Office of Senate Speaker Windjammer (Farewell)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:14:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senate Speaker Windjammer (Farewell)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Office of Senate Speaker Windjammer (Farewell)  (Read 3414 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2015, 03:46:01 PM »
« edited: May 28, 2015, 06:54:39 PM by Mideast Senator and Senate speaker windjammer »

Well, considering I have been elected Speaker for this session, I believe it's time to open a new office.
I would like to thank my senate colleagues for having chosen me, this is a great honour (see the emotion Tongue).
I would like to thank Lief and Griffin for having encouraged me to run.
I would like to thank TNF for having managed to administer the senate before my election.
I would like to thank Cranberry for having run against me because competitive elections are always good.
 I would like to thank Yankee for having supported me and for having encouraged me to run too.
I thank him in advanc for all the good advices he will send me by PM during my term Tongue.
I would like to thank my longtime friend Cris for having crossed party lines when he decided to vote for me.
And finally, I would like to thank Bore for having managed to administer effectively during the last 2 senate sessions and for having appointed my friend Nix as VP because good relations between the VP and the Speaker/PPT are really important in order to administer effectively the senate.

Now, after having thanked all these great persons, I would like to present what I would like to do as Speaker. I would like to modernize this office. I indeed believe that the senate as an institution isn't completely understood by atlasian citizens. That's why I would like to improve communication between atlasian citizens and the senate. I plan to be a liaison officer twice:
- between the senate and the citizens: I'm updating constantly the 66th senate noticeboard.. Cris and myself are doing many things here about senate stuff: activity tracker, how much a senator votes with an another senator, and soon an economic, social and foreign tracker. An amendment tracker as well. We definitely want to make the senate more "visible" for you Smiley. I will use my office to sum as well which issues are currently debated.

-Between the president and the senate: my goal isn't to be a hack and to use the rules in order to approve the easiest way my agenda. My goal as Speaker is to create the best ever possible conditions in order to create the best conditions for the debate of bills presented by the president or by the senators. As the speaker of the senate, my goal isn't to make these bills pass (this is my job as senator to compromise with the other members of the senate and the president), but that the debates are held effectively. That's why I plan to follow the rules strictly because without doing that chaos would happen. As Speaker of the Senate, I can basically "suspend" the rules. I will obviously not use that often, only in cases where not doing that would create a bigger chaos. Example: if I didn't have suspended the rules for this bill : this bill would have literally been withdrawn because of a technicality, while senators are still debating about this bill. That would have been a TOTAL MESS.

I'm currently as well the acting President of the Senate with the vacancy of the Vice Presidency, that's why I'm administering the executive nominations threads. But when Nix will be confirmed, this will be his duty.

I plan as well to welcome any new senator in this body. Any citizen and any senator can PM me about rules or anything relating to the senate, I would be happy to help.

If you have any questions, I'm available Smiley.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:07:40 PM »

I prefer "PPT" to "Speaker" Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »

Me too Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2015, 03:15:24 PM by Barnes »

Congratulations on your election - you will do marvelously in the position!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »

Thanks for saving my bill (even if it has been altered severly from what I envisioned it doing Tongue).

Also, thanks for restoring the amendment tracker. I kept that thing alive for years and even maintained it for PPTs bgwah and Marokai Blue. I do plan to go back and record all the amendments offered since December and once I do I will have all the trackers going back to March of 2011 saved in my files. These are at your disposal if you want them.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »

Me Three.

Though as long as the PPT doesn't exist my record both overall and for longest consecutive term as PPT will remain unbreakable. Wink

Just like my record as the only "IDS" Regional Senator. August 6, 2010-February 22?, 2015? Tongue
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 01:28:36 AM »

Me four Pacman
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 03:26:34 AM »

Congratulations!
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 10:30:48 AM »

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 01:55:36 PM »

I'm glad to see you at this point Windjammer. Mad props.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 06:06:16 AM »

Sorry for having been so long to answer. Thank you guys for your kind words.

I would like to congratulate Griffin on his victory. I wish Foucaulf and JCL well as well.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 06:37:43 AM »

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 01:19:47 PM »

Haha Tongue

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 03:37:23 PM »

Thank you a lot Griffin Cheesy.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 07:12:57 AM »

It appears that many people are "announcing" something. Well, I have personally nothing to say. I anyone has any suggestion to make about me, I would be willing to hear!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »

I do apologize for not having updated my office sooner.  I have been extremely busy irl, so I have chosen to focuse on the administration of the senate.
I just would like to say that this is a great pleasure to work with the rest of my senate colleagues.
I'm really happy as well that Bore signed the Set it and Leave it....
I will try to post the activity scores soon and some other things.
I will introduce a legislation amending the senate rules soon as well.

Any question? Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 08:49:30 AM »

Why is the Senate such a generally god-awful place, and why did I ever decide to focus on trying to win so many seats in that chamber at the expense of the regions? Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 09:04:19 AM »

Why is the Senate such a generally god-awful place, and why did I ever decide to focus on trying to win so many seats in that chamber at the expense of the regions? Tongue
Well, I know that some people like Lumine and Foucaulf are trying to deteriorate the current atlasian atmosphere for partisan gains, but really, don't be fooled by that. Senators seem to appreciate each other, some bills have passed/failed by a strong consensus. There is really a working atmosphere and that's really great to work with all these people Cheesy.

Why have you chosen not to focuse on the region? The question should be: why haven't WE chosen to focuse on the region Cheesy? Well, considering the panicked messages I sent you last month: "THE MIDWEST ELECTIONS ARE A ING MESS, WE NEED TO FOCUS MORE ON THE REGION." You should know that this is a mistake we have now corrected Cheesy.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »

Well, I know that some people like Lumine and Foucaulf are trying to deteriorate the current atlasian atmosphere for partisan gains, but really, don't be fooled by that. Senators seem to appreciate each other, some bills have passed/failed by a strong consensus. There is really a working atmosphere and that's really great to work with all these people Cheesy.

How exactly is Lumine "trying to deteriorate the current atlasian atmosphere for partisan gains"? By moderating the gubernatorial debate in the South? By reviving a harmless but informative media outlet? Or by posting polls?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »

By posting polls. I find it strange to see the number of threads created just about a bill. I really wonder why...
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »

By posting polls. I find it strange to see the number of threads created just about a bill. I really wonder why...

Are you serious? Posting polls on bills that have attracted a lot of attention and are debated vigorously by several members of the Senate is an attempt at deteriorating the political atmosphere in your book?

If Atlasians are no longer allowed to do that without being accused of harming the political discourse in the game, what else is there left to do in Atlasia?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 03:24:29 PM »

Nothing like the pleasant aroma of déjà vu on a sunny Sunday afternoon… Wink
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »

Are you serious? Posting polls on bills that have attracted a lot of attention and are debated vigorously by several members of the Senate is an attempt at deteriorating the political atmosphere in your book?

If Atlasians are no longer allowed to do that without being accused of harming the political discourse in the game, what else is there left to do in Atlasia?

Oh please, come on Zuwo, stop using the card "oh I'm shocked". It doesn't work with me. You have been in my position for a longer time than myself. You know exactly how the game works, how these things work. People see a potential controversial thing, so they try to make it a big controversy. This is obviously what he's doing with the 2 polls he created.

And I don't blame him either. Griffin or I would have done the same than him in his current position. He has the right to do that. But I have the right to notice that publicly, the right of free speech, right?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »

No, I am actually shocked about some things that have been happening lately.

A few Senators and the President are more or less openly discouraging citizens from posting in Senate threads even when their contributions are useful. Now we have a Senate Speaker who attacks a private citizen for conducting polls on controversial bills. Both things would have been unheard of in Atlasia just a few months ago

Things are getting worse really quickly, and if there are officeholders who want to stifle participation in this game completely this is exactly what they need to do.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies