Opinion of TNF (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:51:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of TNF (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Opinion of TNF  (Read 13251 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:43:32 AM »
« edited: March 18, 2015, 07:49:09 AM by Mechaman »

I have strong disagreements with his ideology (that might come as a shock to many of you).  His pro-murder pro-destroy communism makes me, as a somewhat (emphasis) paciifist green anarchist, retch at times.  However at the end of he day we do agree fundamentally that the rich will one day get what they deserve, so take that as you will.

He is also, like has been noted before, one of the more intelligent members of the "left" on this board (many of whom pretend to understand the class war yet at the same time tend to view a pretty large segment of the poor as "subhuman" and even defend disgusting things like cultural elitism).  He has perhaps, possibly through his own background as well as his education and research, a much better understanding of the class war than the vast majority of us, including myself.

Total FF, despite his pro-murder tendencies.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 08:55:41 AM »

Can't say I'm too happy with him right now. Still an intelligent individual, and a FF on par, but some of his more recent posts have been rather...well, unfavourable.

Perhaps it would help if you pulled the stick out of your Ares, good sir.

Lol, autocorrect.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2015, 04:57:51 PM by Badger »

Can't say I'm too happy with him right now. Still an intelligent individual, and a FF on par, but some of his more recent posts have been rather...well, unfavourable.

Perhaps it would help if you pulled the stick out of your Ares, good sir.

Lol, autocorrect.

I need to pull a stick out of my ass over him defending murder and the use of demeaning slurs? If that qualifies as having a stick in my ass, then I guess I'll keep that stick in there.

Like I said his pro-murder schtick is a bit disturbing, but jesus dude do you really have that much time in your day to write up five page theses on why Iggy Whatthewasthatonetrannyrapper's name act is a crime of genocide against black people or some sh*t?

I guess that is what my (and many others) issues is with you and other tumblr activista types Carl.  Sure, some idiot calls somebody a n they should get the sh*t beaten out of them. I won't argue that.  However, should we also spend half of our time waiting to pounce on somebody for saying the word "retarded" the wrong way?  And don't give me any bull about how you are acting like this to try to correct people, it is obvious to anybody with an above room temperature IQ level that you are doing this only to feel better about yourself.  Your exercises in self-righteousness have done jack sh*t to help your causes, and you know it.

EDIT: I really don't give a sh*t about how much this impacts your view of me.  So go ahead an write up your MECHAMAN IS A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE MAN posts because I won't cry about it.  I am not on here to impress or suck anyone's cock, unlike some people.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2015, 07:56:55 PM by Mechaman »

Yes, R2D2 is the unreasonable and self-righteous one here, not the guy writing a three paragraph screed full of profanity when he is told not to use the word "retard" as a slur or an insult. Roll Eyes

I hardly ever use the word retarded as an insult.  And even so there is a world of difference between that word and a word like "f****t" which has almost always been generally understood (at least in the US) to be a slur for homosexuals.  I do not endorse using "retard" as a personal insult or slur nor am I a huge activist in favor of using it to describe things.  What I am not a fan of is treating the usage of the word in any circumstance like it is somehow the equivalent of using words like "n", "kike", or "f****t".

"Retard" does not have it's origins as a demeaning and bad word to describe people with mental retardation.  It is a basic root word which as a verb means "to slow up or impede the progress of".  Before the word "retarded" was adopted to describe the mentally disadvantaged (or whatever word you want to use) people generally called people with those kinds of conditions "crazy", "stupid", or "moron".  Given that those three words have such a strong history and past with being used as slurs for the mentally disabled, why aren't you brave warriors out throwing a fit when someone calls something "stupid" or "crazy"?  And aren't you outraged when people refer to people they disagree with "morons"?

Or does that go against the enlightened liberal idea that insulting people is wrong, as long as it is not being done by you?

It is generally not a good idea to call people names or to insult them.  Nobody is debating that.  What is being debated here is the level of outrage and singleminded vindictiveness about the word itself (and not the motive (emphasis)) that doesn't really have at it's goal a meaningful wish to reform such behavior, but as a self-righteous crusade to satisfy small egos that ultimately ends up doing more damage to the causes they claim to fight for than help them.  For the record I do not hate Carl and I do not wish him ill, I just find his act really grating as of late and I felt like I had to tell him straight up.  His Captain Outrage persona is so blatant you'd have to be blind and deaf to miss it.  I am definitely not the only one who feels this way.

-Mechaman
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »

Also, before leaving this thread I must comment on how hilarious, absolutely hilarious, it is that Lief and Carl are on the whole outrage about the word "retarded" train when they have both spent years bashing other posters for their intelligence.  I mean really guys.  Give us a freaking break.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »

Saying that the r-word has alternate meanings doesn't mean it's less bad than the other ones! The f-slur allegedly has different original meanings. Also, if words can evolve, then by that metric, the n-word should certainly be acceptable for anyone to use, no? Pretty obvious all-or-nothing thing from my view. I honestly don't care if anyone says any of those words, but they're all sort of faux pas and rightfully so - most especially the r-word.

My point isn't necessarily about the rank and scale of bad words (I do admit that I see it likely that "retard" will likely become a socially taboo word in the future.  And I won't mourn it either (even if I am not used to it being taboo when I am older)), but how the word itself is used.  LIef and Carl can play moral superhero all they want to because they don't call anything "retarded" but their long history of demeaning and insulting posters left and right is far worse than any unintentional use of the word.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies