Why are most Western Islamic converts women?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:34:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why are most Western Islamic converts women?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why are most Western Islamic converts women?  (Read 5250 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 01:07:22 PM »

I'll go out on a limb here and wager that I am the only person in this thread who actually has firsthand experience with this subject. The converts I know are in fact mostly women, none of whom converted for the purposes of marriage. If I were to guess at a reason, it would be that women tend to find themselves marginalized in society to a much greater extent than men, which might lead one to seek out religion. I think it's worthwhile in this case to examine social expectations placed on women, but I couldn't comment further on that, seeing as that I am not a woman.

I was hoping you'd chime in (and also looking for confirmation if those reports of the numbers are indeed correct.) Thanks.

In regards to Beet's comments:

1-Anyone who seriously thinks atheists are more gender-progressive needs to consider that Red Pillers are almost exclusively atheist and
2-In regards to Islam being sufficiently feminist, how many female imams exist? Are they allowed in any other than a handful of breakaway sects?
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »

I'll go out on a limb here and wager that I am the only person in this thread who actually has firsthand experience with this subject. The converts I know are in fact mostly women, none of whom converted for the purposes of marriage. If I were to guess at a reason, it would be that women tend to find themselves marginalized in society to a much greater extent than men, which might lead one to seek out religion.

From your personal experience, are female converts to Islam (or male for that matter) generally formerly non-religious, i.e. not converts from other religions?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 03:32:49 AM »

2-In regards to Islam being sufficiently feminist, how many female imams exist? Are they allowed in any other than a handful of breakaway sects?

To clear things up here, I don't think female imams are allowed to lead salah in masajid, but if there is no males around in the home the oldest female generally leads it.  Of course just because a religion is (more) feminist doesn't make it necessarily better - so I make it clear that I don't view that as accurate.  I, for the matter, don't self-identify as feminist.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 01:07:03 AM »

I'll go out on a limb here and wager that I am the only person in this thread who actually has firsthand experience with this subject. The converts I know are in fact mostly women, none of whom converted for the purposes of marriage. If I were to guess at a reason, it would be that women tend to find themselves marginalized in society to a much greater extent than men, which might lead one to seek out religion.

From your personal experience, are female converts to Islam (or male for that matter) generally formerly non-religious, i.e. not converts from other religions?

Yes. I don't know of anyone who seriously practiced another religion before converting, and I suspect that that is much rarer in general.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 02:57:58 PM »

Pretty easy:

They meet and marry Muslim men, who either directly or indirectly pressure them into converting to Islam.

Basically Stockholm syndrome.

This post is simply awful.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »

I'll go out on a limb here and wager that I am the only person in this thread who actually has firsthand experience with this subject. The converts I know are in fact mostly women, none of whom converted for the purposes of marriage.

Since, due to nature of my studies (Arabic and Islamic) I too happen to know some female coverts to Islam, I can say Xahar is correct. Although some of those I know did convert due to marriage plans, this is most certainly not a rule.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 02:19:22 AM »

If you ask a convert to ANY religion why they converting, they usually give you a vague BS answer like "[name of religious] is the only religion that believes in love and peace!"
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 02:20:42 AM »

With regards to beet's stupid points.

Someone showed quotes from the Quran that say it's okay to beat women.

beet responds "you're being essentialist"
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies