How many counties will Hillary Clinton win in the 2016 Iowa Caucuses? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:28:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How many counties will Hillary Clinton win in the 2016 Iowa Caucuses? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See title
All 99

90-97

80-89

70-79

60-69

50-59

40-49

30-39

20-29

10-19

1-9

Zero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: How many counties will Hillary Clinton win in the 2016 Iowa Caucuses?  (Read 3756 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: March 17, 2015, 02:25:49 AM »

90-97. I could see Sanders snagging a few. It's a caucus after all.

I can't wait for the Clinton campaign to resort to attacking caucuses again.

Caucuses are sort of like poll taxes, literacy requirements, and voter ID laws. Their main function is to drastically decrease the electorate by erecting a high barrier (e.g., being able to stand around for several more hours than usual) to voting. They're also unusually susceptible to fraud, manipulation, and arbitrary cutoffs. Regardless the of whether Clinton or whomever your candidate is, is winning them, it's hard to see why anyone who supports democracy could like them.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:35:02 AM »

Caucuses are sort of like poll taxes, literacy requirements, and voter ID laws. Their main function is to drastically decrease the electorate by erecting a high barrier (e.g., being able to stand around for several more hours than usual) to voting. They're also unusually susceptible to fraud, manipulation, and arbitrary cutoffs. Regardless the of whether Clinton or whomever your candidate is, is winning them, it's hard to see why anyone who supports democracy could like them.

Except that turnout doesn't matter so much for partisan primaries (certainly not counting California's primaries there), and lower turnout means higher information voters.

Of course it matters. Higher turnout means a broader cross section of the population is represented.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 02:18:09 AM »

Except that turnout doesn't matter so much for partisan primaries (certainly not counting California's primaries there), and lower turnout means higher information voters.

Of course it matters. Higher turnout means a broader cross section of the population is represented.

We don't need voters who just vote for Clinton because of name recognition.

Recognizing someone's name and actually going to the polls to vote for that person are two different things.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »

We don't need voters who just vote for Clinton because of name recognition.

Recognizing someone's name and actually going to the polls to vote for that person are two different things.
There's absolutely no reason for the internals of a political party to be "democratic". A political party is there to nominate candidates for people to vote on. Insomuch as anyone has a fair chance to participate in the process, I don't see the problem.

Then why have caucuses and primaries at all? Why not just coronate Hillary in a smoke-filled room? I'd be alright with that if she runs. Smiley

Of course, some people might say that anyone doesn't have a fair chance to participate in the process, thanks to our first-past-the-post electoral system. They'd argue that the system is set up in such a way as to create a bias towards a two-party system, since third party candidates tend to act as spoilers. The result is that we usually end up with only two people with a realistic chance at winning, and those two people tend to be from the Republican and Democratic parties, respectively. Insomuch as a choice between two people cannot reflect the diversity of opinion in the U.S., those people would argue that it's important for them to have a say in determining who those people are to begin with, such that ideas that otherwise would not have a chance, have a chance at being represented.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies