Policing the Police Act of 2014 (Redraft passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:05:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Policing the Police Act of 2014 (Redraft passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18
Author Topic: Policing the Police Act of 2014 (Redraft passed)  (Read 18098 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »

I obviously support the Senator Polnut's amendment.
Now, the bill is finally readable and not out of reality.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2015, 11:57:21 AM »

Can we please keep this slippery slope fallacy nonsense out of the senate chamber? If you want to grandstand against an imaginary strawman bill that bans left handed police officers, feel free to introduce a bill doing that so you can vote against it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »

Yeah, I see no point whatsoever in stripping this to nothing and then giving the police money so hopefully maybe in the next couple of years they'll straighten out some of their problems.

^ Yes, I'd be willing to do that.

I mean it just makes sense, given the obscene amount of power that police have, to prohibit individuals affiliated with certain kinds of organizations from becoming cops. That's the issue as I understand it.

And where do we end when we allow the fairy queen with the stick to come flying around "you may become a cop, you may not, you may, you may not..." This would be a terribly dangerous precedence we are setting here - first come nazis, what comes next? Left-handers? Blue-eyed-people? People that say uhm before any second word? I have before opposed such a clause, and I will continue to do so. (Notwithstanding that I hold it unconstitutional but I don't want to get on a second page-long debate about that...)

Hard to believe you could construe it that way. This is about prohibiting avowed racists and vigilante types from becoming cops! You want people like that walking the beat? There's a galaxy-sized difference between that and weeding out people for being left-handed or whatever.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »

Can I introduce an amendment on this?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »

^ Yes, I'd be willing to do that.

I mean it just makes sense, given the obscene amount of power that police have, to prohibit individuals affiliated with certain kinds of organizations from becoming cops. That's the issue as I understand it.

And where do we end when we allow the fairy queen with the stick to come flying around "you may become a cop, you may not, you may, you may not..." This would be a terribly dangerous precedence we are setting here - first come nazis, what comes next? Left-handers? Blue-eyed-people? People that say uhm before any second word? I have before opposed such a clause, and I will continue to do so. (Notwithstanding that I hold it unconstitutional but I don't want to get on a second page-long debate about that...)

Hard to believe you could construe it that way. This is about prohibiting avowed racists and vigilante types from becoming cops! You want people like that walking the beat? There's a galaxy-sized difference between that and weeding out people for being left-handed or whatever.

Left-handed was obviously an exaggeration, but if we ban say Nazis from police service - the question who determines who falls into the "banned" groups shall here also not be ignored by the way - we set a precedent. Say in ten years, the ones in power in the nation have shifted, and you have a precedence that it's okay to ban certain groups from police service - what hinders the new government then from banning communists? What hinders some whacko-religious right people from banning gay people? What hinders xenophobic people from banning people with an immigration background from serving as policemen? All those groups view the examples mentioned the same way we view them. With a precedence in place, it is the easiest thing to go through with those measures.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

A vote is now open. Please, vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »

NAY
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »

Nay
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2015, 01:58:04 PM »

Nay
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2015, 02:46:09 PM »

Aye
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »

Of course; I'd look forward to seeing it.

AYE
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »

No.

Although, I look forward to Blair's amendment, assuming this passes.

Left-handed was obviously an exaggeration, but if we ban say Nazis from police service - the question who determines who falls into the "banned" groups shall here also not be ignored by the way - we set a precedent. Say in ten years, the ones in power in the nation have shifted, and you have a precedence that it's okay to ban certain groups from police service - what hinders the new government then from banning communists? What hinders some whacko-religious right people from banning gay people? What hinders xenophobic people from banning people with an immigration background from serving as policemen? All those groups view the examples mentioned the same way we view them. With a precedence in place, it is the easiest thing to go through with those measures.

Gay people, Communist Party members, and immigrants are not necessarily acting in a way that's threatening to other people. If you're in the KKK or are a vigilante, it's completely different. IMO.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2015, 05:05:25 PM »

AYE
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2015, 01:47:38 AM »

Aye
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2015, 04:14:46 AM »

Gay people, Communist Party members, and immigrants are not necessarily acting in a way that's threatening to other people. If you're in the KKK or are a vigilante, it's completely different. IMO.

Of course not in our point of view. But let's say in 2019 all Senators are KKK members. To them, gay people, communists, immigrants are threatening society. Do you see my point?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2015, 08:30:53 AM »

Aye

Sorry, but, I don't want to vote for a bill that will likely be struck down by the Supreme Court.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »

I would welcome Senator Blair's views on this, should this amendment pass.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2015, 10:03:48 AM »

Okay, I've had a chance to talk with polnut and Blair. I respect the fact that there are people who totally want to sink this, and will (i.e., a court case), and I think that polnut has made an honest effort to salvage it with this effort to focus it. The fact that most are at least open to what Blair and I have been saying about extremist groups is encouraging.

The badge cameras are minimally a big deal for me, and keep in mind, I see this whole thing through the filter of an American who reads every day through a variety of sources about deeply illegal and abusive police behavior.

So, I want to change my vote to Yes.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2015, 10:09:12 AM »

I'll wait until the amendment vote is over, to introduce my amendment
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2015, 03:16:14 PM »

Aye
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »

The result of the vote/
Aye (7): DemPGH, Talleyrand, Windjammer, Cranberry, Polnut, Cris, Hagrid
Nay (3): Lief, TNF, Blair

Polnut's amendment has been adopted.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2015, 06:30:44 AM »

I withdraw sponsorship from this bill, as it's not what I introduced in the first place and will need to no 'greater transparency' in law enforcement activity. Gutting the oversight and review councils is tantamount to gutting the entire bill, and I won't be party to this liberal reformist bullsh**t.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2015, 07:18:10 AM »

Does someone want to become the new sponsor?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »

Considering the sponsor has decided to end his sponsorship, I'm prepared to take it on.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2015, 08:25:30 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object on Polnut becoming the new sponsor.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies