Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted].
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:02:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted].
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58
Author Topic: Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted].  (Read 160490 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: March 27, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »

Wait, his doctor told him he was nutrient deprived?

I thought his indian doctors always told him he was in great shape and to not worry about losing weight?

Yes, he told me I was anemic.  I looked at him a little funny at first, but he explained it and I wasn't a bit surprised.

He also said my bad cholesterol had jumped nearly 40 pts in the last year from 96 to 132 and my good cholesterol is 1 point below normal.

My blood pressure was slightly higher than normal, but still not bad.  My blood sugar was perfectly normal.

did he say anything at all about your super-obesity?

Just that it's the cause of the anemia, high cholesterol, etc.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #851 on: March 27, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »

Protip: Fiber is what makes productive dumps. The more fiber, the better. Let's roll!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #852 on: March 27, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »

Protip: Fiber is what makes productive dumps. The more fiber, the better. Let's roll!

Think of the weight-loss implications! All the fat will get pooped right out!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #853 on: March 27, 2015, 06:01:18 PM »

Work Night 6 is underway!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #854 on: March 27, 2015, 06:14:43 PM »

But in a tragic clerical error in the Update space time continuum, tomorrow is Work Day 666. RIP.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #855 on: March 27, 2015, 09:19:47 PM »

But in a tragic clerical error in the Update space time continuum, tomorrow is Work Day 666. RIP.

Just a typo. In that bizarro universe, Bushie just slim-fingered the keyboard.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #856 on: March 27, 2015, 11:05:10 PM »

I had a great time at Dave & Buster's.  Even though it took us an hour to get seated, it was a great time of fellowshipping and playing adult arcade games!  I'm now home and will probably go to bed around midnight.  My alarm will be set for 0715.  I need to leave at 0815 in the morning for the All-Staff Meeting at work which goes from 0900-1300.  I will find out more about my role in the meat department in Owasso as well as get my schedule for "GO Week" (Grand Opening Week).  The schedule will also include Easter Sunday.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #857 on: March 27, 2015, 11:29:15 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2015, 11:32:39 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

An ex-Evangelical friend is trying to explain some Evangelical lingo to me and I wanted to ask Bushie for corroboration on some of it.

Is it true that the word 'worship' refers specifically to parts of a service that include singing and doesn't include communion or the sermon or whatever else?
Is it true that the word 'liturgy' is frowned upon even though the service seems to have a set order? If so, do you know why?
Is it true that communion, when given, typically comes before the sermon?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #858 on: March 28, 2015, 12:04:20 AM »

An ex-Evangelical friend is trying to explain some Evangelical lingo to me and I wanted to ask Bushie for corroboration on some of it.

Is it true that the word 'worship' refers specifically to parts of a service that include singing and doesn't include communion or the sermon or whatever else?
Is it true that the word 'liturgy' is frowned upon even though the service seems to have a set order? If so, do you know why?

1) Worship refers to any act that we do as Christians.  it can include singing, preaching, praying, even secular work and play can be worship.  As long as we do it for the glory of God, then it can be considered worship.
2) The word "liturgy" is not frowned upon at all.  Scripture is an integral part of any worship service.  Any good church will read some Scripture during the course of the service, not just at the message, even if it's just to introduce the next song or hymn.
3) I've always taken communion immediately following the sermon and invitation.  The reason for this is the sermon is usually tied in with communion and gives time for soul-searching and close inspection of the soul before God.  It also gives an opportunity for those who are not eligible to receive communion (those who do not know Christ as their personal Savior and those with unconfessed sin) to receive Him and ask forgiveness to partake in the communion bread and grape juice.  (Baptists generally use grape juice instead of wine).

I'll answer more questions tomorrow afternoon.  I need to go to bed for now, but these are answers from within the Southern Baptist Convention.  I can't speak for other denominations, because I don't know their practices.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #859 on: March 28, 2015, 12:31:48 AM »

communion bread and grape juice.  (Baptists generally use grape juice instead of wine).

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #860 on: March 28, 2015, 01:04:37 AM »

communion bread and grape juice.  (Baptists generally use grape juice instead of wine).

Baptists are strongly opposed to the beneficial cardiac effects of moderate alcohol consumption. When you eat and drink, everything must be unhealthy. Everything.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #861 on: March 28, 2015, 02:03:11 AM »

What you're describing is more typical of non-denominational churches, not of evangelical denominations (i.e. the SBC, PCA, or LC-MS).

(Baptists generally use grape juice instead of wine).

Wine was good enough for Jesus Christ. Why isn't it good enough for you?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #862 on: March 28, 2015, 02:09:08 AM »

1) Worship refers to any act that we do as Christians.  it can include singing, preaching, praying, even secular work and play can be worship.  As long as we do it for the glory of God, then it can be considered worship.
2) The word "liturgy" is not frowned upon at all.  Scripture is an integral part of any worship service.  Any good church will read some Scripture during the course of the service, not just at the message, even if it's just to introduce the next song or hymn.
3) I've always taken communion immediately following the sermon and invitation.  The reason for this is the sermon is usually tied in with communion and gives time for soul-searching and close inspection of the soul before God.  It also gives an opportunity for those who are not eligible to receive communion (those who do not know Christ as their personal Savior and those with unconfessed sin) to receive Him and ask forgiveness to partake in the communion bread and grape juice.  (Baptists generally use grape juice instead of wine).

I'll answer more questions tomorrow afternoon.  I need to go to bed for now, but these are answers from within the Southern Baptist Convention.  I can't speak for other denominations, because I don't know their practices.

Thanks for the answers! I asked my friend and, as IndyTX seems to have just correctly guessed, she grew up in a nondenominational church, not a member of any of the big Evangelical denominations. That's probably why her experience of those words and concepts was so different from yours.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #863 on: March 28, 2015, 07:50:55 AM »

Ugh.  You people are the worst.  THE WORST! 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #864 on: March 28, 2015, 07:53:40 AM »

GLORY BE ONTO HIM!  SPREAD YOUR LOVE ALL OVER MY FACE, JESUS! 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #865 on: March 28, 2015, 07:58:49 AM »

What you're describing is more typical of non-denominational churches, not of evangelical denominations (i.e. the SBC, PCA, or LC-MS).

(Baptists generally use grape juice instead of wine).

Wine was good enough for Jesus Christ. Why isn't it good enough for you?

1. It may be more typical of ND churches, but it is also common of Southern Baptist Churches.  I've been in enough different SBC churches and have studied the Baptist Faith and Message 2000 doctrinal book, which is a guide for ministers to follow in the way they handle their congregation, to know.  Each individual church is autonomous in that it handles all of its own affairs including the hiring of their own clergy.  The local association, the state convention, and the national convention are just there to provide support in anyway they can like for supply preachers and financial and baptismal records safekeeping.  The BGCO, Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma also runs the Falls Creek Baptist Conference Center which hosts about 5,000 middle school and high school students and their sponsors and churches for about 8 weeks of that number each week for discipleship, evangelism, and a summer getaway.  It also hosts several other weekend retreats throughout the spring and fall.

2.  I don't know why my SBC convention decided to use grape juice, but it doesn't matter.  It's not an issue for me.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #866 on: March 28, 2015, 08:11:06 AM »

2.  I don't know why my SBC convention decided to use grape juice, but it doesn't matter.  It's not an issue for me.

But aren't y'all biblical literalists? It says take this wine and drink. No metaphor there.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #867 on: March 28, 2015, 08:17:24 AM »

But aren't y'all biblical literalists? It says take this wine and drink. No metaphor there.

Like I said, I don't know why.  Please don't ask me or even think of getting on to me for decisions that were made at the national level way before my time.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #868 on: March 28, 2015, 08:20:54 AM »

2.  I don't know why my SBC convention decided to use grape juice, but it doesn't matter.  It's not an issue for me.

Like I said, I don't know why.  Please don't ask me or even think of getting on to me for decisions that were made at the national level way before my time.

But see, you said you are in a personal relationship with Jesus not a religion. So shouldn't it be, literally, to hell with the SBC convention if what you read in study of the Bible is clearly different?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #869 on: March 28, 2015, 08:42:38 AM »

Like I said, I don't know why.  Please don't ask me or even think of getting on to me for decisions that were made at the national level way before my time.

Bushie, it doesn't bother you that church leadership (who are human) make all these rules and interpretations about being drunk/high/etc.?  I would be deeply disturbed by anyone seemingly trying to control my thought process.  Psychoactives can be bad but they also can be very mind-expanding. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #870 on: March 28, 2015, 08:58:13 AM »

I believe the Biblical literalist types generally believe the Hebrew/Greek/whatever word for wine in the Bible always means a non-alcoholic fruit beverage, which they claim was super common back then and obviously what Jesus would have been drinking.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #871 on: March 28, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »

Are non-Catholic masses just chaos? How do people know whats going on? Doesn't if feel a bit informal without a structured 'plan' for the service? (Never been to one, I'm a Catholic)
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #872 on: March 28, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »

Are non-Catholic masses just chaos? How do people know whats going on? Doesn't if feel a bit informal without a structured 'plan' for the service? (Never been to one, I'm a Catholic)

They are literally all chaos, CT, going by the strict definition of the word.  What I think you mean is spontaneity and "lack-of-pattern", and I've seen videos of these Protestants yelling and screaming and running around the building like institutionalized manic-depressives.  So yeah...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #873 on: March 28, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »

I believe the Biblical literalist types generally believe the Hebrew/Greek/whatever word for wine in the Bible always means a non-alcoholic fruit beverage, which they claim was super common back then and obviously what Jesus would have been drinking.

But then that's not biblical literalism... Jesus Christ SBC is a hypocritical sham.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #874 on: March 28, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »

Heretics
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies