GOP finally finds a group of illegal immigrants they don't want to deport...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:56:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP finally finds a group of illegal immigrants they don't want to deport...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GOP finally finds a group of illegal immigrants they don't want to deport...  (Read 3360 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »

Glad to see the Republicans are doing all they can to help and welcome the victims of tyranny, oppression and discrimination in darkest Germany.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »

No reason for a German couple to flee to the US to home school their children. It is perfectly legal in several EU countries to which they could have just migrated without all the fuss. Denmark is one of them and German is an official minority language here, so tests could be conducted in German.

There is something strange about this story. Looks like an excuse to circumvent US immigration rules.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 01:21:44 PM »

It says something when the law banning homeschooling was passed under Adolph Hitler.

The same could be said by opponents of Interstate Highways. I mean c'mon.

You know who else was a vegetarian? HITLER!

We're already playing that game?

Well we were only two posts in when Godwin's Law arrived. So honestly, I'm not surprised. Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »

No reason for a German couple to flee to the US to home school their children. It is perfectly legal in several EU countries to which they could have just migrated without all the fuss. Denmark is one of them and German is an official minority language here, so tests could be conducted in German.

There is something strange about this story. Looks like an excuse to circumvent US immigration rules.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that an American homeschooling organization just brought them over here so they could be used as a test case. Germany is the only EU country that bans home schooling as far as I know; they could have easily just legally immigrated within the EU.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 01:27:01 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 01:28:44 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

According to Wiki homeschooling is legal in the following EU-countries:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic (5-12 only), Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Portugal, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, UK, Ireland.

There are hard conditions in some, but plenty of others are lax. Also legal in 3/4 of Swiss cantons and Norway, which Germans are allowed to settle in freely.

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 01:30:44 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 01:45:31 PM by Pacific Speaker Türkisblau »

Glad to see the Republicans are doing all they can to help and welcome the victims of tyranny, oppression and discrimination in darkest Germany.

At least they're not brown, eh?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »

Homeschooling is dumb ... but so is banning it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »

Nothing like a bunch of Atlas spergs poking fun at homeschoolers for being creepy Wink.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 12:09:34 AM »

Homeschooling strikes me as a generally bad idea but the people who oppose it often seem weirdly pearl-clutchy about it considering that they tend to strenuously oppose pearl-clutching in other areas of life.

The problem is that home-schooling is often in practice nothing more than extension of complete parental control, even if entirely unintentional, which if you are an advocate of specific Rights of the Child, is uncomfortable. If the motivation is to essentially monitor and control a child's access to information, even if you have the best intention (say the child has serious educational or learning difficulties), that infringes upon children's rights. Children deserve to have an advocate for them, who isn't their legal parent or guardian. That has historically been provided by teachers, tutors (even home tutors) or through apprenticeships.

My understanding is that homeschooling generally can only really work well if tutors are involved, and I'd support a legal requirement to that effect.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 07:12:47 AM »

Homeschooling strikes me as a generally bad idea but the people who oppose it often seem weirdly pearl-clutchy about it considering that they tend to strenuously oppose pearl-clutching in other areas of life.

The problem is that home-schooling is often in practice nothing more than extension of complete parental control, even if entirely unintentional, which if you are an advocate of specific Rights of the Child, is uncomfortable. If the motivation is to essentially monitor and control a child's access to information, even if you have the best intention (say the child has serious educational or learning difficulties), that infringes upon children's rights. Children deserve to have an advocate for them, who isn't their legal parent or guardian. That has historically been provided by teachers, tutors (even home tutors) or through apprenticeships.

My understanding is that homeschooling generally can only really work well if tutors are involved, and I'd support a legal requirement to that effect.

That brings it more in line with 'one to one' education, which is no bad thing. My disabled brother in law is technically home schooled in the States but has tutors. I also have a number of friends who were home schooled simply to ensure they were not exposed to anything other than their parents religious belief system which is suffocating and an affront to children's rights. There is a law coming into effect in Scotland in which every child will be given a 'state advocate'; a health visitor, a teacher, a children's worker who will be a point of contact for families, but also monitor the child’s welfare and development in a hands off capacity. There is extreme opposition from religious and home schooling groups which makes appeals to the 'rights of the parent' which in effect is an appeal to parents having rights by diktat.

It is one of the saddest developments in the post-war west that we mistrust care givers and children advocates who are not immediate family. Extended families, friends and the community used to have an active social role in caring for children. Cutting out teachers is the next step for those who think parenting is an exclusive role.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies