Agricultural Policy Act of 2015 (Final vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:32:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Agricultural Policy Act of 2015 (Final vote)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Agricultural Policy Act of 2015 (Final vote)  (Read 3272 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »

I support it.
A good improvement.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 03:58:57 PM »

Senators, a vote is now open on Cranberry's amendment. Please, vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »

Aye.

This is a good improvement, as Cris pointed out.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

Aye
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 05:04:43 PM »

I still have considerable issues about this Bill. But for the sake of progress, which I believe this amendment is...

AYE
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 05:58:54 PM »

AYE
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 12:12:40 AM »

NAY
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 03:03:23 AM »

AYE
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 06:36:45 AM »

Nay
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 03:47:16 AM »

Nay

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 01:31:38 PM »

Aye
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »

The result of the vote:
Aye (5): Windjammer, Talleyrand, Cranberry, Cris, Polnut
Nay (3): Blair, TNF, Lief
Non voting (2): SWE, Hagrid (too late)

Cranberry's amendment has been adopted.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2015, 07:35:35 AM »

Just found a couple of logical and contination errors, sorry on my part, hence the following new amendment (just to bring things in order again, there should be no objection to that I would think?)

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »

Amendment is friendly.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »

Thank you, this should help speed up the process a lot.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »

Senators have 36 hours to object.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »

Cranberry's amendment has been adopted.

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »

This bill doesn't seem particularly objectionable at the moment, and sections 3 and 4 look very positive but I'd like to go back to something the Attorney General (who, as a non townie, knows a lot about farming) said. Is there any real demand from farmers for collective bargaining? As in, would we, at great expense, be setting up something that no one would use?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »

This bill doesn't seem particularly objectionable at the moment, and sections 3 and 4 look very positive but I'd like to go back to something the Attorney General (who, as a non townie, knows a lot about farming) said. Is there any real demand from farmers for collective bargaining? As in, would we, at great expense, be setting up something that no one would use?

I believe I am qualified to answer this as well, I myself life in a rural community, and my grandfather was a small farmer until recently.

There are farmers that certainly would prefer bargaining collectively with other farmers in their community/area/region, while others would rather keep alone; bigger, industrial famers like there are many in Atlasia, come to mind. This was my main objective in proposing to let the famers do the work themselves, in a way - provide them with assistance, yes, but let them themselves set up vehicles to eases their work and maximising their incomes if they so wish. I doubt that this would produce great costs, furthermore, monetary assistance would mostly affect rural areas with a weak economical structure, maybe in the end even providing economic stimulus for said regions through this programme (can you too hear the dollars clinging in our treasury? Dagobert Duck surely would approve). To sum up, no, I disagree with the Attorney General's and the President's notion that this would be an unnecessary expense. I believe, that with individualising and bringing towards the farmers the whole thing, we created a workable solution, and it's now up to the farmers if they want to accept the offers or keep on as they do now. Either shall be equal for us.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »

I don't think there's much doubt that marketing co-operatives (and related arrangements and organisations) are popular with some farmers. If the Senate wishes to give financial support to such ventures, then that is political matter and I won't comment either way.

I am a little concerned, however, that we still have a little gap between this bill and reality: farmers are self-employed by definition and 'giving' them the right to organise as employees (who of?) is a little strange. As going business concerns of their own, they already have the right to bargain however they see fit. I actually have worries that hostile courts in the future could potentially use Section Two of this bill as grounds for ruling against marketing co-operatives.

Section Three is a little odd; does this Republic not already have agricultural colleges? I should warn this assembly that the Man from The Ministry with a clipboard and a white coat is generally not terribly popular on farms (even when he brings money) and his advice would normally be ignored. I would recommend re-writing that section to make it look less like instructions on egg sucking.

Section Four is blatant and hilarious pork. Urban farming, Senators, is a scam.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »

I'm open to hearing why you believe urban farming is a scam, because I can point you to a number of people who don't. Community gardens offer huge benefits to the people who make use of them.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2015, 05:13:30 PM »

Oh, I'm all in favour of allotments and the like (although that would be horticulture rather than agriculture... and in addition it must be noted that most of the produce grown is for personal use. Allotments are great, but they do not increase the overall rate of agricultural productivity).* But if you want to spend federal money on encouraging such laudable things rather than on rent-seeking shakedown artists, I would suggest that literally writing a blank cheque is not the best of ideas.

*Although if I were a Senator I would have to ask whether productivity for the sake of productivity is necessarily what Atlasian agriculture - and the Atlasian countryside - needs at present...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2015, 11:15:36 PM »

Well, as you said, I don't think productivity needs to be our most important goal. Overall levels of food output may not significantly change, but bringing sites of production closer to consumers is never a bad thing. There's the emotional argument related to being out on the "land" and seeing where food comes from, but urban farming also has environmental benefits in that the food is local. I'm not sure on this because obviously the quality of food will be different, but buying directly from the source could have cost benefits too because there wouldn't be a middle man. I do know, though, that being the source most certainly would have financial benefits.

I don't know if making an industry out of urban agriculture would ever work, but I do think we could encourage and support small operations throughout our cities to great results. Especially if we start concerning ourselves with the problem of urban food deserts and that type of stuff in this discussion.

Just my two cents.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2015, 07:24:08 AM »

I can see your points, Al, regarding Section 2, and I am going to follow your judgement, simply because I am not familiar at all with all-too-legal/court business.

I don't see the Ministry-Man anywhere within what Section 3 aims. I see it as a compliation to agricultural colleges, through further information, organised by those individual farming marketing cooperatives.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2015, 04:58:55 AM »

Could those who are passionate about this, on both sides, get in contact with me?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies