Calvin Coolidge, champion of African Americans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:33:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Calvin Coolidge, champion of African Americans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Calvin Coolidge, champion of African Americans  (Read 2985 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »

For a minute I was worried this said "Calvin Coolidge, champion of the poor."

Yes, Coolidge attempted to stop lynchings. The GOP had a vastly better civil rights record than the Democrats until about 1948. And yet, Republican Presidents after Hayes generally tolerated the horrid 1876 compromise and took few actions to oppose Jim Crow.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:24:21 PM »

Yes, Coolidge attempted to stop lynchings. The GOP had a vastly better civil rights record than the Democrats until about 1948. And yet, Republican Presidents after Hayes generally tolerated the horrid 1876 compromise and took few actions to oppose Jim Crow.

Tell that to members of "radical labor unions."

And before someone blurts out "but muh Teddy Roosevelt!" Please read some Debs and find out how much of a snake that man really was.

I was referring to racial issues, specifically. Neither party had a good record on civil liberties back then. Or today, for that matter.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:53:05 PM »

Tell that to members of "radical labor unions."

And before someone blurts out "but muh Teddy Roosevelt!" Please read some Debs and find out how much of a snake that man really was.

I was referring to racial issues, specifically. Neither party had a good record on civil liberties back then. Or today, for that matter.
I mean, that's relatively speaking of course. Compared to most nations, both parties are pretty socially liberal and tolerant, even the Republicans.

Without question, but in the context of the nation alone their pretty bad, and they seem to be gradually getting worse as time goes on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies