Realistically, how does the GOP or Dem Party hope to secure young voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:01:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Realistically, how does the GOP or Dem Party hope to secure young voters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Realistically, how does the GOP or Dem Party hope to secure young voters?  (Read 3360 times)
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »

In present day, Paul and Warren both have the ideological hearts of their parties. If neither are the nominees, it's literally impossible for the establishment to secure young voters. Please explain for all my Hilary, Bush, Walker, and other Establishment supporters
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »

I question the premise. Many in the GOP are deeply skeptical of Paul and his views. Hillary is more beloved among Dems than Warren, even crushing her in MA where the name recognition argument is invalid.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »

The best way to motivate youth into voting since the 26th amendment has been an unpopular war or economic turmoil. Or both.
Panda Express

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:00:58 PM »

Young voters will always lean Dem.  They certainly won't be as enthused or active for Hillary as they were for Obama but they will be more enthused for Hillary than say, Kerry or Gore. Young women will probably find the narrative of the first female president to be very enticing.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:29:22 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 08:31:08 PM by pbrower2a »

Young voters will always lean Dem.  They certainly won't be as enthused or active for Hillary as they were for Obama but they will be more enthused for Hillary than say, Kerry or Gore. Young women will probably find the narrative of the first female president to be very enticing.

The youngest voters DID NOT lean Democratic in 1980, 1984, or 1988. Accepting the Howe-Strauss division between Boomers (last born in 1960) and Generation X (first born in 1961), X voters have been more conservative than any other generation of American voters since the Lost born in the latter part of the 19th century (1883-1900).  Except for personal sexuality, they were much more conservative than America at large on economics, the environment, and labor-management relations. Few people saw the extent of the Reagan landslides of 1980 and 1984 as they did and that Dukakis could collapse as he did. Not until the Republican Party started talking about abortion bans did Generation X start looking at Democrats as a viable option.

Panda Express

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »

Young voters will always lean Dem.  They certainly won't be as enthused or active for Hillary as they were for Obama but they will be more enthused for Hillary than say, Kerry or Gore. Young women will probably find the narrative of the first female president to be very enticing.

The youngest voters DID NOT lean Democratic in 1980, 1984, or 1988. Accepting the Howe-Strauss division between Boomers (last born in 1960) and Generation X (first born in 1961), X voters have been more conservative than any other generation of American voters since the Lost born in the latter part of the 19th century (1883-1900).  Except for personal sexuality, they were much more conservative than America at large on economics, the environment, and labor-management relations. Few people saw the extent of the Reagan landslides of 1980 and 1984 as they did and that Dukakis could collapse as he did. Not until the Republican Party started talking about abortion bans did Generation X start looking at Democrats as a viable option.

ok, whatever, the point is nowadays younger voters in this day and age will be Dem-leaning, especially with a GOP who is against abortion and comes off against gay people, minorities etc. Young people don't give a flying f(inks) about a balanced budget or the tax rate or whatnot.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:10:40 PM »

Show young people what the GOP wants to do with student loans.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:48 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 09:26:47 PM by Reaganfan »

It's a very difficult task for either party, but especially Republicans. You really have no idea how hard being a young conservative is. I was out with a ton of co-workers having drinks last night. I ended up discussing politics (they brought it up) with two co-workers and one of their friends whom I don't work with. All three of them began talking about Jeb Bush, believe it or not. They then went on a Hillary hate-fest. It's great! If more young people like me and my co-workers are talking about Bush rather than Hillary, that's a good sign right?

The problem? They were 36, 36, and 41 years old, respectively. Even the young people I hang out with aren't young people.

Hell...I turn 27 this year. I'll be 28 on election day 2016. Do I even fit into that 18-25 crowd anymore?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »

No one secures young voters.  They ebb and flow every 15-30 years.  They probably reached peak Dem in 2008 and will drift more and more to the center over the next several elections.  Contrary to popular believe, the vast majority of people don't change their political views in any meaningful way after age 25.  So, to the extent that we have realignments, it's the rise of a Democratic or Republican leaning generation that drives them.  It would be a reasonable assumption for the country to gradually drift left until the Millennials are in their 50's, at which point the youth of that era will probably be voting heavily Republican.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 10:06:20 PM »

The 1990s recession was what really shifted Generation X toward Democrats.
hopper
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 10:24:35 PM »

ok, whatever, the point is nowadays younger voters in this day and age will be Dem-leaning, especially with a GOP who is against abortion and comes off against gay people, minorities etc. Young people don't give a flying f(inks) about a balanced budget or the tax rate or whatnot.
Abortion is a 50-50 issue. True the Same-Sex Marriage issue hurts the Republicans with younger voters. Minorities-Its a double edged sword. Yes the GOP offends some Asians and Hispanics with anti-immigration rhetoric but also the GOP Presidential Candidates didn't present a for the governing vision for the country therefore what reason did Asians and Hispanics to vote for the GOP candidate the last 2 Presidential Elections? 

I think young people should worry about a balanced budget since we are 18-19 trillion dollars in debt. 

Tax Rates-The Boomers were always kinda anti-tax. I don't think Gen X or Gen Y has a anti-tax streak.
hopper
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:40:43 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2015, 10:45:55 PM by hopper »

I actually think it was the drastic pop culture shift in 1992 as to why Clinton won but also people didn't want full blown Reaganomics anymore. I see clips of the 1992 Presidential Debates and Bush H.W. looked out of place like he was in another time period compared to the "Hip" Clinton. Music changed with Grunge and Gangsta Rap coming onto the music scene that year. 1992 was the 80's pop culture's last gap.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »

I think young people should worry about a balanced budget since we are 18-19 trillion dollars in debt. 

Tax Rates-The Boomers were always kinda anti-tax. I don't think Gen X or Gen Y has a anti-tax streak.

First off, the debt is a long term problem and there are a lot of much more pressing issues we need to fix before we can tackle it properly. Second, my generation and younger (I'm a millennial or what ever buzz word is in flavor) have seen that problem made worse by tax cut after tax cut and an unwillingness to undo those tax cuts despite them obviously not working. We're not stupid. We want results as opposed to promises that some how some ideology will magically fix this not really pressing problem.

So yes, you're right about younger folks not having as much of an anti-tax streak. But wrong about us thinking the debt will be the end all of our view on things.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »

I actually think it was the drastic pop culture shift in 1992 as to why Clinton won but also people didn't want full blown Reaganomics anymore. Music changed with Grunge and Gangsta Rap coming onto the music scene that year. 1992 was the 80's pop culture's last gap.

I don't think it was the shift itself so much as the feelings of cultural and political disillusion, and the desire for change the shift represented. And Reaganomics was indeed very much a swear word in 1992.
hopper
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 11:04:55 PM »

First off, the debt is a long term problem and there are a lot of much more pressing issues we need to fix before we can tackle it properly. Second, my generation and younger (I'm a millennial or what ever buzz word is in flavor) have seen that problem made worse by tax cut after tax cut and an unwillingness to undo those tax cuts despite them obviously not working. We're not stupid. We want results as opposed to promises that some how some ideology will magically fix this not really pressing problem.

So yes, you're right about younger folks not having as much of an anti-tax streak. But wrong about us thinking the debt will be the end all of our view on things.

More Pressing Issues-Well yeah like Immigration Reform and Tax Reform.

I agree with you on the tax cuts but the Dems wanted to keep "The Bush Tax Cuts" in place for people making 450,000 dollars and under a year.

I didn't say end all view on things but it should be a priority in the next 3-5 years to get the deficit somewhat under control and get a handle on it.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 11:49:29 PM »

I actually think it was the drastic pop culture shift in 1992 as to why Clinton won but also people didn't want full blown Reaganomics anymore. Music changed with Grunge and Gangsta Rap coming onto the music scene that year. 1992 was the 80's pop culture's last gap.

I don't think it was the shift itself so much as the feelings of cultural and political disillusion, and the desire for change the shift represented. And Reaganomics was indeed very much a swear word in 1992.

1992 did more damage to our country than people realize. I submit the idea that the election of Bill Clinton in 1992 paved the way for Oklahoma City, possibly Columbine and 9/11.
Panda Express

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 11:56:56 PM »

It doesn't matter what you think, the fact is they don't - and won't - care about that kind of stuff. In fact, I have a theory that nobody actually cares about the debt or a balanced budget, but younger voters don't really pretend to. The debt is going to go up no matter who takes office.

There is no issue that the GOP holds as of now that is advantageous to them with regards to younger voters. This is the age of Tinder and sexting and being against birth control isn't going to fly.

The good news for your side is that younger voters are becoming increasingly disengaged with the political process because of all these gadgets and gizomos and netflixes and vines and myspaces running around. So youth participation going even further downhill is good news for the GOP.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 11:59:08 PM »

It doesn't matter what you think, the fact is they don't - and won't - care about that kind of stuff. In fact, I have a theory that nobody actually cares about the debt or a balanced budget, but younger voters don't really pretend to. The debt is going to go up no matter who takes office.

There is no issue that the GOP holds as of now that is advantageous to them with regards to younger voters. This is the age of Tinder and sexting and being against birth control isn't going to fly.

The good news for your side is that younger voters are becoming increasingly disengaged with the political process because of all these gadgets and gizomos and netflixes and vines and myspaces running around. So youth participation going even further downhill is good news for the GOP.

Literally every republican in existence cares about the deficit, along with a number of conservative democrats and some independents. (Fact).
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 12:05:15 AM »

It seems that Democrats have already secured the 25-29 year old subgroup of the youth vote. If you look at many of the exit polls even from the disastrous 2014 elections, the Democratic candidate almost always won the 25-29 year olds while losing the 18-24 year olds. As someone in the 25-29 year old range (speaking from personal experience), it'll be very hard for this age to go Republican. We grew up during the Clinton years when the economy was strong and then came of age during the Bush era, which made many of us anti-Republican. Obama's [alleged] "coolness" appeal in 2008 helped solidify the current 25-29 year olds in the Democratic camp. 2012 certainly didn't help with Romney going from a Massachusetts moderate to a "severely conservative" candidate on every issue. I think my age group will support Hillary in 2016 by strong margins, inspired by the historical aspect of her campaign but also out of nostalgia for the good ole days. True, social issues hurt the GOP with younger voters, but there's also a sentiment that the current Republican Party is anti-science and the climate change denial doesn't do them any favors when many younger voters do believe that climate change is real. Abortion is always going to be a 50-50 issue. They should fold on marriage equality and stop all the draconian "religious freedom" bills that are passing the GOP-controlled state legislatures, because that's only going to make them come across as more anti-gay and homophobic than they already are with young voters, who overwhelmingly support LGBT rights.

Here are some of the 2014 exit polls that I could find for the youth vote (for the U.S. Senate):
ALASKA
18-24: Sullivan 51, Begich 43
25-29: Begich 50, Sullivan 39 (Begich's best age group)

ARKANSAS
18-24: Cotton 48, Pryor 47 (Cotton's worst/Pryor's best age group)
25-29: Cotton 53, Pryor 44

GEORGIA
18-24: Nunn 61, Perdue 37 (Nunn's best age group)
25-29: Nunn 55, Perdue 43

IOWA
18-24: Braley 51, Ernst 46
25-29: Braley 52, Ernst 45 (Braley's best age group)

KANSAS
18-24: Orman 54, Roberts 43
25-29: Orman 60, Roberts 36 (Orman's best age group)

KENTUCKY
18-24: McConnell 53, Grimes 42
25-29: Grimes 52, McConnell 43 (Grimes's best age group)

LOUISIANA (Pre-Runoff)
18-24: Landrieu 47, Cassidy 38, Maness 12
25-29: Landrieu 53, Cassidy 35, Maness 7 (Landrieu's best age group)

MICHIGAN
18-24: Peters 54, Land 40
25-29: Peters 59, Land 34 (Peters's best age group)

MINNESOTA
18-24: Not Polled
25-29: Franken 61, McFadden 36 (Franken's best age group)

NORTH CAROLINA
18-24: Hagan 47, Tillis 44
25-29: Hagan 59, Tillis 34 (Hagan's best age group)

NEW HAMPSHIRE
18-24: Shaheen 54, Brown 46
25-29: Shaheen 62, Brown 36 (Shaheen's best age group)

TEXAS
18-24: Not Polled
25-29: Cornyn 52, Alameel 35

VIRGINIA
18-24: Warner 54, Gillespie 41
25-29: Not Polled
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 12:10:10 AM »

I don't see youth participation going down unless the Dem Candidate is really a dud(think Dukakis, or Mondale.) With that said I don't know how Hillary will be as a candidate. I think she will be perform well or she will be bad. The youth vote(ages 18-29) in 2012 is the reason Obama is still president.

Being against Birth Control-The Dems tried "War on Women" in 2014 and it didn't work at all.

hopper
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 12:24:37 AM »

It seems that Democrats have already secured the 25-29 year old subgroup of the youth vote. If you look at many of the exit polls even from the disastrous 2014 elections, the Democratic candidate almost always won the 25-29 year olds while losing the 18-24 year olds. As someone in the 25-29 year old range (speaking from personal experience), it'll be very hard for this age to go Republican. We grew up during the Clinton years when the economy was strong and then came of age during the Bush era, which made many of us anti-Republican. Obama's [alleged] "coolness" appeal in 2008 helped solidify the current 25-29 year olds in the Democratic camp. 2012 certainly didn't help with Romney going from a Massachusetts moderate to a "severely conservative" candidate on every issue. I think my age group will support Hillary in 2016 by strong margins, inspired by the historical aspect of her campaign but also out of nostalgia for the good ole days. True, social issues hurt the GOP with younger voters, but there's also a sentiment that the current Republican Party is anti-science and the climate change denial doesn't do them any favors when many younger voters do believe that climate change is real. Abortion is always going to be a 50-50 issue. They should fold on marriage equality and stop all the draconian "religious freedom" bills that are passing the GOP-controlled state legislatures, because that's only going to make them come across as more anti-gay and homophobic than they already are with young voters, who overwhelmingly support LGBT rights.

True Romney's rightward shift hurt him badly with "Moderates".

Climate Change-The climate always changes. People thought there was going to be an ice-age during the Carter Years. It never happened.

I just think the "religious freedom bills" are mostly because the GOP has a White Evangelical Base in the Deep South so that's a way to keep the base happy by passing bills like that.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 12:27:10 AM »

1992 did more damage to our country than people realize. I submit the idea that the election of Bill Clinton in 1992 paved the way for Oklahoma City, possibly Columbine and 9/11.

I see all three events happening without Clinton.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 12:37:03 AM »

Perhaps Columbine, but no way with Oklahoma City and probably not 9/11.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 12:47:30 AM »

Perhaps Columbine, but no way with Oklahoma City and probably not 9/11.

9/11 was a by-product of Western troops in Saudi soil during the First Gulf War. Going by Ruby Ridge, I see Waco occurring the same as it did with Reno under an extended HW era, although the Brady Bill never happening might pacify McVeigh.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 12:49:27 AM »

Young voters are more libertarian-leaning in 2015 than liberal-leaning. I don't think they will vote Dem unless the GOP elects someone like Bush or Rubio. I could see the young vote being split between Walker and Hilary. At the same time, I honestly do not see optimism.

Why do people keep saying "libertarian-leaning?" I see no signs of this myself.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies