Why are most Western Islamic converts women? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:30:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why are most Western Islamic converts women? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are most Western Islamic converts women?  (Read 5284 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: March 12, 2015, 01:39:48 PM »

Where is the source for this fact?  If it's true, my guess would be that many of these "conversions" are pro-forma in the context of a marriage so people's parents are happy.   

For people who truly convert, it's a tough question.  The bigger question is why would anyone actually convert from one religion to another.  It's a very strange thing to do.  There's no good reason to have any particular religion and people become religious through their family and upbringing 99% of the time. 

So, I think it must be a combination of alienation from your upbringing and being a messed up person.  A lot of people convert religions in prison, right?  When someone is desperate or alienated, the exotic, oriental nature and self-denial of Islam could seem like a virtue.

As to the point of Islam's women problem, I could see your point.  Islam is very sexist and patriarchal, often treating women like objects and denigrating them in a variety of ways.  But, I think that actually appeals to some people.  The Muslim woman costume could seem like a defiant or rebellious thing to wear, because it makes you stand out in many places.  And, the denial of the self and the "prostration" before God that attracts people, that same feelings could transfer over to submission and prostration before men.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »

Pretty easy:

They meet and marry Muslim men, who either directly or indirectly pressure them into converting to Islam.

Basically Stockholm syndrome.
Wanting to have the same religion as your spouse is Stockholm Sydrome?

Marriage clearly the opposite of Stockholm Syndrome.  Instead of going from hating to loving someone because you've spent a lot of time with them, you go from loving to hating someone because you've spent a lot of time with them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies