Does NH deserve its first-in-the-nation place in presidential primary season?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:13:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does NH deserve its first-in-the-nation place in presidential primary season?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Does NH deserve its first-in-the-nation place in presidential primary season?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Does NH deserve its first-in-the-nation place in presidential primary season?  (Read 2567 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 01:56:10 PM »

They don't really deserve it but then no one else does either.

This.

There should not be a nationwide primary, there should just be a few states doing it at a time.  Since no state deserves to be first all the time, the order in which states hold contests should be randomly selected through a lottery each cycle.  One state can be randomly selected for the first primary, then two for the second time, and three for the third round.  After that, the number should not exceed five.

A nationwide presidential primary would be problematic in a field of multiple candidates, and holding a few contests at a time can help eliminate candidates aren't fit for the long haul.  But no state should be entitled the special position of first all the time (and I say this as someone originally from Iowa).

You meant something else by my statement than I did. I didn't just mean no state deserves to have it be first all the time, I meant no state deserves to go first any time. If you have state primaries at different times, which I believe is valuable, then it's going to be an inherently arbitrary and unfair process, and some primary cycles are going to be more important than others.  It may make sense to focus on a few small states as traditional starters because of the creation of a tradition of retail politics like that has developed in NH as Shields discusses in the piece. If it were a different state then NH, then that state might recreate similar traditions - though longstanding political culture plays a role as well.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »

No, absolutely not (and nor should Iowa). I cannot stand that those two states can monopolize presidential primaries. To an extent, I can understand having small states in the beginning. If that is the case, there are a number of other states that can go first. What about NM and ME? Or NV and DE? If we're really going to think about it, why should be allowing certain swing states that much additional power on top of what they already have? I'd prefer we have safe states get a say. What about ID and CT or VT and MS?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies