ME-GOV 2018: Collins for Governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:25:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME-GOV 2018: Collins for Governor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ME-GOV 2018: Collins for Governor?  (Read 5751 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »

She left DC because of the partisanship and bickering attitudes. I think she could just as easily let go of party affiliation altogether. Then again, I could also see her running as a Republican. Either way you slice it, she'd have a cakewalk of an election.

Come on, you didn't actually buy what she said, do you? I think it was much more her husband's taking of government money for his for profit college.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »

Collins as a lifer?

I used to believe it, but in a Republican Caucus that's becoming more Southern and more conservative after every election cycle, things may be getting a bit uncomfortable for the last, true Yankee "Rockefeller Republican".

She'll end her career on a high-note and retire in 2020.  D+1
njwes
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 06:40:42 PM »

Speaking of Maine governors, has anyone come up with a good explanation of how LePage won so handily last November? The sense on this board if I remember correctly was that he was toast, but in the end it looks like he may well would have won a 1-on-1 vs Michaud.

Sorry to be off-topic.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »

Speaking of Maine governors, has anyone come up with a good explanation of how LePage won so handily last November? The sense on this board if I remember correctly was that he was toast, but in the end it looks like he may well would have won a 1-on-1 vs Michaud.

Sorry to be off-topic.

LePage made a strong attempt to win over blue collar workers, Michaud ran a bland "work across party lines" campaign, and it's no secret that Cutler screwed him on some voters (though Michaud would've still lost a 1-to-1).
njwes
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »

Sorry to be off-topic.

LePage made a strong attempt to win over blue collar workers, Michaud ran a bland "work across party lines" campaign, and it's no secret that Cutler screwed him on some voters (though Michaud would've still lost a 1-to-1).

Thank you. Kinda curious who those Cutler voters would've broken for were he never on the ballot. I guess a good number may not have voted anyway.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »

Unless she picks her replacement very carefully, RIP that seat for Republicans. Keep in mind that a special election would be held in 2020, a presidential year.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 09:49:50 PM »

Unless she picks her replacement very carefully, RIP that seat for Republicans. Keep in mind that a special election would be held in 2020, a presidential year.

I bet that guy who won the House seat would still be favored.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 09:50:05 PM »

A centrist compromiser can continue to win the seat indefinitely
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 10:10:59 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't underestimate Poliquin, if he's appointed. Well have to see how he holds up next year, but Maine in 2014 already had the highest turnout of any state. The bump Democrats get from Presidential turnout likely wouldn't be as pronounced here.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »

Yeah, I wouldn't underestimate Poliquin, if he's appointed. Well have to see how he holds up next year, but Maine in 2014 already had the highest turnout of any state. The bump Democrats get from Presidential turnout likely wouldn't be as pronounced here.

May be. But his rather strong social conservatism isn't a plus (but rather a minus) in Maine. Especially - statewide, with 1st district being much more socially liberal.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 04:35:57 AM »
« Edited: March 25, 2015, 04:38:39 AM by OC »

I really hopes she does this, Dems definately need at least an open seat in a state like ME to pick up, and hopefully, Dean Heller run for gov of NV, too.

Cain and Dina Titus can become new female senators if Heinkamp and McCaskill lose.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »

Sorry to be off-topic.
I'm sure LePage was helped somewhat by the nature of the turnout and the anti-Obama nature of the election.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 02:35:33 PM »

May be. But his rather strong social conservatism isn't a plus (but rather a minus) in Maine. Especially - statewide, with 1st district being much more socially liberal.

LePage is far more conservative than Poliquin and won very re-election very convincingly. I suspect Poliquin will surprise us and hold on.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 12:28:12 AM »

LePage is far more conservative than Poliquin and won very re-election very convincingly. I suspect Poliquin will surprise us and hold on.

Again - may be. But 2016 is unlikely to be next 2014.....
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 03:44:42 PM »

But the Democrats are actively recruiting known flop Emily Cain again.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2015, 03:54:56 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Cain is not a long-term solution for ME-2. She'd be the best candidate Democrats have for governor, which makes the DCCC's strategy even more confusing. If she wins, bet on it - she'll lose again in 2018.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »

Cain is not a long-term solution for ME-2. She'd be the best candidate Democrats have for governor, which makes the DCCC's strategy even more confusing. If she wins, bet on it - she'll lose again in 2018.

So another Guinta-Shea-Porter
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 08:10:54 PM »

So another Guinta-Shea-Porter

Except Poliquin is a much better candidate than Guinta since he seems to be genuinely committed to his re-invention.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies