Opinion of TNF
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:35:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of TNF
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Opinion of TNF  (Read 13210 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2015, 03:39:08 PM »

TNF needs to check his cis white male able-bodied privilege tbh and stop violating Atlas safe spaces
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »

TNF needs to check his cis white male able-bodied privilege tbh and stop violating Atlas safe spaces

And Snowstalker's descent into right-wingery continues...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2015, 04:01:33 PM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

Turkisblau has been here for a couple of month and has managed to be a more interesting and memorable poster than you've managed in 5 years tbh

You must have a very odd definition of interesting, then.

If by "odd", you mean sane, articulate, agreeable, principled, and good natured, then yeah he does have an "odd" definition, as do I and I wish more people had.

If only more of Atlas could be "odd", but alas it isn't meant to be.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »

Critiquing petty bourgeois liberal identity politics from a materialist class-oriented perspective is hardly "right-wing".
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 03:54:12 PM »

Turkisblau has been here for a couple of month and has managed to be a more interesting and memorable poster than you've managed in 5 years tbh

You must have a very odd definition of interesting, then.

Look, I'm probably on your side more than most folks in this current kerfuffle (complaining about "political correctness" is pretty much always a sign that one lacks perspective), but Turkisblau is still one of our best posters and there's no reason for this pointless, baseless potshot.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 04:44:56 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2015, 04:47:38 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Great guy, huge FF

I need to pull a stick out of my ass over him defending murder and the use of demeaning slurs? If that qualifies as having a stick in my ass, then I guess I'll keep that stick in there.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=205070.0
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 04:56:33 PM »

Critiquing petty bourgeois liberal identity politics from a materialist class-oriented perspective is hardly "right-wing".

Is there still a Sage garden or whatever for the kind of post where the author has no idea what any word he is using actually means?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2015, 04:57:56 PM »

Is there still a Sage garden or whatever for the kind of post where the author has no idea what any word he is using actually means?

Whenever I see a post that screams "Sage" I simply respond by posting a picture of sage leaves. I think it works well enough. Wink
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »

Well you know I find his way of looking at the world pretty alien, but I do admire his honesty, in the sense that his ideology, so to speak, is based around trying to advance the cause of himself and his people, something that I respect. He also puts his views across in a highly articulate manner, so, I guess, FF.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2015, 07:56:55 PM by Mechaman »

Yes, R2D2 is the unreasonable and self-righteous one here, not the guy writing a three paragraph screed full of profanity when he is told not to use the word "retard" as a slur or an insult. Roll Eyes

I hardly ever use the word retarded as an insult.  And even so there is a world of difference between that word and a word like "f****t" which has almost always been generally understood (at least in the US) to be a slur for homosexuals.  I do not endorse using "retard" as a personal insult or slur nor am I a huge activist in favor of using it to describe things.  What I am not a fan of is treating the usage of the word in any circumstance like it is somehow the equivalent of using words like "n", "kike", or "f****t".

"Retard" does not have it's origins as a demeaning and bad word to describe people with mental retardation.  It is a basic root word which as a verb means "to slow up or impede the progress of".  Before the word "retarded" was adopted to describe the mentally disadvantaged (or whatever word you want to use) people generally called people with those kinds of conditions "crazy", "stupid", or "moron".  Given that those three words have such a strong history and past with being used as slurs for the mentally disabled, why aren't you brave warriors out throwing a fit when someone calls something "stupid" or "crazy"?  And aren't you outraged when people refer to people they disagree with "morons"?

Or does that go against the enlightened liberal idea that insulting people is wrong, as long as it is not being done by you?

It is generally not a good idea to call people names or to insult them.  Nobody is debating that.  What is being debated here is the level of outrage and singleminded vindictiveness about the word itself (and not the motive (emphasis)) that doesn't really have at it's goal a meaningful wish to reform such behavior, but as a self-righteous crusade to satisfy small egos that ultimately ends up doing more damage to the causes they claim to fight for than help them.  For the record I do not hate Carl and I do not wish him ill, I just find his act really grating as of late and I felt like I had to tell him straight up.  His Captain Outrage persona is so blatant you'd have to be blind and deaf to miss it.  I am definitely not the only one who feels this way.

-Mechaman
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2015, 08:00:53 PM »

Yes, R2D2 is the unreasonable and self-righteous one here, not the guy writing a three paragraph screed full of profanity when he is told not to use the word "retard" as a slur or an insult. Roll Eyes

I hardly ever use the word retarded as an insult.  And even so there is a world of difference between that word and a word like "f****t" which has almost always been generally understood (at least in the US) to be a slur for homosexuals.  I do not endorse using "retard" as a personal insult or slur nor am I a huge activist in favor of using it to describe things.  What I am not a fan of is treating the usage of the word in any circumstance like it is somehow the equivalent of using words like "n", "kike", or "f****t".

"Retard" does not have it's origins as a demeaning and bad word to describe people with mental retardation.  It is a basic root word which as a verb means "to slow up or impede the progress of".  Before the word "retarded" was adopted to describe the mentally disadvantaged (or whatever word you want to use) people generally called people with those kinds of conditions "crazy", "stupid", or "moron".  Given that those three words have such a strong history and past with being used as slurs for the mentally disabled, why aren't you brave warriors out throwing a fit when someone calls something "stupid" or "crazy"?  And aren't you outraged when people refer to people they disagree with "morons"?

Or does that go against the enlightened liberal idea that insulting people is wrong, as long as it is not being done by you?

It is generally not a good idea to call people names or to insult them.  Nobody is debating that.  What is being debated here is the level of outrage and singleminded vindictiveness about the word itself (and not the motive (emphasis)) that doesn't really have at it's goal a meaningful wish to reform such behavior, but as a self-righteous crusade to satisfy small egos that ultimately ends up doing more damage to the causes they claim to fight for than help them.  For the record I do not hate Carl and I do not wish him ill, I just find his act really grating as of late and I felt like I had to tell him straight up.  His Captain Outrage persona is so blatant you'd have to be blind and deaf to miss it.  I am definitely not the only one who feels this way.

-Mechaman

Amen
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »

He reminds me kind of Wormyguy in some ways. (An instance of a more general pattern, that libertarians and communists - as in, communists in the 21st century west - remind me of each other).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »

Also, before leaving this thread I must comment on how hilarious, absolutely hilarious, it is that Lief and Carl are on the whole outrage about the word "retarded" train when they have both spent years bashing other posters for their intelligence.  I mean really guys.  Give us a freaking break.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2015, 08:39:52 PM »

Saying that the r-word has alternate meanings doesn't mean it's less bad than the other ones! The f-slur allegedly has different original meanings. Also, if words can evolve, then by that metric, the n-word should certainly be acceptable for anyone to use, no? Pretty obvious all-or-nothing thing from my view. I honestly don't care if anyone says any of those words, but they're all sort of faux pas and rightfully so - most especially the r-word.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »

Saying that the r-word has alternate meanings doesn't mean it's less bad than the other ones! The f-slur allegedly has different original meanings. Also, if words can evolve, then by that metric, the n-word should certainly be acceptable for anyone to use, no? Pretty obvious all-or-nothing thing from my view. I honestly don't care if anyone says any of those words, but they're all sort of faux pas and rightfully so - most especially the r-word.

Yes. And though the n-word is not quite there, I think it will get there eventually. The languages change. Where would we be without Shakespeare?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »

My point isn't necessarily about the rank and scale of bad words (I do admit that I see it likely that "retard" will likely become a socially taboo word in the future.  And I won't mourn it either (even if I am not used to it being taboo when I am older)), but how the word itself is used.  LIef and Carl can play moral superhero all they want to because they don't call anything "retarded" but their long history of demeaning and insulting posters left and right is far worse than any unintentional use of the word.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2015, 08:58:40 PM »

Er, I don't think I demean and insult people left and right. If one of the right wingers gleefully posts about taking healthcare from poor people I'll call them out on it of course, but that's completely different, I think. And I don't use slurs or other derogatory language to do so.

And I really haven't seen R2D2 doing that either, though of course I don't closely read all of his posts, so who knows.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »

Er, I don't think I demean and insult people left and right. If one of the right wingers gleefully posts about taking healthcare from poor people I'll call them out on it of course, but that's completely different, I think. And I don't use slurs or other derogatory language to do so.

And I really haven't seen R2D2 doing that either, though of course I don't closely read all of his posts, so who knows.

I have called posters stupid in the past, but without equating their lack of knowledge to a mental handicap.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2015, 09:10:22 AM »

I don't know how offensive the word is, but it does sound rather immature.

That said, the word itself may be unavoidably semantically drifting into an insult as so many other medical diagnosis (idiot, moron, maniac, psycho, imbecile, cretin, dolt etc). There's a reason the psychiatric world have quietly dropped 'mentally retarded' in favour of 'intellectually disabled'.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2015, 09:20:11 AM »

LOL, how did we get on a discussion of the word "retard"?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2015, 10:52:06 AM »

I think it's funny that 40 people think TNF is a "HP" but like three have actually said anything.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »

Probably a nice and well meaning guy IRL, who is knowledgable and articulate, but his support for genocide, regicide and massacres makes him a HP.

Precisely. Being ok with mass murder is a deal breaker.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »

Probably a nice and well meaning guy IRL, who is knowledgable and articulate, but his support for genocide, regicide and massacres makes him a HP.

Precisely. Being ok with mass murder is a deal breaker.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Foster
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »

Becoming increasingly difficult to vote FF on even though part of me really wishes I could.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »

He is smart and makes the forum more interesting, so overall FF, even if most of what he believes is retarded.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies