IDS 2: Stop PMing Me Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:35:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS 2: Stop PMing Me Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IDS 2: Stop PMing Me Act  (Read 2197 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:22:10 AM »

Cinyc is right
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:01:23 PM »

I don't think there is any viable way to squash PM campaigns or PMs in general. It's a message board. PMing will happen. We tried to do something like this when Marokai and I were in the White House, but we were never really successful.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:01:50 PM »

I mean, you can make a voluntary list if you want, but passing this bill would be foolish. As I said, it has been tried and repealed and it's difficult to limit speech like this. If someone asks you to stop PMing, listen to them, but punishing someone for sending a PM might not be legal.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »

Getting elected with zombies or using PM smear campaigns is bad but it's legal, like many bad things in the world. We simply can't legally outlaw those things.

Everyone has the right to PM who they'd like. All those who don't want them can do is ask not to get PM'd. We can't legally forbid someone to do talk to another person if they aren't harrassing or otherwise harming them.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:35:58 PM »

Getting elected with zombies or using PM smear campaigns is bad but it's legal, like many bad things in the world. We simply can't legally outlaw those things.

Everyone has the right to PM who they'd like. All those who don't want them can do is ask not to get PM'd. We can't legally forbid someone to do talk to another person if they aren't harrassing or otherwise harming them.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:36:52 PM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:37:27 PM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 03:20:50 PM »

Be that as it may, this bill isn't constitutional. As long as we have freedom of speech, PM campaigns, just as IRC, will continue. You can't limit people's freedom of speech unless there is a strong reason to do so, and just because it hurts someone's feelings isn't good enough.

If someone is harassing someone else via PM, that is an issue for Dave to take care of.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »

Where are we now? Not sure id support any form of this bill due to its constitutional issues, but I am curious nonetheless.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »

Okay. I'll still vote against it because it's useless legislation and already was tried and failed during the Maroduke administration, but at least the current bill is constitutional.

Who's job will it be to keep the list?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »

I guess if we want to have a needless list, that's fine, but without any true way to punish people from PMing, I just think it creates a useless system that hardly anyone will pay any attention to. This is more of like a "suggested do not do" list, but if you break it, then nothing happens.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 09:47:50 AM »

I still stand by my position that a Do Not PM list doesn't work and isn't a useful tool, and I base that belief off past experiences when we tried to do it at the federal level. It just didn't work. We couldn't keep it straight. People didn't read it. There was no punishment for violating it.

A voluntary list is acceptable and if we pass it, that's fine, but I still see no need for it. I view this as an already attempted method that failed, and bringing it back is just a waste of effort and resources that could be directed somewhere else.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »

Yep. Let's vote on it and move on. It's a noble idea but not really practical. Politics is politics, and PM campaigns will happen. They always have in Atlasia. You have the freedom to campaign as you wish.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies