Wisconsin Republicans vs. Minnesota Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:38:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Wisconsin Republicans vs. Minnesota Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who has been better in running their perspective states, the Republicans in WI or the Democrats in MN?
Minnesota Ds

Wisconsin Rs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Wisconsin Republicans vs. Minnesota Democrats  (Read 1679 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:53:03 AM »

Exactly what it says on the tin.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 03:15:22 AM »

Minnesota is currently doing better right now but that has always been the case. They have a friendlier tax system (though both are bad), and overall just a tradition of being a good state economically.

It's not fair to say that Wisconsin is a symbol of republicanism, either. Badger tax rates and regulatory bureaucracy are regularly included in the tax foundation's "ten worst states" list.

The only real policy difference between the two states is public sector unions. Both states are and will always be blue states with blue policies.

Even when the reds control the statehouses.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »

There's no question that Minnesota has done better under the Dayton Administration than Wisconsin has under Walker, who took office at the same time. Hands down to what is obviously my favorite state Democratic Party.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »

Minnesota is obviously the better-off and more fiscally sound state right now.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 07:29:54 PM »

Wisconsin outpaced Minnesota for a very long time. Basically from Minnesota's inception as a state until about 1990, Wisconsin beat us in most categories. Only since then has Minnesota caught up.  The number of jobs in Minnesota has caught up with Wisconsin.
Most of this has to do with the relative corporate power of the Twin Cities.  Outside of the Twin Cities, MN and WI are very similar atm.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »

Minnesota was better under Pawlenty than Wisconsin was under Doyle, so I think Minnesota being better off is more of a pattern. 

I mean, Milwaukee is like a mini-Detroit (not that bad, but not great either) whereas Minneapolis/St. Paul are much better off.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:50:42 PM »

MN wasnt better off under Pawlenty than WI under Doyle...we were quite similar.  Anemic job growth, anemic income growth, rising poverty...

We both faced the same issues...old infrastructure, aging population, reliance on nondiverse economies outside of the Twin Cities, which stagnated with new people flooding the labor market.

Incomes grew Among the rich and away from the city...but only among a few established players like large farm owners or local manufacturing.

Meanwhile government services were scaled back year after year.  Both MN and WI suffered in the Bush economy.

The main difference is that since 2008, Minnesota has grown much faster than Wisconsin. This is especially been since 2010 when Dayton and Walker were elected.

We were both in very similar trajectories during the 1990s and in the last decade. Only in this decade have we caught up.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 12:36:37 AM »

Minnesota is obviously a better run state than Wisconsin in terms of the condition of the economy and the balance of the budget.

In terms of which party officeholders I like better, MN democrats by a long shot. Dayton will always have my scorn due to his legalization of gay marriage and his approval of the vikings totally undeserved new stadium, but aside from that he's honestly been a pretty good governor. Unemployment is below the national average, we have a budget surplus, he cares about education, no taking away the rights of unions (I support just making unions optional to join, not trying to eliminate unions entirely like Walker desires), etc. I genuinely like Klobuchar, and while Franken is merely average, it's not like McFadden would have been any better.

WI Republicans are just bad, bad, bad. Johnson is a complete tea-partier who has never even tried to appear moderate, and Walker is, to put it simply, a corrupt walking disaster.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 12:37:50 AM »

Minnesota is obviously the better-off and more fiscally sound state right now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies