Texas only has enough drugs for one more lethal injection available
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:54:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas only has enough drugs for one more lethal injection available
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Texas only has enough drugs for one more lethal injection available  (Read 3522 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/03/10/texas-is-about-to-run-out-of-lethal-injection-drugs

Splendid news!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »

So, they'll go back to the gas chamber/electric chair, They've shown they're willing to outright defy the Supreme Court before...
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »

Good. Executions should be by guillotine, not lethal injection.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 10:41:10 PM »

Here come the firing squads.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »

Indeed. Utah compassion spreads.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:46:54 PM »

Your words could very well prove prophetic.  If anything the efforts by anti-death penalty campaigners to cut off the supply of drugs needed for lethal injections are likely to backfire.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 12:27:24 AM »

Your words could very well prove prophetic.  If anything the efforts by anti-death penalty campaigners to cut off the supply of drugs needed for lethal injections are likely to backfire.

Hardly a backfire. Forcing states to rely on more gruesome measures of killing people makes them look bad, and shows the death penalty for what it truly is.

I think it's horrifying that places like Texas and Utah would rather shoot a man to death than give up on the urge to murder their prisoners
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 01:19:07 AM »

I would say that Utah conservatives want to keep the firing squad death penalty. I certainly don't want it.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 01:22:56 AM »

I would say that Utah conservatives want to keep the firing squad death penalty. I certainly don't want it.

I don't support capital punishment (I might make a few exceptions such as the Nuremberg trials) but if we're going to have the death penalty firing squad is the way to go in my opinion.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 05:52:02 AM »

Good. We can't stop these barbarians, but if we can be even justa a mild and temporary hindrance to their twisted thirst for blood, then so be it.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 06:09:18 AM »

Good. We can't stop these barbarians, but if we can be even justa a mild and temporary hindrance to their twisted thirst for blood, then so be it.

Given that you, implicitly, support the excesses of the French Revolution because they helped create 'a wonderful regeneration of French politics and society', I think the you are the last person to be labelling people as barbarians or bemoaning their 'twisted thirst for blood'.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 06:21:28 AM »

Given that you, implicitly, support the excesses of the French Revolution because they helped create 'a wonderful regeneration of French politics and society', I think the you are the last person to be labelling people as barbarians or bemoaning their 'twisted thirst for blood'.

Roll Eyes
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 08:18:14 AM »

It's hardly a backfire, that the lethal injection are replaced with a more humane but more brutal looking method of execution.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2015, 08:45:35 AM by Game Moderator Kalwejt »

Since Texas used electric chair before adopting the needle, I fear there's a possibility of going back to this, like Tennessee did (although the chair was already a secondary method in Tennessee, while injection is a sole method in Texas since 1977).

However, adopting the firing squad would probably be easier than going back to such a controversial method as electrocution (which guarantees more appeals and, possibly, a forced moratorium). Since Texas is determined to carry on with executions, I could see him taking the easiest path.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »

By the way, if Texas and other states are so determined to continue with the lethal injection, why wouldn't they amend their procedures and start simply giving prisoners a morphire overdose (for example) instead of insisting on acquiring more and more scarce drugs currently perscribed? That wouldn't pose such logistical problems and probably be less torturous than current procedure (seriously, every single time Americans tries to develop a "humane method of executions", it ends in spectacular failure; first with the electric chair and gas chamber, now injection).

I'm just wondering, since I'm obviously very pleased with death penalty states facing more and more obstacles in killing people Smiley
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »

All right, guys. We've only got enough left for one more, so let's make this one count. We need to be very careful in choosing who to kill because we're probably not going to be able to kill any more people for a while.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 11:47:20 AM »

Poor Texas.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 11:51:14 AM »

All right, guys. We've only got enough left for one more, so let's make this one count. We need to be very careful in choosing who to kill because we're probably not going to be able to kill any more people for a while.

Looks like the last guy The Onion asked about this agrees with you: http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-texas-down-to-last-lethal-injection-dose,38211/
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 12:18:44 PM »

Yeah, they'll attempt something heinous on states rights grounds like hanging, firing squad, or electric chair to make their point, but I am very glad that they are having this much difficulty obtaining these drugs.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »

Texas can always go back to the lynch mob if they get impatient.  In many ways it's a superior form of capital punishment as it is quick, leaving the person it is applied to little time to bewail their fate.  The only real problem with it is that is had a higher rate of false positives, which is what caused it to fall into disfavor before.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »

Looks like the last guy The Onion asked about this agrees with you: http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-texas-down-to-last-lethal-injection-dose,38211/

Not even the funniest Onion article on this situation
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »

why not use something like fentanyl?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 01:11:46 PM »

Those being executed in Texas just killed people, they didn't have the cardinal sin of being born into the wrong class.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »

Those being executed in Texas just killed people, they didn't have the cardinal sin of being born into the wrong class.

Didn't they though?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »

Didn't they though?

touche
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies