Barnes for Secretary of Internal Affairs (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:22:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Barnes for Secretary of Internal Affairs (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Barnes for Secretary of Internal Affairs (Confirmed)  (Read 1694 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »
« edited: March 15, 2015, 07:18:02 AM by Mideast Senator and Senate speaker windjammer »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Senators, you have at least 72 hours of debates over the nomination of Mr Barnes as Secretary of Internal Affairs.
Mr Barnes will be contacted by PM.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:04:35 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker, Honorable Senators, I am very pleased to be before the Senate today. I will be prepared this evening to make a statement on the merits of my nomination. Until then, I am quite happy to answer any questions you may have for me.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:11:04 PM »

Barnes is an excellent choice, and he will have my full support.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:19:59 PM »

What are your thoughts on the role of the regions? Do you believe they should work more closely with the federal government? Do you have plans regarding how you will work with the regions?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »

What are your thoughts on the role of the regions? Do you believe they should work more closely with the federal government? Do you have plans regarding how you will work with the regions?

That is an excellent question and one that I was hoping I would be asked. 

As Secretary, I envision one of my primary responsibilities as working with the regional governments.  I firmly believe in fully integrating the regional and federal governments into a common playing field.  To do so, I will maintain regular conferences with all regional executives and facilitate trans-regional projects and plans that could use federal funding and support.

An initiative that I consider the centerpiece of my plan is the "Common Economic Program."  The idea here is a fairly simple one: I will work with all regional executives to make sure that the regional economic situation is both realistic and follows the plans of the Game Moderator.  Together, I hope that we will develop economic programs that can be applied on a multi-regional approach to better connect and serve every region within Atlasia. 

I consider the regions to be one of the most interesting factors in Atlasian political life, but I feel that at present they are sadly disconnected from one another and from the federal government.  Imagine what could be achieved if every region and the federal government worked together as a coalition of sort to achieve common goals and policies. 

There will also be areas where the federal government is either unable or unwilling to assist the regions.  If the regions, or a set of them, are so willing, I would act to coordinate a common policy between them that allows for a similar program that was unavailable on the federal level. 

Additionally, there will be a multitude of opportunities to work one-on-one with just one region and I intend to establish a friendly and solid working relationship with every governor.

I realize that the Department of Internal Affairs has had similar lofty plans laid before it before and has many times seen little come of them.  We all have our failings, and I am certainly no exception, but I will spend every hour I have in this office to try and implement this plan to the best of my ability. 

I am fully confident in my ability to do so.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:38:23 PM »

You'll understand that I have SOME concerns about your being in this position.

But I've been impressed with your commitment of late.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:44:47 PM »

You'll understand that I have SOME concerns about your being in this position.

But I've been impressed with your commitment of late.

As I said every person has their failings.  I do not pretend that Atlasia is the most important commitment of my life, and I know you don't as well! Wink

I will just say this, since I decided to rejoin the game in June of last year, I have been active continuously  and held several offices (CJO of the Northeast, Northeast Representative, and Deputy Game Moderator).  In each position, I have served competently and effectively. 

Over the course of nearly six years since I first joined this website, I have had issues with commitment - let's be honest, who hasn't?  But I feel that in every position that I have held during my long time in Atlasia, I have preformed in it very well.  I do not intend to go into further detail because I feel it is unnecessary and could appear rather conceited. 
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 09:51:19 PM »

The only issue I could see with you and this position is your occasional tendency to disappear, but I echo the statement made by Senator Polnut earlier; You've only served admirably and consistently over the last eight months.

You have my full support.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »

What, if any, policy changes will you implement with regard to labor rights and relations as SoIA?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »

The only issue I could see with you and this position is your occasional tendency to disappear, but I echo the statement made by Senator Polnut earlier; You've only served admirably and consistently over the last eight months.

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:11:50 AM »

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 10:57:31 AM »

I have just known you since you rejoined, but you have been active and encouraged throughout this time, and I have the fullest confidence that you will be the same in this position. And even if such activity problems existed, we also did vote to confirm Potus. Tongue

I will support your confirmation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »

Barnes is not only a distinguished former holder of the office he's being considered for again. He was also an invaluable help first to Dr Cynic, then yours truly as Deputy GM. I urge a speed confirmation Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »

What, if any, policy changes will you implement with regard to labor rights and relations as SoIA?

Atlasia is a world-leader in labor rights and opportunities.  Strong action by both the federal and regional governments have preserved the powers of unions to represent and defend the Atlasian worker. 

There must also be a fair balance between the rights of workers and the rights of employers.  Again, I believe that government action has preserved this balance which is crucial for economic growth as well as the harmony of all people within Atlasia.

As I mentioned in describing my Common Economic Program, I want to help co-ordinate and improve economic programs throughout the country on both a regional and federal level.  In this effort, I will always seek to consult with unions and workers to make sure that their rights are being respected.

I will advise the Senate on any bill that is before it that is within my portfolio.   We must all work to further the interest of the common Atlasian, the men and women whose voice cannot be heard alone.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »

I don't know what activity problems you might've had before I joined the game, but since I've joined Barnes has been a committed participant to Atlasia and I see no problem voting in favor of his confirmation.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 07:59:40 PM »

Barnes has my full support. Very competent officeholder!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »

What 'rights' do employers have that employees should recognize?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »

What 'rights' do employers have that employees should recognize?

Let's not draw ourselves into a wasteful battle of semantics. The simple right to run their businesses and be successful, while respecting and preserving the rights of their employees. I want our economy to be both productive and inclusive.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »

The 72 hours have elapsed. Senators, please, vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 01:25:01 PM »

Aye
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »

AYE