Prospective electoral vote allocation for the next decade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:29:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Prospective electoral vote allocation for the next decade
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prospective electoral vote allocation for the next decade  (Read 1710 times)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2015, 03:33:11 AM »
« edited: March 14, 2015, 07:20:11 AM by Landroo Lover »

I've calculated the likely outcome of the future EV distribution.

Eight states are likely to lose one elector: AL, IL, MI, MN, OH, PA, RI, WV
Six states are likely to gain one elector: CA, CO, FL, NC, VA
Texas will probably gain even three electors.

Bye-bye, redundant Representative from Rhode Island! Bye-bye WV-03! Grin
Poor Montanans! They will probably have to wait another decade to be fairly represented. Sad

Democratic states: +2-5=-3
Republican states: +3-2=+1
Swing states:         +3-1=+2
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 06:43:26 AM »

I'm pretty sure NC is set to gain one?
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:19:16 AM »

I'm pretty sure NC is set to gain one?

Oh, sorry! You're right.
I somehow mixed up this decade's EVs of MI and NC. Embarrassed
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 07:48:58 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2015, 08:06:44 AM by muon2 »

This was my projected apportionment when the last Census estimates came out in Dec. It looks like your allocation is mostly in agreement with mine. Smiley

Here's my annual projection from the new estimates. I used the July 2014 estimates and the April 2010 Census base to get an annual growth rate. This correctly accounts for the 3 and a quarter year period between the Census and the estimate. I then applied the annual growth rate to the 2010 reapportionment population to get the 2020 projection. This accounts for the extra overseas population used in reapportionment but not for redistricting. Ten years is a long stretch for a simple model like this, but here are the projected changes.

CA +1
CO +1
FL +1
IL -1
MI -1
MN -1
NY -1
NC +1
OH -1
PA -1
RI -1
TX +3
VA +1
WV -1

The only change since my projections last year is that CA is back to +1 and NY is back to -1 as they were after the 2012 estimate instead of even last year. They continue to be the most likely to change, and there is some shifting in the other bubble seats. The bubble seats in this projection are based on the last five awarded and the next five in line.
The last five awarded are CO-8, TX-39, VA-12, CA-54, and AL-7 (#435).
The next five in line are NY-27, OR-6, AZ-10, MT-2, MN-8.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »

Wait ... I did it all in vain??? 😨
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 08:09:25 AM »

Not necessarily. It's a good mathematical exercise, and you have one slight difference. I have AL getting seat number 435 and NY getting number 436. You have those states flipped compared to me, but both states will be on the bubble either way.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 08:27:53 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2015, 08:29:34 AM by Landroo Lover »

Not necessarily. It's a good mathematical exercise, and you have one slight difference. I have AL getting seat number 435 and NY getting number 436. You have those states flipped compared to me, but both states will be on the bubble either way.

Indeed. The divide between Alabama and New York really seems to be the pivotal line.

New York's remainder: 0.4936949502
Alabama's remainder:  0.4657998807

But I did it via mental math. Perhaps I miscalculated. Tongue
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »

Indeed. The divide between Alabama and New York really seems to be the pivotal line.

New York's remainder: 0.4936949502
Alabama's remainder:  0.4657998807

But I did it via mental math. Perhaps I miscalculated. Tongue

The seats aren't apportioned by remainders. The geometric mean (Huntington-Hill) is used instead, and that tends to help smaller states on the bubble.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »

I suspect CA-54 is quite tenuous at the moment, but its prospects have been improving over the years, no? (I suspect that the financial crisis played a role in California not gaining a seat in 2010.)

For the sake of comparison, how was 2010 looking at this point in 2005?

Also, for the sake of curiosity, based on those projections, where are each state's additional seats beyond 435 in the lineup? (Where is CA-55, ID-03, NM-04, etc?)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

I suspect CA-54 is quite tenuous at the moment, but its prospects have been improving over the years, no? (I suspect that the financial crisis played a role in California not gaining a seat in 2010.)

I think a comparison would be pointless, as Katrina threw off too much.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »

Also, for the sake of curiosity, based on those projections, where are each state's additional seats beyond 435 in the lineup? (Where is CA-55, ID-03, NM-04, etc?)

According to my list, which muon2 says is based on the wrong calculation, these are the follow-ups:

Alabama
 Oregon
 Arizona
 Minnesota
 West Virginia
 Montana
 Rhode Island
 Oklahoma
 Louisiana
 Delaware
 Idaho
 Ohio
 Maryland
 Utah
 Massachusetts
 South Dakota
 Iowa
 Florida
 North Dakota
 Missouri
 Alaska
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »

The seats aren't apportioned by remainders. The geometric mean (Huntington-Hill) is used instead, and that tends to help smaller states on the bubble.

I've never heard of it before. I did the calculations "by instinct".
And as we all know that Wyoming and Vermont are waaay too underrepresented in the Electoral College, a method that helps smaller states "on the bubble" is much-needed... Roll Eyes
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »

And as we all know that Wyoming and Vermont are waaay too underrepresented in the Electoral College, a method that helps smaller states "on the bubble" is much-needed... Roll Eyes

The method of remainders results in some well known paradoxes, such as where the number of seats is increased but an individual state's share goes down. Huntington-Hill avoids that paradox and minimizes the percentage differences between the populations of the districts.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 01:48:38 PM »

I really hope that map hold, as the balance doesn't seem as bad for Democratic States as the last 5 reapportionments were. It would be fantastic to see NY finally stop the bleeding. CO, VA, NC, WV and AL would also be great news.

The method of remainders results in some well known paradoxes, such as where the number of seats is increased but an individual state's share goes down. Huntington-Hill avoids that paradox and minimizes the percentage differences between the populations of the districts.

The best method is Webster's IMO (known as D'Hondt Method in Europe). Divisors of 0.5, 1.5, 2.5 etc.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »

Poor Montanans! They will probably have to wait another decade to be fairly represented. Sad

They still have as many Senators as California. I'm not too concerned...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 02:19:27 PM »

Why isn't Georgia getting another electoral vote when North Carolina and Virginia are likely to? 
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »

Don't feel too bad, that is how Congress did it as well.  The Alabama (and  related paradoxes was discovered by trial and error).

Another possible difference is how you estimated the 2020 population.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 06:13:37 PM »

Why isn't Georgia getting another electoral vote when North Carolina and Virginia are likely to? 
Georgia has one more representative than North Carolina, with only a small difference in population.  They got a favorable rounding in 2010.  The two states are growing at about the same rate.   There is a potential for North Carolina to go ahead of Georgia.  Georgia has all of its eggs in one basket.  At some point that might make it a less desirable place to live.

Virginia hasn't added a representative for a few decades.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 06:29:37 AM »

The funny thing is: Now that paradox re-emerges on Alabama, and it's all about 8 electoral votes again.
Coincidence or Illuminati? Tongue
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 06:35:19 AM »

Can anyone explain to me the changes in Minnesota, Rhode Island and Alabama*? They don't make any sense to me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 06:39:10 AM »

Can anyone explain to me the changes in Minnesota, Rhode Island and Alabama*? They don't make any sense to me.

Why wouldn't they make sense? All these States have seen below-average growth rates for at least 50 years.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 07:44:14 AM »

Why wouldn't they make sense? All these States have seen below-average growth rates for at least 50 years.

Yes, but why have they been growing so slowly?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 07:59:49 AM »

Yes, but why have they been growing so slowly?

Because they are located in regions people are moving away from. The Northeast, Midwest and inner South all have undergone  a significant emigration, to the advantages of the Sun Belt States.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies