Carson flubs foreign policy discussion in Hugh Hewitt interview
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:42:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Carson flubs foreign policy discussion in Hugh Hewitt interview
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Carson flubs foreign policy discussion in Hugh Hewitt interview  (Read 2533 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »

http://dailycaller.com/2015/03/18/do-you-read-this-stuff-hugh-hewitt-questions-ben-carsons-foreign-policy-chops/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

E.g., when Carson said that Islam goes back to Jacob and Esau, Hewitt corrected him, but Carson stuck to his guns:

Later in the interview, Carson said that "We need to convince [the Baltic states] to get involved in NATO", apparently not realizing that they're already in NATO.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:03:13 PM »

He must need some lessons from our good old friend Henry Kissinger.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:04:01 PM »

Very well timed to counter the Donald Trump announcement! Carson refuses to give up in the Atlas Forum Ironic Support Primary.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:18:12 PM »

We were expecting anything else from Carson?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:20:12 PM »

Very well timed to counter the Donald Trump announcement! Carson refuses to give up in the Atlas Forum Ironic Support Primary.

It's going to be a dogfight vote at the 2015 Cain Train National Convention, for sure
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:59:56 PM »

I was hoping for an "Uz-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan" here.

I'm far from an expert on this type of thing, but I was taught a long time ago that the roots of Judaism and Islam could be traced back to Isaac and Ishmael, respectively.  No?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:06:44 PM »

I'm far from an expert on this type of thing, but I was taught a long time ago that the roots of Judaism and Islam could be traced back to Isaac and Ishmael, respectively.  No?

I would say that Muslims are piggybacking on Judaism, but that wouldn't be kosher for either group.

Rather, Islam is based on Christianity and Judaism, so it has that pedigree.  But, it was also invented in some real sense by Mohammed and his progeny, so both of these nutcases are right in a sense.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:13:27 PM »

Jews trace their tradition back to Abraham through Isaac and Muslims trace their tradition to Abraham through Ismael. So it is true in a symbolic sense, not a literal historical sense.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:14:26 PM »

Jews trace their tradition back to Abraham through Isaac and Muslims trace their tradition to Abraham through Ismael. So it is true in a symbolic sense, not a literal historical sense.

Well yes, that's what I meant too.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 11:10:26 PM »

I don't see how he actually corrected him. Muslims will tell you their faith goes back to Jacob...

Do you think Carson knows this? And even if he does, do you think he believes it? I highly doubt any non-Muslim does.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 11:30:22 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2015, 11:34:23 PM by TimTurner »

I don't see how he actually corrected him. Muslims will tell you their faith goes back to Jacob...

Do you think Carson knows this? And even if he does, do you think he believes it? I highly doubt any non-Muslim does.

Isn't it wonderful that some Republicans consider people like Carson "experts" on the issue?  I mean, he was absolutely, 100% accurate in his comments!  He's so much of an expert, he deserves a honorary degree in Islamic studies!

Well it is true that Islam goes back to Jacob - it just goes back farther than that.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 12:01:19 AM »

Did he talk about Uz beki beki stan stan?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 12:21:01 AM »

The true heir to the Cain Train. Never forget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAGGpK7bSWc
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 01:05:47 AM »

That's about as accurate as saying Africans trace back to Ham, and us Chinese were apparently dropped by spaceships.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 02:00:56 AM »

Literally, it seems to be a 'foreign policy' expert in the GOP you just have to be anti-Islamic
Blazinator
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »

Did he talk about Uz beki beki stan stan?

I do believe Herman Cain also dropped the "Z" if you listen closely.  "Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan" would be the proper pronunciation.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »

http://dailycaller.com/2015/03/18/do-you-read-this-stuff-hugh-hewitt-questions-ben-carsons-foreign-policy-chops/

E.g., when Carson said that Islam goes back to Jacob and Esau, Hewitt corrected him, but Carson stuck to his guns:

Later in the interview, Carson said that "We need to convince [the Baltic states] to get involved in NATO", apparently not realizing that they're already in NATO.

A little googling makes it seem that this likely comes from some interpretations of the Bible that put a prophetic slant on the story of Jacob and Esau. With Esau as the "father" of the Arab people, and the split between the two brothers being emblematic of the hostility between Arabs and Israel over Palestine. All of which glosses over the difference between Arab and Muslim, among other problems with it.

The same googling leads me to think that anyone who takes this interpretation seriously is likely to be what I would personally label as 'Christian nutter'. That seems to match with my impression of Ben Carson, so it makes sense that he would really believe what he's saying. He's not making a mistake, he's just firmly planted in the world of Christian mythology, instead of history.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »

Dude should have sticked to mending people's brains instead of politics.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 02:13:08 PM »

Dr. Carson is obviously an accomplished man in neurosurgery, but not in politics. If a Republican is elected president in 2016, I could see him as HHS secretary or Surgeon General. But not as the nominee of the party. I don't know if he will be considered for veep.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 05:31:05 AM »

Carson's latest foreign policy epiphany involves a suggestion that the West Bank should be purged of Palestinians, so they can relocate to Egypt and set up a state there:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-03-20/ben-carson-arm-ukraine-expand-nato-rethink-russia-s-position-on-un-security-council

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 05:36:28 AM »

Excuse me?  Carson thinks those pesky Palestinians should be removed from the West Bank?
Tell me again why this man is a supposed 'expert'.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 06:42:11 AM »

One can be a great doctor and a political imbecile.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 06:24:24 PM »

Carson's latest foreign policy epiphany involves a suggestion that the West Bank should be purged of Palestinians, so they can relocate to Egypt and set up a state there:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-03-20/ben-carson-arm-ukraine-expand-nato-rethink-russia-s-position-on-un-security-council

given the current hopeless state of affairs, I'd actually prefer a Kahanist forced removal of Gazans (w/monetary compensation) to an Arab state, if we could find one that would take the refugees.  it might not be that difficult: Jordan and Syria took in plenty of Iraqi refugees over the past decade+.  throw in a few billion USD and it'd be a dream.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 09:42:35 PM »

I didn't notice this at first, but it sounds like Carson is also worried about a Sunni-Shiite alliance forming to take down the United States:

http://www.hughhewitt.com/dr-ben-carson-on-foreign-policy-and-national-defense-issues/#more-26540

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 11:04:26 PM »

I didn't notice this at first, but it sounds like Carson is also worried about a Sunni-Shiite alliance forming to take down the United States:

http://www.hughhewitt.com/dr-ben-carson-on-foreign-policy-and-national-defense-issues/#more-26540

Given they kill each other over there religious issues with ease...he's lost it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies