Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted].
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:48:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted].
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58
Author Topic: Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted].  (Read 161029 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 08:54:27 PM »

How many family dinners in this 5 day vacation?  12?  20?

3 more (4 total).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »

I have plans for the rest of the week and the weekend and I'm not going to break those.

And just what are these plans?

A lot of family time and meeting up with a couple of my missionary friends to China who are in the States for 6 months.

What do you do during "family time"?  Sit around and talk?  You could try standing and talking, you know.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 09:03:24 PM »

I have plans for the rest of the week and the weekend and I'm not going to break those.

A lot of family time and meeting up with a couple of my missionary friends to China who are in the States for 6 months.

What do you do during "family time"?  Sit around and talk?  You could try standing and talking, you know.

That would be quite awkward and may make everyone else uncomfortable.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 09:07:54 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2015, 09:10:55 PM by Monarch »

lol

What if you told them the reason you were standing behind the couch while the family talked instead of sitting on the couch was to help you get used to standing long hours for your new job? Not only is it a conversation piece but it would eliminate the uh... "uncomfortableness" of witnessing somebody stand.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 09:08:43 PM »

Just explain why you're doing it and ask them to be understanding and deal with it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 09:12:51 PM »

Update XXIII: Awkward and Uncomfortable Standing

No, seriously, how many family members are we talking about here?  If it's just your parents, what's the big deal?  You don't need to block out all day to talk to them.  If it's a bunch of people visiting from out of town…are you telling me that at family gatherings, no one ever has a conversation while standing up?  You never talk to people while you're standing?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »

I imagine a good bit is spent satching TV together and making related small talk while they watch.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »

I'm afraid that Jeff's refusal to do the bare minimum to prepare his body or even respond to my suggestion that he try to go walking in new or interesting locations doesn't bode well for his prospects. This will play out as it always has: smug overconfidence before the job, excuses and ignorance while on the job, realization of what should have been done only after the job is gone.

Anyone care to predict a Bushie post from a month from now?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 11:08:11 PM »

I'm afraid that Jeff's refusal to do the bare minimum to prepare his body or even respond to my suggestion that he try to go walking in new or interesting locations doesn't bode well for his prospects. This will play out as it always has: smug overconfidence before the job, excuses and ignorance while on the job, realization of what should have been done only after the job is gone.

Anyone care to predict a Bushie post from a month from now?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

You forgot, "if I don't make it in tomorrow then so be it" or something of the sort. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 11:13:55 PM »

So, I gather by this purchase you aren't going to attempt to stand 8 hours in the next 12 11 days and will just assume your magic shoes will solve the problem.

I have nothing to stand up 8 hours for.  I have no practical reason other than conditioning to do so.

That's a practical reason, dopey. We are trying to tell you that, in order to maximize your chances of succeeding, you should put your body through some trials NOW.

What would I do while I'm standing for 8 hours?  I am not going to walk for 8 hours.  I will play on the internet some, but that's hard to do standing up.  I just have nothing to do while I'm standing up for 8 hours.  I'll be fine.  Trust me.

Why is it that we all care about your success more than you do?

Here's a novel idea: choose eight different locations around Oklahoma City to visit and walk around in them all in one day. Whatever you want ... a mall, a Walmart, a Cracker Barrel, whatever. Just keep moving. Maybe a zoo (it's nice out now) or a park. See things you haven't seen, keep your mind occupied and just walk. Maybe download an audiobook and listen to it while you walk in a park. Change locations if you need to keep interested. Just keep moving.

I wish you would trust us that this job will physically wreck someone like you if you refuse to do some basic conditioning.

I can do it.  I will be on my feet for no more than 2 to 2 1/2 hours at a time.  I will have 2 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch that I can sit down.  I have no doubt I will be very, very sore, but it will be good for me.  I have plans for the rest of the week and the weekend and I'm not going to break those.  You all have to trust me.  I will be fine.

Okay so don't stand for 8 hours straight, incorporate any breaks you would take into standing like you would during an 8 hour shift

Stand up for 2 1/2 hours, doing 15minutes or so of walking during that span.

Sit down for 15 minutes

Stand for 2 hours, walk around for 10 of them

Sit down for 30 minutes & gorge yourself on whatever crap you would shovel into your body

Stand for 2 hours, walk for a few of those minutes

Sit for 15 minutes

Stand for an hour and 30 minutes.  Walk around 3 times 5 minutes each

It might seem like a silly concept, but someone as out of shape as you need to practice standing and being on your feet all day
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 01:32:02 AM »

Goddammit Bushie they ain't gonna give you a chair to sit on all day while you're working.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 01:39:37 AM »

Goddammit Bushie they ain't gonna give you a chair to sit on all day while you're working.
He knows that. But he has faith that this evil-dictator-loving god of his will give him the energy and willpower he needs to do the job.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 02:11:24 AM »

God will do for bushie whatever is most entertaining to her. We all know how this will end. If he can barely make it two hours, he won't make it eight.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 08:37:01 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »

The worst thing is Bushie is basically now in a position of ultimate freedom, he neither has to work or look for a job for the next 11 days, and he's apparentely going to waste it all watching third tier sports and sitting on his ass poting on Atlas like he always does. Instead of both having fun doing enjoyable things (like Al and J-Mann proposed) and making it easier to walk and stand for hours on end once he actually has to.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »

bushie, you're throwing this opportunity away. if you don't get used to standing for long periods of time now, you will lose your job within a month. this is not an exaggeration.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »

bushie, you're throwing this opportunity away. if you don't get used to standing for long periods of time now, you will lose your job within a month. this is not an exaggeration.

You don't know that.  You can't say for certain that I'm done for because I have a chair now.  Instead, I'm trying a different approach, I'm staying off my feet as much as I can so they can be fresh for the first day.  That's not the wrong approach, nor is it a detrimental approach.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 09:25:40 AM »

You don't know that.  You can't say for certain that I'm done for because I have a chair now.  Instead, I'm trying a different approach, I'm staying off my feet as much as I can so they can be fresh for the first day.  That's not the wrong approach, nor is it a detrimental approach.

That is physically, scientifically, factually the exact wrong approach.

If I want to run a marathon, would you recommend rest and not breathing much to keep my lungs fresh? You are an incompetent, stubborn fool who might as well literally drive up here and spit in my face, since you outright reject facts from those who have done this before.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:29 AM »

Bushie that's absolutely insane. Have you never watched a sports movie before? Nobody has ever prepared for the big fight/game/match by sitting on their ass to be fresh and rested.

RIP job.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 09:31:54 AM »

And what's absolutely mind-blowing about all these is that no one is recommending that you do anything more than WALK. Are you so physically incapable, mentally dense and organizationally inept that you can't do even this?

I'll support you when people recommend things that are out of reach -- you weren't going to turn into a gormet chef in a few weeks and would only open yourself up to further tirades if you attempted to cook "to be familiar with meat." But Jesus Christ, Jeff ... WALKING.

I'm over 100 pounds lighter than you and have a lot of experience with both exercise and manual labor. I'm not f*****g around with my recommendations. They're proven to help, and I have your success in mind. Why do you insist on doing the opposite?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2015, 09:35:41 AM »

If I want to run a marathon, would you recommend rest and not breathing much to keep my lungs fresh? You are an incompetent, stubborn fool who might as well literally drive up here and spit in my face, since you outright reject facts from those who have done this before.

Okay, maybe that is not a good approach, but I still go back to the notion that it's just not practical right now for me to stand up for several hours a day.  The situations I find myself in and the set up of the rooms I find myself in do not lend themselves to stand up for 8 hours and continue to do every single thing I would be doing while sitting down.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2015, 09:41:01 AM »

You have valid arguments, but until you spend an entire week walking step-by-step with me, you cannot judge me as being lazy or incompetent or intentionally throwing away a golden opportunity anything of the like.  I am doing what I can with the situations I've been given.  If that's not good enough for you then too bad.  I will be fine with this job.  I know I will be sore everyday, but that will only last 2-3 weeks maximum and then I'll get used to it.  READ MY LIPS:  I WILL BE FINE!!!!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »

Find yourself in a different situation then... I don't get why it's weird to be standing up in a room while talking to a person. Or to stand up while watching TV.

J-Mann
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2015, 09:43:24 AM »

Why not get outside RIGHT NOW and walk? What are you doing otherwise? Sitting on your ass reading the Forum? TV? There's nothing more important that you could be doing than this right now.

You don't know that.  You can't say for certain that I'm done for because I have a chair now.  Instead, I'm trying a different approach, I'm staying off my feet as much as I can so they can be fresh for the first day.  That's not the wrong approach, nor is it a detrimental approach.

Okay, maybe that is not a good approach, but I still go back to the notion that it's just not practical right now for me to stand up for several hours a day.  The situations I find myself in and the set up of the rooms I find myself in do not lend themselves to stand up for 8 hours and continue to do every single thing I would be doing while sitting down.

WALK JEFF. Take the family and friends you want to visit with out with you! Recommend you go visit a park or a zoo or a farmer's market to spend some time together, and be honest that you're acclimating your body to a heavier physical load. Damnit, just do it!

You have valid arguments, but until you spend an entire week walking step-by-step with me, you cannot judge me as being lazy or incompetent or intentionally throwing away a golden opportunity anything of the like.  I am doing what I can with the situations I've been given.  If that's not good enough for you then too bad.  I will be fine with this job.  I know I will be sore everyday, but that will only last 2-3 weeks maximum and then I'll get used to it.  READ MY LIPS:  I WILL BE FINE!!!!

We have walked with you, by following your every move for half-a-decade. It's why we are recommending what we are. Spend time WALKING. The only reason you wouldn't now is pure laziness.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2015, 09:45:36 AM »

Find yourself in a different situation then... I don't get why it's weird to be standing up in a room while talking to a person. Or to stand up while watching TV.

The layout of the room matters to.  I am not going to rearrange the room to make it more accessible.  It's easy to stand up doing those things, but I don't have a counter to set my laptop on to stand behind and watch TV.  And, I am not going to intentionally find a new situation just for 10 days of preparation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies