Agricultural Policy Act of 2015 (Final vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:04:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Agricultural Policy Act of 2015 (Final vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Agricultural Policy Act of 2015 (Final vote)  (Read 3301 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: March 21, 2015, 12:34:48 PM »

If farmers want to start a cooperative on their own, let them. I don't see why we have to push them to it and create the framework ourselves.

I think the suggested changes would be good.

While we're talking about farming, I'm also a big fan of agritourism if it's done properly. It's a good way to connect the people working at sites of production with the people living at sites of consumption. It can also open markets for local food (and the diversification is great for farmers). The Pacific Stimulus I authored last summer included a farm tourism piece, but I think it could find a home here as well for something more permanent.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »

Food distributors and food processors are not employers, so I don't understand why collective bargaining is necessary. Individual farms can bargain with buyers however they see fit, and enter into a contract they like. If they don't like it, they can sell their products somewhere else. If they can't find something better, well... that's what the market has priced their products at. Organizing doesn't seem to me like it would achieve much either because then it would remove the power of individual farmers to be competitive and innovate (assuming each member would be required to charge the same amount for the same products).

I'm afraid I just don't see the point, other than "unions!!1111" This isn't what agriculture is in Atlasia, and I don't think it's what it should be, either.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:31:38 PM »

Aye
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »

I'm open to hearing why you believe urban farming is a scam, because I can point you to a number of people who don't. Community gardens offer huge benefits to the people who make use of them.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:15:36 PM »

Well, as you said, I don't think productivity needs to be our most important goal. Overall levels of food output may not significantly change, but bringing sites of production closer to consumers is never a bad thing. There's the emotional argument related to being out on the "land" and seeing where food comes from, but urban farming also has environmental benefits in that the food is local. I'm not sure on this because obviously the quality of food will be different, but buying directly from the source could have cost benefits too because there wouldn't be a middle man. I do know, though, that being the source most certainly would have financial benefits.

I don't know if making an industry out of urban agriculture would ever work, but I do think we could encourage and support small operations throughout our cities to great results. Especially if we start concerning ourselves with the problem of urban food deserts and that type of stuff in this discussion.

Just my two cents.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »

Well, I don't know where others are going with this bill, but I thought I'd put my stamp on it.

The big changes come in Section 4. I don't think funding research and development is worthwhile here. If agribusiness thinks going in the direction of vertical and indoor farming is feasible, corporations will be more than happy to fund the research themselves. That's why I've changed Section 4 to more broadly encompass "alternative farming." Since I believe most of these projects are more appropriately dealt with at the regional level, I've modeled the provisions of this section to leave things more open for the regions. Hopefully they will craft specific bills themselves and present them to the SoIA for approval, as happened last summer with homelessness bills when I was in that role (it actually worked very well and was a fun way to bring the regions and the federal government together).

As for the meat of what I'm proposing, I've shifted the focus on urban agriculture away from economics and more towards getting food to people who have barriers to access. I've also included a piece on agritourism. I've done a lot of research on agritourim in my academic life, and as long as agritourism does not completely displace agriculture itself (i.e., as long as it happens on working farms), it's a real boon for farmers as well as their larger rural communities. Visits to tourist farms can also encourage people, when they return home to the city, to buy local produce and think more about the food they eat. In all, there are a host of benefits. I hope the senate will strongly consider supporting each of these proposals.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:26:05 PM »

Yes, they do. As long as the SoIA is willing to be in contact with the regional executives about it. It was actually very successful for me when I was in your cabinet, because it got all the regions talking about the issue too (at the time, it was homelessness). I think one region did not submit a plan, but even if one doesn't, we can assume that the funds would eventually make their way to the regions via some sort of non-playable action.

I also chose to keep the plans with the regions because many of the initiatives require collaboration with municipalities. The regions are better able to carry that out.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »

I just don't know too much about it. Didn't really feel comfortable adding or removing anything from the text with regards to that.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 01:33:34 PM »

2. I'm not entirely convinced about the agricultural tourism thing  but I'm willing to go with it if that's what the senate want.

If you have Mendeley I can send you about 30 different articles, as well as my own paper... Tongue

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »

Aye

I am eager to see how these programs will improve the lives of our farmers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies