NYPD caught editing Wiki pages of cop victims
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:50:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYPD caught editing Wiki pages of cop victims
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYPD caught editing Wiki pages of cop victims  (Read 928 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall/2015/03/8563947/edits-wikipedia-pages-bell-garner-diallo-traced-1-police-plaza

The NYPD's computer system has been caught editing Wikipedia pages relating to major incidents involving police, such as the Sean Bell, Amadou Diallo and Eric Garner altercations, as well as NYPD scandals, and prominent political and police leadership in the City.

Amazingly, Police Issues were not the only things the NYPD tried to whitewash on Wikipedia, with additional edits ranging from the History of Zimbabwe, to former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, to Singer Barry Manilow.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mcnQZaZCYSYYG0-_uU4i1Fczvj7gn_GkiPjxcdnneRU/preview?sle=true
The Directly above is a log of all edits made by the NYPD computer system.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »

disgusting.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 06:37:57 PM »

Obvious understatement is obvious understatement.

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »

People accessing the internet at work? Horrors!
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »

This is an increasingly common occurrence nowadays. The Russian government was caught editing the MH17 wiki page shortly after it's shoot down.

Still terrible, of course.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:48:03 PM »

Let the sanitization of police brutality begin!  Because we know that the NYPD is the target of a witch hunt.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 12:34:05 AM »

NYPD are Scum, Part XXV
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 01:48:01 AM »

In case I wasn't clear, these edits were the work of individual NYPD employees fooling around on their work computers, not an organized Department-wide propaganda program.

There were 85 NYPD IP addresses linked to Wikipedia edits. As the article notes, only a relatively small number of edits about police incidents were made. So realistically we're talking about how many cops making these re-writes? 2-3? Maybe half a dozen? We're almost surely at least within single digits.

That's out of a total force of 50,000, who are now apparently all "scum". Nothing like painting an entire community for the misdeeds of a view. Odd that the same posters who so assiduously argue that point in other contexts see no problem ignoring the precept when it comes to cops.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 03:07:06 AM »

In case I wasn't clear, these edits were the work of individual NYPD employees fooling around on their work computers, not an organized Department-wide propaganda program.

There were 85 NYPD IP addresses linked to Wikipedia edits. As the article notes, only a relatively small number of edits about police incidents were made. So realistically we're talking about how many cops making these re-writes? 2-3? Maybe half a dozen? We're almost surely at least within single digits.

That's out of a total force of 50,000, who are now apparently all "scum". Nothing like painting an entire community for the misdeeds of a view. Odd that the same posters who so assiduously argue that point in other contexts see no problem ignoring the precept when it comes to cops.
You're very generous to point out that it only takes a few people to make the 'correct' changes on wikipedia.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 03:09:00 AM »

If NYPD officers have time to edit Wikipedia while on the job, then clearly there is not enough real work for them and we should start the mass firings ASAP.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 03:16:51 AM »

To be fair, there are many more reasons of greater importance why I think NYPD are scum
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 02:20:21 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing; that it is probably the work of individual employees. For the "amazingly" in the OP to work, you have to just skip that and immediately think "massive conspiracy".
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing; that it is probably the work of individual employees. For the "amazingly" in the OP to work, you have to just skip that and immediately think "massive conspiracy".

The amazingly was intended as an expression of the scale of the topics edited, not the number of people doing the editing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 02:17:53 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2015, 02:21:48 PM by IDS Judicial Overlord PiT »

The amazingly was intended as an expression of the scale of the topics edited, not the number of people doing the editing.

It's amazing that, out of 50,000 people, one was interested in editing [insert random public figure]'s wiki page, and that this held for a variety of different public figures? You evidently have a different standard for amazement than I do.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 08:10:56 AM »

If NYPD officers have time to edit Wikipedia while on the job, then clearly there is not enough real work for them and we should start the mass firings ASAP.

And we should start with your neighborhood's patrol I assume? Reduce police coverage there to at/near zero, and I'm sure problems will disappear.

(Not that I'm defending the handful of NYPD wastrels blowing taxpayer time on the job like that).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies