Office of Senate Speaker Windjammer (Farewell)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:41:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senate Speaker Windjammer (Farewell)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Office of Senate Speaker Windjammer (Farewell)  (Read 3413 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 03:50:28 PM »

No, I am actually shocked about some things that have been happening lately.

A few Senators and the President are more or less openly discouraging citizens from posting in Senate threads even when their contributions are useful. Now we have a Senate Speaker who attacks a private citizen for conducting polls on controversial bills. Both things would have been unheard of in Atlasia just a few months ago

Things are getting worse really quickly, and if there are officeholders who want to stifle participation in this game completely this is exactly what they need to do.

Of course it would have been unheard a few months ago, because the office of Senate speaker has never existed before. And come on, the game before was much worse than now. I mean, don't you remember, for example Wolfentoad who was leading smear PM wars against people?

But more seriously, I have never been fan of polls in the atlas fantasy election board. I have always believed this is a way to make a big issue about something that clearly shouldn't. This is the same problem we have with referendums you know irl. For example, making a poll about a senate race and strangely too many people voted to be realistic (ie: the Southeast senate race recently. Yankee was never going to lose 10-0). Or an another example, the opinion of "xxxxx", so many ways to hijack itin order make the senator look bad.

And this is the same thing I'm reproaching with polls about a bill. This is a way to influence the process or to make people look bad and I don't like at all (and this is the case with 2 polls). If people have something to say, I would prefer them to debate directly in the senate threads.

But people are obviously free to do whatever they want, I just give my opinion, something I have the constitutional right to do so Smiley. I'm not trying to shutdown his newspaper (like I have never tried to do so by the way) or whatever.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2015, 03:58:44 PM by President bore »

A few Senators and the President are more or less openly discouraging citizens from posting in Senate threads even when their contributions are useful. Now we have a Senate Speaker who attacks a private citizen for conducting polls on controversial bills. Both things would have been unheard of in Atlasia just a few months ago

I told yankee this in a PM, but I may as well post it in public as well.

It seems to me like you pretty much read into my post what you wanted to read. And that's fine. The idea that there are nefarious conspiracies is a fun one, which I, myself, occasionally indulge in.

But what you seem to have got from my post has very little to do with the actual text of it. There was an ongoing discussion in that thread about the way the senate should deal with non senators and I gave my view, as someone who ran the senate for 4 months under the current rules, of how I ran it, and how I think it should more generally be done. I never mentioned Yankee's name and I never said what the senate should do about that particular case.

I was also very very clear (as in, I literally said so) that citizens contributions, when they are factual or provide a different perspective are to be welcomed so have no idea where you got that from.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »

Wait,

What is going on? Are people discouraging citizens from posting in senate thrads?

Just to be clear: I wasn't aware of that. My opinion on this subject has always been clear: every citizen has the right to post in the senate threads and I encourage it. As I just said, I prefer that than postings polls or whatever. Just for the record.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 04:12:01 PM »

Wait,

What is going on? Are people discouraging citizens from posting in senate thrads?

Just to be clear: I wasn't aware of that. My opinion on this subject has always been clear: every citizen has the right to post in the senate threads and I encourage it. As I just said, I prefer that than postings polls or whatever. Just for the record.

I don't think Zuwo is lumping you in with the other. Just that he finds it concerning that one side you have X and the other side you have Y and both are undesirable.

You have been welcoming of contributions in the Senate threads and I appreciate the invitation you sent me in this regard. Smiley

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 04:19:28 PM »

Things are getting worse really quickly, and if there are officeholders who want to stifle participation in this game completely this is exactly what they need to do.

Of course it would have been unheard a few months ago, because the office of Senate speaker has never existed before. And come on, the game before was much worse than now. I mean, don't you remember, for example Wolfentoad who was leading smear PM wars against people?

But more seriously, I have never been fan of polls in the atlas fantasy election board. I have always believed this is a way to make a big issue about something that clearly shouldn't. This is the same problem we have with referendums you know irl. For example, making a poll about a senate race and strangely too many people voted to be realistic (ie: the Southeast senate race recently. Yankee was never going to lose 10-0). Or an another example, the opinion of "xxxxx", so many ways to hijack itin order make the senator look bad.

And this is the same thing I'm reproaching with polls about a bill. This is a way to influence the process or to make people look bad and I don't like at all (and this is the case with 2 polls). If people have something to say, I would prefer them to debate directly in the senate threads.

But people are obviously free to do whatever they want, I just give my opinion, something I have the constitutional right to do so Smiley. I'm not trying to shutdown his newspaper (like I have never tried to do so by the way) or whatever.

But it wasn't Lumine that brought this issue up. He didn't create the controversy with the polls, he merely created them in reaction to the objections raised by several in publics threads including Simfan and Oakvale as well as many others including PiT and myself.

Now one example where a poll did set off a controversy was me polling the supreme court approvals in May 2013 for Survey Atlasia once they let NC Yankee v. Atlasia sit a mont with no ruling. THat led to impeachement trails, the expectations amendment and finally several attempts at judicialy term limits. Needless to say that raced far beyond my expectations and I ended up an opponent of the "court reform" movement for the most part post June, though I did work with Tyrion his proposal in the fall as a term limit alternative.

These are part of Atlasia though and it would probably be a boring place without them. Imagine how much fun it would have been if I had won, without getting 30% in a single poll the final month. Grin
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »

Thank you Yankee.

So, just to clarify my stances Tongue :

- I hate literally the polls for many reasons irl:
  x They always have a goal behind: the formulation, the timing etc etc.
  x They're not completely reliable
  x Politicians focus too much on that instead of really trying to advance policies.

- And I hate polls on this fantasy election even more because there are always goals behind and this is easier to hijack them Cheesy. People are free to do that, but I don't like that and I will always use my constitutional right of free speech to express my disdain to that.

However, I strongly encourage every citizen to participate to the senate threads. I hate direct democracy but I don't see that as a problem because this is still the senators who have the right to vote. And citizens often manage to improve the bills.

-----
Oh, it appears I need to follow more Atlasia. I thought the controversy started with these polls. My apology Tongue.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 01:37:13 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Gonna have to stop you right there, Windjammer. What is wrong with actually seeking to measure the opinion of the people on certain issues, as many others have done before on multiple ocassions? All I've done is to pose a question and then let the citizens vote on it, and if that's the definition of "trying to deteriorate" the atlasian atmosphere then something's clearly not working in Atlasia.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 12:00:46 PM »

Just curious, why did you delete your previous answer?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 12:20:34 PM »

Just curious, why did you delete your previous answer?
Because I wanted to make a longer answer later and that I didn't have the time right now Tongue. Don't worry you will get your answer.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »

I’m obviously a bit paranoid, but I have always the feeling that everything you’re doing, that you have been doing with this newspaper has been to undermine Labor. I indeed find it strange that you have opened a poll about the Sexual Consent bill, even if there was basically no senator who was supporting this bill. I wonder why… Oh I know ! Trying to make Labor look bad, like with the other poll about the police the policing bill. Oh, look at these polls, look at Labor’s extremism. 

I know how you play the game Lumine, I know you for quite a longer time than most of the current active players. And this kind of things is clearly typical from you. Oh, just to be clear, you have the right to do that, and I do respect your ability of being a nuisance for my party (like Griffin and Lief were 2 nuisances during your presidency Cheesy). Bust just to tell you I’m not blind.

And the other reason I don’t like this kind of things is that I don’t want Atlasia to become like irl, where polls are basically making politics, with all of their flaws irl, and with their even bigger flaws on this site (ie even more inaccurate). See my previous posts for that.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 04:12:41 PM »

If the people think Labor proposals are extreme, that's a fact that the Labor Party will either have to deal with or ignore. It's not a crime to advertise and ask about what's happening in the senate.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »

If the people think Labor proposals are extreme, that's a fact that the Labor Party will either have to deal with or ignore. It's not a crime to advertise and ask about what's happening in the senate.
I never said it was a crime. Thanks. I just find that boring.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »

A "bit paranoid" is an understatement if you think running polls is comparable to Lief and Griffin's behavior. If I did or say anything resembling what they are allowed to you can bet I would have been publicly crucified. And mind you, it's not the first time members of your party try to demonize me.

Furthermore, it should be noted that by stating that those polls are anti-Labor you are essentially admitting both bills were going to have a negative reception among the public. An amazing show of faith on said bills, wouldn't you agree?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »

Please find a single post where I was saying I supported these bills...

--------
I will soon make an important announcement.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 01:31:51 AM »

Jammin4President!!! Tongue

Use Bob Marley for a theme song.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »

Well,
This is my last day as Senate Speaker and as Senator representing the beloved Mideast. It has been a high honor to represent this state. And I have really appreciated to work with all my senate colleagues. So I would like to thank them all: Bore, JCL, Deus, Cranberry, BK, DemPGH, Cris, Hagrid, Yankee, Polnut, Blair, SWE, Talleyrand, Griffi, TNF and Lief (I hope I have not forgotten anyone). You have all been fantastic and I wish you simply the best Smiley.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2015, 07:04:59 PM »

Congratulations on a successful tenure, Senator. I look forward to working with you to improve our Region.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2015, 09:02:03 PM »

The Mideast is thankful for your service, and welcomes you to our regional government.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 03:08:14 AM »

I am going to miss you being in the Senate. Sad
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2015, 03:12:00 AM »

I am going to miss you being in the Senate. Sad I can only hope that your successor(s) are of similar mind on the Senate rules and such, though perhaps a tad more conservative in other areas. Wink Tongue Certainly most of all that they are as active and dedicated as you have been.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2015, 03:58:51 AM »

You've been a brilliant speaker and Senator-hope you enjoy the Governors mansion
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 04:13:22 AM »

Welcome to the governors' club.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »

Thank you for your awesome service in the Senate, I am sure you will do just as excellent in your new job as Governor!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »

You've done a great job in the Senate, Windjammer! I'm sure you'll also enjoy being a Gov. and will do very well.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »

Thank you all for your kind words.Smiley

I just resigned. I have updated everything, so good luck to everybody Smiley.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies