Should schools be able to expel students because of their speech (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:58:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should schools be able to expel students because of their speech (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should schools be able to expel students because of their speech  (Read 3120 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« on: March 11, 2015, 12:33:44 PM »

In reference to the OU SAE situation of course...

Of course its both sad and embarrassing that people will still revert back to such hateful speech (i blame a combination of alcohol and racist parents for the action in the video).
I also think its both sad and embarrassing that a school would expel students over certain types of speech. Obviously direct threats of violence should be investigated by law enforcement for safety reasons, and in those cases the appropriate legal action should be taken if the threats were proven to be legitimate. Part of me would not be as irritated if universities did not claim to be such bastions of free thinking and learning, but when they are presented as such, it raises a few eyebrows when this happens.

I suppose it comes down to whether or not you believe 'open minded' schools are being hypocritical in not allowing 'close minded' speech. I believe that we have the right to speak out but should suffer societal consequences if our speech is offensive and hateful, NOT institutional consequences, assuming there is no direct violence involved. Ultimately, I think it raises questions over what free speech really extends to and to what extent do universities truly protect free speech rather than selected free speech.

Note: I don't want to have a discussion over whether or not the school has the legal right to do what they did, but rather should they have taken the course of action they did.

Also as an aside, if this is the standard for expulsion I would be unhappy to say that America's college age population would probably drop substantially for all races.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »

Universities have the right to say who attends, and a right to revoke the enrollment of those who break their policies.

Unless you want to make public universities a completely government controlled service, with free admission for all. But I doubt your libertarian ass wants that.

At least read what I wrote first...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »

Universities have the right to say who attends, and a right to revoke the enrollment of those who break their policies.

Unless you want to make public universities a completely government controlled service, with free admission for all. But I doubt your libertarian ass wants that.

At least read what I wrote first...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If you want an answer to that, then yes. It's 2015, sorry it's no longer okay to be racist.

So would you support expelling the students who have made threats of violence and bigoted speech towards greek members not-affiliated with this event?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies