Should schools be able to expel students because of their speech (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:54:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should schools be able to expel students because of their speech (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should schools be able to expel students because of their speech  (Read 3146 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: March 14, 2015, 08:15:14 AM »

I would love to see a list of the kind of Unamerican speech, which can get students expelled.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 04:40:53 AM »

I would love to see a list of the kind of Unamerican speech, which can get students expelled.

This has nothing to do with being "Unamerican". Saying the n-word is American as apple pie, baseball and the 4th of July. The problem is that it's racist.

"Sign"

You know the whole "First they came..." by Martin Niemöller. He doesn't mention people he liked, that "they" came for first (in fact he was a anti-communist). In the same way here, what are the next kind of speech, people will be expelled for? What you really open for is for the universities administration to establish a official ideology, which the students have to follow or at least stay silent against if they want to go to that college.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:03:26 AM »

This has nothing to do with being "Unamerican". Saying the n-word is American as apple pie, baseball and the 4th of July. The problem is that it's racist.

"Sign"

You know the whole "First they came..." by Martin Niemöller. He doesn't mention people he liked, that "they" came for first (in fact he was a anti-communist). In the same way here, what are the next kind of speech, people will be expelled for? What you really open for is for the universities administration to establish a official ideology, which the students have to follow or at least stay silent against if they want to go to that college.

Not allowing students to insult, bully or terrorize other students due to their skin colour doesn't seem to be an "official ideology". And, anyways, in Europe, that wouldn't be the question, the question would be "Should prosecutor file charges for heinous speech against those students?".

First of all what do mean with Europe there's 30+ states in Europe with different laws on the subject.

Second I have just skimmed the case, so what I got was that these people had not sung the song in company of "POCs", but in private.

Of course I also try to take this up on a ideology plan, because of the name of this thread. Of course if you ask whether harassment should be reason to expel student; of course. But that's not what this thread ask about. It ask whether what students say should be ground for them being expelled.

So I'm curious what kind of speech should be reason for people being banned. Should it be speech which disturb the public order?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »

"Sign"

i will never stop laughing at people who unironically compare racists (etc) to jews (etc) in nazi germany.

Impressive misreading of what I wrote. Try to look at the bolded sentence in what I wrote, and then look at the bolded sentence in Niemöller's poem.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes I was comparing these frat douche bros with interbellum German communists, not with the German Jews at the time. The point of Niemöller's poem is the lack of reaction when it start, because "they" always start with unpleasant people.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »

The argument really isn't about what speech is permissible.

The student could have chanted "no n----rs in SAE" or "free healthcare for all." Whatever. Universities, even public universities, should be allowed to expel a student for any reason it wants to expel a student.  Selectivity is part of the college process. Admissions select the students and students select their school. If that is unconstitutional then the Constitution needs to be amended because the Constitution is wrong.

I will never care about a student being expelled and what rights they have to attend said school. They can just go to another school.

There are people suffering real impossible justices in our country and world. Let's not waste time defending those who are suffering minor inconveniences as a result of their own actions.

I don't give a flying f**k about these c**nts, what I give a f**k about, are the goddammit shortsightedness of the Left. These c**nts are not thrown out for being a bunch of racist douchebags, they're thrown out for giving OU bad press. You can easily see less deserving victims the next time, and even worse crap like this can in the long term, result in these things becoming wedge issues.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »

Wedge issue for the state making public universities ideological "fair and balanced". If public funded universities begin to push a ideological doctrine, you open up for the the Right using the government to enforce ideological "neutrality".
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 11:52:41 AM »

Conservatives already think universities have a liberal bias.

Yes and they're correct, but when you begin to purge them, you risk they begin to react to that.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »

They already react no matter what. Don't pander to them by not doing the right thing.

... and here we have "The Answer" to why you have the Conservative have been able to pull USA to the right the last 35 years.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies