"America's anti-liberal myth"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:22:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "America's anti-liberal myth"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "America's anti-liberal myth"  (Read 3492 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2015, 01:27:05 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/14/americas_anti_liberal_myth_why_dems_learned_the_wrong_lesson_from_1984/

Thought this was an interesting article and historical analysis about the role of centrist Wall Street Democrats and how they deliberately misrepresent history.
bobloblaw
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »

The left always think they are the majority being blocked my a small moneyed minority in some conspiracy.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »

The left always think they are the majority being blocked my a small moneyed minority in some conspiracy.

Read the article, there's more to it then just that and it's backed with data.
bobloblaw
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »

statistics and liars
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 08:36:06 PM »

statistics and liars

Like St. Ronald and his drug-runners?
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »

statistics and liars

Wow, excellent insight. Your input is greatly valued!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 01:16:35 AM »

The political green-lanternism in the comments is quite amusing.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 01:27:50 AM »

I personally think that 1972 was the real shift, with 1984 merely an echo.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 01:30:27 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 01:33:55 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

If only Gary Hart hadn't had his indiscretion and dropped out in 1988. A non third-way Democrat beating Bush would be awesome. No President Bush. No other President Bush. Probably no President Clinton. And Hart would have been a decent President.

Hart is not a fan of Hillary.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/with-liberals-pining-for-a-clinton-challenger-ambitious-democrats-get-in-position/2014/07/18/b2892f80-0e1b-11e4-b8e5-d0de80767fc2_story.html
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 01:34:02 AM »

If only Gary Hart hadn't had his indiscretion and dropped out in 1988. A non third-way Democrat beating Bush would be awesome. No President Bush. No other President Bush. Probably no President Clinton. And Hart would have been a decent President.

Hart was considered Third Way in 1984, though he was moving somewhat leftward in 1987.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 03:39:58 AM »

America ended its 10 year malaise in 1983.  News of the economy rebounding came in early 84 as the campaigns kicked up.  Reagan got credit for a change in national mood that was quite widespread. 

He captured the moment further with morning in america and nobody...gary hart or anyone...would've won against Reagan.

Oil from Europe saved Reagan's economy and his good acting did the rest.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »

Lolz. Salondotcom pseudo-history is always hilarious. "In reality, the Democrats would clearly win all teh electionz if they were just more liberal. Walter Mondale was really an icky rightwing conservative bluedog. Stagflation was a wonderful thing for teh peeplz and icky rightwing conservative Paul Volcker stopped this wonderful inflation. Clearly being more liberal is the answer because muh minimum wage ballot initiatives!"
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »

Lolz. Salondotcom pseudo-history is always hilarious. "In reality, the Democrats would clearly win all teh electionz if they were just more liberal. Walter Mondale was really an icky rightwing conservative bluedog. Stagflation was a wonderful thing for teh peeplz and icky rightwing conservative Paul Volcker stopped this wonderful inflation. Clearly being more liberal is the answer because muh minimum wage ballot initiatives!"

Wow.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 06:15:15 PM »

Wow.

Don't worry, I condemn the illegal drug-running of Ronaldus Magnus as well.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »

LOL taking credit for both of Clinton's victories.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »

It's always hilarious when people can't come to terms with how the left is dead and buried along with all the other relics of the 20th century.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 10:26:42 PM »

It's always hilarious when people can't come to terms with how the left is dead and buried along with all the other relics of the 20th century.

So you're saying that the right has won, now and forever? That there's no point in trying liberal campaigns?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 10:41:13 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 10:52:16 PM by The Mikado »

So you're saying that the right has won, now and forever? That there's no point in trying liberal campaigns?

No, I'm saying that the traditional ideas of the left are dead and buried. I'm not ruling out a new ideology rising up as a competitive challenge to the current intellectual hegemony of neoliberal economics (besides the nihilism of the vulgar right, which the last few years have proven is not a majority voice), but I have no idea what that new ideology will be.

EDIT: To clarify, deindustrialization from the 1970s to today has utterly eviscerated the ideological podium on which the old Left stood.

EDIT 2: If it makes more sense, mass unionization and politics based on the interests of industrial workers, miners, etc. coming back will happen about the same time as disco and bell bottoms.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 04:22:22 PM »

Someone needs to stand in the way of the moneyed minority when that minority would turn work into peonage, give everything valuable to rapacious profiteers for nearly nothing, make a moonscape of our environment, and initiate lucrative-but-unjust-and-murderous wars for profit.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »

Please liberals, take the advice and nominate Sanders or Warren. 

And say hello to President Walker.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 10:41:18 PM »

Please liberals, take the advice and nominate Sanders or Warren. 

And say hello to President Walker.

Right, the conservative Democrat always wins. Mark Pryor didn't just lose by 17 points. Got it.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 01:04:02 PM »

The basic situation is that the public actually like what *both* parties have to say.  As a whole, Americans are ideological Republicans and practical Democrats.  From that lens , 'big government hands of my medicare' actually starts to make sense
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 02:17:37 PM »

No, I'm saying that the traditional ideas of the left are dead and buried. I'm not ruling out a new ideology rising up as a competitive challenge to the current intellectual hegemony of neoliberal economics (besides the nihilism of the vulgar right, which the last few years have proven is not a majority voice), but I have no idea what that new ideology will be.

EDIT: To clarify, deindustrialization from the 1970s to today has utterly eviscerated the ideological podium on which the old Left stood.

EDIT 2: If it makes more sense, mass unionization and politics based on the interests of industrial workers, miners, etc. coming back will happen about the same time as disco and bell bottoms.
Disco coming back is probably more likely. At least we'd all be high on cocaine to even give a crap about our neo-liberal dystopia.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 04:41:02 PM »

I think the 20th century left died when Khruschev's Secret Speech where he admitted that Stalin really was a HP leaked to the Israelis. As recently as 1938, respectable people had been saying the Soviet Union was a progressive state that would never sign a pact with Hitler. Even Sputnik 18 months later couldn't make up for that.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 05:04:03 PM »

I think the 20th century left died when Khruschev's Secret Speech where he admitted that Stalin really was a HP leaked to the Israelis. As recently as 1938, respectable people had been saying the Soviet Union was a progressive state that would never sign a pact with Hitler. Even Sputnik 18 months later couldn't make up for that.

I don't agree, given the events of the 1960s.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies