Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted]. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:44:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted]. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update XXII: Cleaning Up the Meat at [redacted].  (Read 162628 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 11, 2015, 09:08:43 PM »

I have plans for the rest of the week and the weekend and I'm not going to break those.

And just what are these plans?

A lot of family time and meeting up with a couple of my missionary friends to China who are in the States for 6 months.

What do you do during "family time"?  Sit around and talk?  You could try standing and talking, you know.

That would be quite awkward and may make everyone else uncomfortable.

Just explain why you're doing it and ask them to be understanding and deal with it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »

As a family-oriented Italian-American who refers to a cousin's sister-in-law as an aunt, I can say with authority that this is ridiculous.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 10:52:04 PM »

Being happy all the time isn't really what the early Christians were persecuted for.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:01:38 PM »

He's been doing a daily multivitamin but apparently it hasn't been working well because he's been doing it on an empty stomach. (Bushie, am I reading that right?)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:29:15 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2015, 11:32:39 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

An ex-Evangelical friend is trying to explain some Evangelical lingo to me and I wanted to ask Bushie for corroboration on some of it.

Is it true that the word 'worship' refers specifically to parts of a service that include singing and doesn't include communion or the sermon or whatever else?
Is it true that the word 'liturgy' is frowned upon even though the service seems to have a set order? If so, do you know why?
Is it true that communion, when given, typically comes before the sermon?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 02:09:08 AM »

An ex-Evangelical friend is trying to explain some Evangelical lingo to me and I wanted to ask Bushie for corroboration on some of it.

Is it true that the word 'worship' refers specifically to parts of a service that include singing and doesn't include communion or the sermon or whatever else?
Is it true that the word 'liturgy' is frowned upon even though the service seems to have a set order? If so, do you know why?
Is it true that communion, when given, typically comes before the sermon?

1) Worship refers to any act that we do as Christians.  it can include singing, preaching, praying, even secular work and play can be worship.  As long as we do it for the glory of God, then it can be considered worship.
2) The word "liturgy" is not frowned upon at all.  Scripture is an integral part of any worship service.  Any good church will read some Scripture during the course of the service, not just at the message, even if it's just to introduce the next song or hymn.
3) I've always taken communion immediately following the sermon and invitation.  The reason for this is the sermon is usually tied in with communion and gives time for soul-searching and close inspection of the soul before God.  It also gives an opportunity for those who are not eligible to receive communion (those who do not know Christ as their personal Savior and those with unconfessed sin) to receive Him and ask forgiveness to partake in the communion bread and grape juice.  (Baptists generally use grape juice instead of wine).

I'll answer more questions tomorrow afternoon.  I need to go to bed for now, but these are answers from within the Southern Baptist Convention.  I can't speak for other denominations, because I don't know their practices.

Thanks for the answers! I asked my friend and, as IndyTX seems to have just correctly guessed, she grew up in a nondenominational church, not a member of any of the big Evangelical denominations. That's probably why her experience of those words and concepts was so different from yours.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies