Cotton: Don't use Obamacare because Russian mobsters will steal your identity!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:23:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cotton: Don't use Obamacare because Russian mobsters will steal your identity!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cotton: Don't use Obamacare because Russian mobsters will steal your identity!  (Read 1834 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2015, 01:00:31 PM »

Presidential material.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/gop-senator-tom-cotton-told-uninsured-constituent-not-use-obamacare-because

On November 23rd, 2013, he held a town hall meeting in his district in Hot Springs, Arkansas at the Clarion Lake Resort. The meeting was organized primarily to discuss the Affordable Care Act, most specifically the mishaps with the websites governing the health insurance exchanges.

At one point, a constituent submitted a question mentioning that her insurance plan had been cancelled and she refuses to utilize the exchanges that Obama, who she calls a liar, set up.

Rather than telling her that she has an obligation for her own health to seek insurance, Cotton goaded her on, telling her that he himself wouldn't use the exchange website because “Russian mobsters” may steal his identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hv6zqPdIDZM
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »

The justification for Obamacare was beady-eyed price gouging insurance actuaries. No surprise the counterarguments are equally irrelevant and fanciful.

People like using insurance benefits as tax-free compensation. Naturally, it doesn't function much like insurance after that, but let's rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic a few more times.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »

This guy is a moron, but so are 95% of elected Republicans.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 02:55:05 PM »

I'm so glad Tom Cotton is proving to be the new dumbest Senator.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:13:33 PM »

His backers must be evil.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:49:35 PM »

I'm so glad Tom Cotton is proving to be the new dumbest Senator.

I don't know, he's got some tough competition. Like Rubio, who thinks that ISIS and Iran are best pals.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »

No, he is evil. His backers are just dumb.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »

The website's past problems along with the increased threat of cyber attacks make this a potential possibility.

The threat of cyber attacks make doing anything online a potential possibility. Aetna.com could easily lose this data as Healthcare.gov could; private businesses like Target have already suffered this problem.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 05:59:43 PM »

The website's past problems along with the increased threat of cyber attacks make this a potential possibility.

All internet activity carries such threats. Best play it safe and stop posting here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 01:42:40 AM »

No, there weren't any concerns about the website's integrity in Nov 2013, everything was working fine and had been thoroughly tested....  Really?Huh
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 02:38:09 AM »

All internet activity carries such threats. Best play it safe and stop posting here.

Atlas Forum does not hold millions of people's healthcare information in a flawed database.

But your insurance company, regardless of whether you purchase it via an exchange or obtain it through an employer, holds your healthcare information in a flawed database anyway. Recently, 80 million records were stolen from Anthem BlueCross BlueShield's servers. No such attack has happened on healthcare.gov, problematic though that website may be.

If you're afraid of having your identity stolen, your only solution is to avoid healthcare entirely and to just accept the cold embrace of death the next time you get sick. Cause, you know, Russian mobsters.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 03:02:29 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2015, 03:09:00 AM by Fubart Solman »

This guy is quickly becoming my least favorite national Republican legislator.

Louie Gohmert is at least funny (inadvertently on his part though).

EDIT: I just checked this link out:

What the [inks]ing hell? That's one of the most un-American things I've ever heard of.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When I was born, only one of my great-grandparents was still alive and she died within a few months at the age of 90. I quite literally have no recollection of her and Cotton's proposal would have effectively made a 3-month old me guilty if my great-grandmother had violated those sanctions.

Wow.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 03:10:13 AM »

Potential possibilities are the worst kind of possibility imho. Do you think Tom Cotton being hit in the face with a sword is a potential possibility? Please reply in Hebrew.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 03:14:58 AM »

Soon he'll be claiming that you shouldn't be in Social Security because Lisa Simpson can hack the website and steal your identity.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 06:35:54 AM »

Tom Cotton, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Making Stuff Up
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2015, 01:31:05 PM by shua »

Seriously, does anyone remember what was going on with the website in Nov 2013?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101225308

This website was built in a rush, remember?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »

Atlas Forum does not hold millions of people's healthcare information in a flawed database.

But your insurance company, regardless of whether you purchase it via an exchange or obtain it through an employer, holds your healthcare information in a flawed database anyway. Recently, 80 million records were stolen from Anthem BlueCross BlueShield's servers. No such attack has happened on healthcare.gov, problematic though that website may be.

If you're afraid of having your identity stolen, your only solution is to avoid healthcare entirely and to just accept the cold embrace of death the next time you get sick. Cause, you know, Russian mobsters.

Are you a dumb, Moderate?  No, the idea is to suck it up and yank those bootstraps because America and buy your healthcare like any freedom loving person would.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 02:06:17 PM »

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to worry about sharing your personal information since someone could just break into your place and steal it anyway.
Hey, could some of you send me your SSN and Credit Cards?  I'm going to make a map.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 02:12:14 PM »

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to worry about sharing your personal information since someone could just break into your place and steal it anyway.
Hey, could some of you send me your SSN and Credit Cards?  I'm going to make a map.

If you are worried about stolen SSN and credit cards, get regular credit reports and keep good track of your finances. Don't avoid buying things all together.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 05:31:16 PM »

Soon he'll be claiming that you shouldn't be in Social Security because Lisa Simpson can hack the website and steal your identity.

The argument is real... unfortunately Cotton has the wrong set of facts buttressing it. These days anyone can hack a machine with the right equipment, so instead of going after Obamacare for being "hackable' maybe they should go after the hackers and/or any countries sponsoring them? (assuming the Tea Party isn't sponsoring anti-Obamacare hackathons themselves- of course)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 05:53:23 PM »

The argument is real... unfortunately Cotton has the wrong set of facts buttressing it. These days anyone can hack a machine with the right equipment, so instead of going after Obamacare for being "hackable' maybe they should go after the hackers and/or any countries sponsoring them? (assuming the Tea Party isn't sponsoring anti-Obamacare hackathons themselves- of course)

I don't think it's very feasible doing that, but you know, generally, if you are in a war against hackers, you almost always are certain to lose, if you aren't ahead of the curve.  The greatest problem, really, is not Obamacare, but the fact hacking is  quite easier than you and I wish it was.  To use that fact to build an argument against Obamacare, supporting repeal, makes it baloney.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »

I don't think it's very feasible doing that, but you know, generally, if you are in a war against hackers, you almost always are certain to lose, if you aren't ahead of the curve.  The greatest problem, really, is not Obamacare, but the fact hacking is  quite easier than you and I wish it was.  To use that fact to build an argument against Obamacare, supporting repeal, makes it baloney.

Which is pretty close to what I just said...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »

I guess you and I are close in terms of our stances on this particular issue then.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 07:56:06 PM »

I guess you and I are close in terms of our stances on this particular issue then.

This narrow portion of the issue, yes.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 12:08:16 AM »

If you are worried about stolen SSN and credit cards, get regular credit reports and keep good track of your finances. Don't avoid buying things all together.

Awesome. Does this mean you'll pm me your info?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies