Office of the Attorney General (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:18:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of the Attorney General (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Office of the Attorney General  (Read 3338 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: March 16, 2015, 11:50:30 AM »

As per tradition, this is the thread in which announcements and so on will be made. Members of the public are free (and indeed encouraged) to use it for direct public communication with the Justice Department.

More will appear here once the office is refurbished and placed into good working order.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:02:42 PM »

STATEMENT ON COUNTER-TERROR POLICY

As we have all learned from recent tragic events, the Republic currently faces an unprecedented threat from far-right domestic terrorism. Tackling this threat to our democracy and to our way of life is currently the number one priority of the Department of Justice.

While I cannot confirm any operational details or technicalities, I can confirm that I have personally authorised our various federal agencies to take the firmest possible action against these lunatic extremists.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »

Are you going to prosecute ZuWo for his political trails?

I'm not aware of my predecessor committing any illegal act during his time in office.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 12:14:48 PM »

I have decided to appoint a Deputy Attorney General in order to continue with the efficient running of the DoJ that is almost certainly the only positive legacy of the Lumine administration. Rather than tapping up someone via the old boys network, I have decided to open up the post to application. Reform and transparency are important things and this strikes me as a good opportunity to take a first step forward.

The Deputy AG is mostly responsible for maintaining the DoJ's responsibilities regarding the Wiki. This means that you will need to have Wiki access already or be sure that you will have it soon after your appointment. It is not the most glamorous job in the game, but is a good introduction to the corridors of power and would make an excellent career-starter for a new and active citizen.

I will also note here that as this is essentially a civil service post, your political views don't come into it. I will happily accept applicants from any of the Republic's political parties (as well as independents, of course).

Anyone interested in the job should contact me by PM.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »

Applications have closed and are being reviewed. A candidate for the post will be announced tomorrow.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »

Executive Order no. 1

I hereby nominate Simfan as Deputy Attorney General
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »

He applied for the post and was the most qualified applicant.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »

I've been having a read through some old legislation and I've just discovered something... unfortunate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »

Executive Order no. 2

The appointment of Simfan as Deputy Attorney General is hereby retracted as the post of Deputy Attorney General does not legally exist.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 07:06:42 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2015, 07:08:36 PM by Sibboleth »

What the hell, I hear you say. But alas it is so. The post of Deputy Attorney General was created by the CAE act of 2013. While scanning through the Act earlier today I noticed the unfortunate information mentioned above:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I am afraid that I can find no record of the Senate ever holding such a vote. I have talked to someone who was a Senator at the time and guess what: he is adamant that there was no such vote. It has (of course) voted to confirm several appointees to the office, but I don't believe that this holds water as CAE is very specific on this matter. This means, alas, that the office of Deputy Attorney General does not exist.

I have therefore decided to appoint Simfan to a voluntary advisory position that will be called... er... Undersecretary of Justice for Administration and Policy. It is not an office under the Constitution but something significantly less formal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »

Aide de camp?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:54 PM »

I think "Undersecretary of Justice for Administration and Policy" works just perfectly, actually.

And so it is. I've sent you some instructions in the post.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »

Executive Order no. 2

NEW PROSECUTION GUIDELINES

1. The Department of Justice will only pursue prosecutions when it is clear that an offence has been committed. Prosecutions are not to be launched over possible technical infringements of the law.

2. The Department of Justice will only pursue prosecutions if it believes that the evidence against the defendant in question is sufficiently strong so as to convince a jury that the defendant is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. The Department of Justice will not proceed with any prosecution that does not meet this high standard of proof.

3. Prosecutorial 'fishing' (the practice of charging a citizen with one offence and implying guilt at the trail stage of different offences) is hereby forbidden.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 12:58:14 PM »

The Department of Justice is currently undertaking a wide-ranging review of the Republic's extraordinarily ineffectual criminal justice laws with the object of replacing them with something non-horrible. The DoJ aims to have finalised draft legislation on the subject by the end of the week, after which we hope it will be introduced to the Senate for approval. I must stress that this review is largely technical in nature.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 03:03:07 PM »

Work on this has been somewhat slower than anticipated, but we're getting there. Please have patience.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 06:56:49 PM »

Well the post electoral funk is over, finally. And the great work is finished and currently being reviewed by the President: it will be presented to the Senate immanently.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 06:29:45 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 06:34:29 PM »

Anyway, I hope to have the above bill introduced by a willing Senator shortly. It is simple, it is logical, it protects the rights of the defendants (which barely exist under current law) and it eliminates several troublesome loopholes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 07:06:23 PM »

The present situation in the Pacific Region is a threat to both the stability of our Republic and on the democratic principles upon which it was founded. It is with this in mind that I have to regrettably announce that I have issued warrants for the immediate apprehension and arrest of Pacific Justice Ebowed and Senator-elect Türkisblau for treason.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 12:40:17 PM »

Formal charges have been filed against Ebowed and Türkisblau. Requests were made to this department to additionally charge several other citizens (namely Adam Griffin and Bacon King) but the Department of Justice takes the view that the evidence provided is sufficiently scanty in these cases that prosecution would not be in the public interest.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »

Formal charges have been filed against North Carolina Yankee. It is time that those who are responsible for destroying this great game of ours are held responsible for their criminal actions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »

The Department of Justice believes that Senator Yankee has committed many and various heinous crimes over the years and that the sum total of them is treasonous. However we also have very specific evidence for certain charges.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »

Formal charges have been filed against Classic Conservative.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 01:57:28 PM »

So, Yankee is charged with fake treason...

Well everything that happens here is 'fake' is this is a game. But as far as the game is concerned, the treason he is charged with is very real.

Why should we release the damning evidence that we have uncovered before the beginning of the trial?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies