Long Island in recent presidential elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:05:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Long Island in recent presidential elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Long Island in recent presidential elections  (Read 3848 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »

So many villages, hamlets and the like on Long Island.  Interested in knowing how it breaks down below the Town level.

What were the strongest Democrat and Republican areas?  For the Republicans, I assume it's the Five Towns (Orthodox Jewish) and wealthier suburbs like Garden City that don't have sizeable Jewish populations.  And for Democrats, the most heavily Black areas like Roosevelt and Uniondale and non-Orthodox Jewish suburbs.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »

So many villages, hamlets and the like on Long Island.  Interested in knowing how it breaks down below the Town level.

What were the strongest Democrat and Republican areas?  For the Republicans, I assume it's the Five Towns (Orthodox Jewish) and wealthier suburbs like Garden City that don't have sizeable Jewish populations.  And for Democrats, the most heavily Black areas like Roosevelt and Uniondale and non-Orthodox Jewish suburbs.
In New York state, cities are chartered by the state legislature.  The last to be chartered was in the 1940s.  New York counties (except the 5 New York City boroughs) are divided into towns, but cities are separate from towns.  Villages are separate from towns, and may cross town and county lines.   That is , villages are not subdivisions of towns.

Election results for non-village elections are unlikely to be reported by village.  So get more information you would have to look at precinct returns.  While precincts may or may not conform with village boundaries, they are small and be used get a general idea.

The Nassau and Suffolk county board of election websites are horrible.

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:15:47 PM »

I have a stack of four 500-page canvass books from Nassau for which I paid $100 total. Suffolk will at least put their canvasses on a CD for you, but will still charge you $25 apiece.

I'm working on some precinct maps of Long Island, by the way.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 03:54:47 PM »

The Five Towns used to be Dem strongholds, when I was in college, in a County with a clear Pub tilt back then. How times change. Smiley
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 05:06:30 PM »

I'm working on some precinct maps of Long Island, by the way.

Great!  Look forward to that.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »

Going back further in time, Nixon won Nassau County in 1960.  I recall reading that New York Irish were a bit less Democratic than they were in general and JFK only narrowly won the Irish vote in NYC.  So maybe the suburban Irish actually voted GOP?

How Catholic was Long Island in 1960? 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »

The Orthodox areas of the five Towns, especially Lawrence are heavily Republican.  Garden City is also very Republican, and most of middle class south-east Nassau County.

Heavily Dem areas Freeport, Roosevelt, Hempstead.  As well as many of the upper middle-class Jewish areas which have a large Asian population (southern portions of Great Neck, Roslyn, Jericho Plainview)

Great Neck is quite interesting, all of Great Neck and Kings Point use to be heavily Democratic.  The northern sections of Great Neck and Kings Point tend to be mostly Persian with a bit of an Orthodox population.  Southern half of Great Neck is more secular and also has a large Asian population.  After 9/11 northern Great Neck and Kings Point trended heavily Republican, southern half of Great Neck remained heavily Democratic.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:12:27 PM »

After Wilson had us join the UK in World War I, the Irish swing to the Republicans, and Republicans dominated local Long Island politics for the remainder of the century.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »

After Wilson had us join the UK in World War I, the Irish swing to the Republicans, and Republicans dominated local Long Island politics for the remainder of the century.

Is that why?  Wasn't Long Island more WASP than Irish Catholic pre-WWII? 
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:29:25 PM »

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 05:51:29 AM »

I'd be interested to know the voting patterns of Amityville, simply because of its fame Smiley
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »

I'd be interested to know the voting patterns of Amityville, simply because of its fame Smiley

Amityville is in the SW corner of Suffolk County.  The areas closest to the water are whiter and Republican leaning (light blue)  A bit further from the water is N. Amityville, which is majority black and heavily Democratic (dark red on the map)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 07:19:27 PM »

When did Italian Americans become the plurality on Long Island?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 06:18:44 AM »

I found this for Nassau - any idea where I can get a map of precincts?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_8O-dN2giY6S21UcmcyejBoeU0/edit
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 04:04:51 AM »

There are some maps at the end of the file, and electoral districts (which is the New York name for precincts) have the town coded into them.

I looked around on the the Nassau County Board of Elections website and didn't see anything, but they must have something like that. I'd ask if they have shapefiles.

Or get the VTD shapefile from the census bureau. It might or might not match the precincts in 2012.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 03:00:35 PM »

It's annoying because the towns are ridiculously big on Long Island.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=96655.0;wap2

I'm able to get the precincts for Kings Point and Lawrence from here. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »

Newsday has had a precinct breakdown on their website shortly after the Elections, but only think its there for a few weeks after. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 06:51:12 PM »

They still have governor up, is there any difference in voting patterns as compared to presidential elections?

http://data.newsday.com/long-island/data/politics/how-li-voted/
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies