NE1: Care For Those In Need Act (Signed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:22:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Care For Those In Need Act (Signed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE1: Care For Those In Need Act (Signed)  (Read 1996 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2015, 06:48:23 PM »
« edited: March 27, 2015, 12:46:27 PM by Speaker Blair »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor is Winfield. He has 36 hours to advocate for this bill
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2015, 08:50:39 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Thank you Mr. Speaker

My passion for these causes is well known.

I have spent many hours, days, weeks, and months as a volunteer working for these causes, and others.

As a society and as individuals in society, if we have, we should be willing to share with those who have not.

As a government, we must give support to those who have fallen on hard times, giving them a hand up, should we say.

There is an old song, part of which goes

There but for fortune go you or go I

We never know when we may find ourselves, or someone we love or care about, in need.

Let us never forget about the less fortunate, about those who need our help, about those who find themselves in a situation they never wanted.

By helping now, we can be contributing to these individuals overcoming their hardships, and  becoming productive members of society in the future.

I urge this Assembly to support this bill, to help those in need.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »

I'm okay with this.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:58:33 AM »

Fully support this bill, in fact I'd be happy to see it being expanded
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:39:58 AM »

This has got my support.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »

A great initiative for those in need! Smiley
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »

Didn't have time to make my comments earlier today so I'd expand here.

I'd want to see specific care for LGBTQ teens, whilst we've done a lot to help LGBTQ citizens they still face challenges especially at that age.

In regards to women with 'young children' what's the age cut off?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »

In regards to women with 'young children' what's the age cut off?

I would think this would have to include all dependent children and the age of "adult" is 16.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2015, 01:51:16 PM by Lincoln Republican »

I'd want to see specific care for LGBTQ teens, whilst we've done a lot to help LGBTQ citizens they still face challenges especially at that age.

Community kitchens and homeless shelters are open to all, so I really do not see the need to have specific facilities for LGBTQ teens.

We could have counselling services for LGBTQ teens, but these counselling services would not be LGBTQ specific, but for all in need of these counselling services.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2015, 02:37:18 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Community kitchens and homeless shelters are open to all, so I really do not see the need to have specific facilities for LGBTQ teens.

We could have counselling services for LGBTQ teens, but these counselling services would not be LGBTQ specific, but for all in need of these counselling services.

Allow me to clarify.

I recognize that LGBTQ teens face many challenges, however, there are many teens, be they  straight, gay, bi, or whatever, who are facing challenges at this time in their lives.

My idea would be to have specific shelters geared toward homeless teens, teens who have left home due to whatever circumstances, abusive parent or parents, or have been kicked out of their homes.  

These facilities would have the resources and the personnel to deal specifically with this age group.

These facilities would be in a position to provide a safe place for these teens, where they could receive proper meals, have a warm and comfortable place to sleep, so they are not sleeping under a bridge or in a vacant, cold building somewhere.

These facilities would as well have qualified counsellors to help these teens navigate through these difficult times.

But my idea would be to have these facilities open to all teens, like I say, be they straight, gay, bi or whatever.  

These facilities would as well accept teens who are not homeless, but who just need a place to come to during the day, as long as they are not skipping school, a place to meet and talk with other teens, a place to talk to a counsellor perhaps, a place to participate in recreational activities with other teens.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 03:03:52 PM »

Allow me to clarify.

I recognize that LGBTQ teens face many challenges, however, there are many teens, be they  straight, gay, bi, or whatever, who are facing challenges at this time in their lives.

My idea would be to have specific shelters geared toward homeless teens, teens who have left home due to whatever circumstances, abusive parent or parents, or have been kicked out of their homes.  

These facilities would have the resources and the personnel to deal specifically with this age group.

These facilities would be in a position to provide a safe place for these teens, where they could receive proper meals, have a warm and comfortable place to sleep, so they are not sleeping under a bridge or in a vacant, cold building somewhere.

These facilities would as well have qualified counsellors to help these teens navigate through these difficult times.

But my idea would be to have these facilities open to all teens, like I say, be they straight, gay, bi or whatever.  

These facilities would as well accept teens who are not homeless, but who just need a place to come to during the day, as long as they are not skipping school, a place to meet and talk with other teens, a place to talk to a counsellor perhaps, a place to participate in recreational activities with other teens.

I agree with that, but the thing is is that LGBTQ teens need a safe environment to go to. It's something that's being talked about more, and it's basically to ensure that their physical and mental health isn't at risk. I can't see a one size fits all approach being beneficial
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 02:20:16 PM »

Allow me to clarify.

I agree with that, but the thing is is that LGBTQ teens need a safe environment to go to. It's something that's being talked about more, and it's basically to ensure that their physical and mental health isn't at risk. I can't see a one size fits all approach being beneficial

OK, but the LGBTQ issue can be dealt with in a separate bill.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »

Allow me to clarify.

If it's given a separate bill then I'd support a funding cut on this bill to support it
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 09:19:47 PM »

Allow me to clarify.

If it's given a separate bill then I'd support a funding cut on this bill to support it

No.  The funding can be provided separately.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »

Allow me to clarify.

No.  The funding can be provided separately.

It seems stupid to include funding for one protected minority in this bill (Abused Partners) without providing for another. I don't understand why we can't provide safe spaces to LGBTQ teenagers when suicide rates are much higher, and they're under much greater risk. 40% of homeless youths are LGBTQ, and we need to protect these people just as much as we need to protect abused partners

I'm not asking to make it a LGBTQ only facility, I'm simply asking for a provision in the bill to allow them separate protection-something you've put in for another minority
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 08:51:43 PM »

Mr. Blair, please look at this possible amended version for this bill and let me know what you think.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 03:44:15 AM »

Much appreciated
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »

Following is the amended version of this bill which replaces the original bill.

It is my own amendment, and it is friendly.

Mr. Blair, please look at this possible amended version for this bill and let me know what you think.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 04:13:14 PM »

Yeah it all looks good, the funding idea is good as it ensures that every program has equal provisions. I appreciate Winfield's efforts to get a bi-partisan bill, and I fully support it
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 01:25:41 PM »

Any thoughts on this from other members?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:01 PM »

I support the amended bill.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 03:13:37 PM »

Question.

As you know, funding is spread equally amongst all five initiatives.

In all seriousness, would the teen initiative and the LGBTQ teen initiative actually require as much funding as community kitchens, homeless shelters, and women's shelters?

It seems to me that community kitchens, homeless shelters and women's shelters would be more in demand and therefore would require a greater percentage of the designated budget.

I simply cannot see how the teen initiative and the LGBTQ initiative would require the same funding as the other three.

Comments please.   

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »

Well the budget was increased for those two provisions wasn't it?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »

After giving this matter some thought, I was considering the following allocation

Community kitchens               60,000,000
Homeless shelters                  60,000,000
Women's shelters                   60,000,000
Teen shelters                         35,000,000
LGBTQ shelters                      35,000,000

How does that sound?

Don't forget, this is to be an initial allocation.  After monitoring the programs, the budgets could be adjusted to meet the needs.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »

Yeah those numbers look good
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length