Calvin Coolidge, champion of African Americans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:14:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Calvin Coolidge, champion of African Americans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Calvin Coolidge, champion of African Americans  (Read 2959 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »
« edited: March 16, 2015, 08:58:05 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Wiki

President Calvin Coolidge repeatedly called for laws to prohibit lynching, calling it a "hideous crime" of which African Americans were "by no means the sole sufferers", but consisted of the "majority of the victims".

However, most Congressional attempts to pass this legislation were filibustered by Southern Democrats

Just sayin'.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »

For a minute I was worried this said "Calvin Coolidge, champion of the poor."

Yes, Coolidge attempted to stop lynchings. The GOP had a vastly better civil rights record than the Democrats until about 1948. And yet, Republican Presidents after Hayes generally tolerated the horrid 1876 compromise and took few actions to oppose Jim Crow.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:34:49 PM »

Republicans have had a pretty consistent view on civil rights for all of their history ... I think many Democrats and liberals would just argue that their views (e.g., not supporting affirmative action) are simply now behind the times.  But a 1950s Republican talking about minority rights does not sound different - once adjusted for their decade - than a Republican today.  Most criticisms of Republican racial policy accuses it of being naive, not overtly racist.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:24:17 AM »

Yep, Democrats pre-FDR were mostly bad. This has no impact on modern American politics.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 06:00:18 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2015, 07:27:52 AM by Stone Cold Conservative »

Yes, Coolidge attempted to stop lynchings. The GOP had a vastly better civil rights record than the Democrats until about 1948. And yet, Republican Presidents after Hayes generally tolerated the horrid 1876 compromise and took few actions to oppose Jim Crow.

Tell that to members of "radical labor unions."

And before someone blurts out "but muh Teddy Roosevelt!" Please read some Debs and find out how much of a snake that man really was.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »

And before someone blurts out "but muh Teddy Roosevelt!" Please read some Debs and find out how much of a snake that man really was.

And immigrants...especially the Irish Catholic ones, Republicans were nothing but abominable towards them...especially the all-hallowed Teddy Roosevelt.

Can't forget that.

@Rocky: They've been consistently xenophobic perhaps, that's for sure.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »

And immigrants...especially the Irish Catholic ones, Republicans were nothing but abominable towards them...especially the all-hallowed Teddy Roosevelt.

Did you ever stop and think that's because they usually voted Democrat?

Notice how that changed when Catholics started switching to the Republicans post-Wilson.

So you assume these Irish Catholics voted Democrat just 'cuz without asking why they voted that way?

Also, Wilson pissed off a lot of that vote, which went straight back to Smith in 1928.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »

I was referring to racial issues, specifically. Neither party had a good record on civil liberties back then. Or today, for that matter.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:05 PM »

I was referring to racial issues, specifically. Neither party had a good record on civil liberties back then. Or today, for that matter.
I mean, that's relatively speaking of course. Compared to most nations, both parties are pretty socially liberal and tolerant, even the Republicans.

Without question, but in the context of the nation alone their pretty bad, and they seem to be gradually getting worse as time goes on.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies