ME-GOV 2018: Collins for Governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:38:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME-GOV 2018: Collins for Governor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ME-GOV 2018: Collins for Governor?  (Read 5748 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »

Interesting rumor out of Maine politics, as some Maine Democrats believe that Susan Collins will seek the Governor's office when Paul LePage's term is up in 2018.

Many of Collins' staffers have recently taken jobs in the legislature, and State Rep. Matt Moonen (D - Portland) has put forth a bill that would change the way Senate vacancies are filled possibly as a preparation for Collins appointing her own successor. Currently, if Collins ran for Governor and won, she could pick her replacement who would serve until facing the voters in 2020.

Collins has previously ran for Governor in 1994, losing to her now-fellow Senator Angus King.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:48:33 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »

Well, if it gets her out of the Senate...
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »

LePage would appoint a Republican in his last days so it wouldn't matter.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »

She should remain in the senate for life.
Panda Express

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »

Uh, there would be a special election against a Republican who isn't entrenched in a Dem-leaning state. So it does matter for senate Republicans
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »

Uh, there would be a special election against a Republican who isn't entrenched in a Dem-leaning state. So it does matter for senate Republicans

With the right views, anyone can win in that state. I realize now that she would do the appointment. I feel that Collins wouldn't appoint someone that isn't ideologically similar to herself, making the seat safe again. She may be indestructible, but her strategic side is keen
Panda Express

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »

With the right views, anyone can win in that state. I realize now that she would do the appointment. I feel that Collins wouldn't appoint someone that isn't ideologically similar to herself, making the seat safe again. She may be indestructible, but her strategic side is keen

It doesn't matter who Collins appoints, nobody would be "safe" at first (don't be dumb). Republicans such as myself are well aware of this and strategically speaking, there is a very high risk or losing the seat. If I were a Democrat I would be hoping Collins does take the plunge, allowing her senate seat to be ripe for the picking.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »

I would love Senator Bruce Poliquin. Count me in!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 06:44:42 PM »

Not Poliquin - he'd probably lose, and then we'd lose his House seat. Perhaps not because this is so far into the future, but I'd play it safe and let Collins go with her choice. I have faith in her in all matters Maine.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 06:52:50 PM »

Not Poliquin - he'd probably lose, and then we'd lose his House seat. Perhaps not because this is so far into the future, but I'd play it safe and let Collins go with her choice. I have faith in her in all matters Maine.

Poliquin's district is moving to the right - I feel like another Republican could win here.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 06:27:46 PM »

It doesn't matter who Collins appoints, nobody would be "safe" at first (don't be dumb). Republicans such as myself are well aware of this and strategically speaking, there is a very high risk or losing the seat. If I were a Democrat I would be hoping Collins does take the plunge, allowing her senate seat to be ripe for the picking.

Come on man, at least retain some credibility and avoid saying "Republicans like myself." Smiley

Collins would win any race statewide in Maine, including as a Presidential candidate, with ease.  Her successor, if of her ideology, would have a tougher battle than she'd have but might start off slightly favored.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 07:04:52 PM »

Likely Democratic senate gain? Count me in.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 07:52:29 PM »

Terrific news!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »

Sounds good to me.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »

Likely Democratic senate gain? Count me in.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »

I think you're all a bit too cocky ... King is left of center, but he's NOT a Democrat, and Maine has proved time and time again it's not a solidly Democratic state.  At the Presidential level, it has been lately, but we haven't sent a Democratic Senator to DC for quite a long time, and moderate Republicans can still be quite successful here (see Collins and Snowe).  Her successor is likely to be much closer to her ideology than he/she is to LePage's.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »

I think you're all a bit too cocky ... King is left of center, but he's NOT a Democrat, and Maine has proved time and time again it's not a solidly Democratic state.  At the Presidential level, it has been lately, but we haven't sent a Democratic Senator to DC for quite a long time, and moderate Republicans can still be quite successful here (see Collins and Snowe).  Her successor is likely to be much closer to her ideology than he/she is to LePage's.

Even if it was a toss up, it would still be far better than the safe R it is/would be with Collins...
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 11:29:16 PM »

Even if it was a toss up, it would still be far better than the safe R it is/would be with Collins...

Very true, I'm not saying it wouldn't be very good news for Democrats.  Just saying that it would by no means be this easy pickup.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 01:20:47 AM »

Very true, I'm not saying it wouldn't be very good news for Democrats.  Just saying that it would by no means be this easy pickup.

Exactly. If Maine could reelect right-wing LePage over relatively moderate and highly touted Democrat Michaud - it surely can elect more moderate and less polarizing Republican even in open race. After all - all other Republicans elected as governors in 2014 in more or less solid blue states were of rather socially moderate sort - Hogan, Rauner (i will not even speak about Baker, who, essentially, governs as moderate Democrat would...)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 10:50:43 AM »

This. I wish Snowe would run for governor as an independent.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 12:24:01 PM »

This. I wish Snowe would run for governor as a(n) independent Republican (because that's what she is).
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 02:15:48 PM »

This. I wish Snowe would run for governor as a(n) independent Republican (because that's what she is).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »

She left DC because of the partisanship and bickering attitudes. I think she could just as easily let go of party affiliation altogether. Then again, I could also see her running as a Republican. Either way you slice it, she'd have a cakewalk of an election.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies