Georgia Senate votes to demand revision of AP US History course
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:39:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia Senate votes to demand revision of AP US History course
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Georgia Senate votes to demand revision of AP US History course  (Read 1026 times)
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »
« edited: March 19, 2015, 12:38:52 AM by Former Moderate »

The scourge has spread to another state. http://atlantaprogressivenews.com/2015/03/14/state-senate-votes-to-ban-ap-u-s-history-claims-the-courses-are-biased/
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:44:45 PM »

What BS. Is there a way to change this on a local level?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »

The resident Blue Avatars will likely condemn this as "silly" and then continue to vote for and enable these people.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »

Georgia in some ways has become our most reactionary state.  I think it has a lot to do with Atlanta.  They have become the core of the new south.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »

The south is incredibly retarded. I'm sorry, but the only states I could fathom living in the south are TX, Virginia, and MAYBE Florida.

Agreed. I'd swap TX for NC personally, though.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »

The south is incredibly retarded. I'm sorry, but the only states I could fathom living in the south are TX, Virginia, and MAYBE Florida.

Called it.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 12:18:54 AM »

This is an idiotic move by representatives who are fearful of facts.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 12:25:54 AM »

Well this action more than any other impresses upon Georgia high schoolers the need to be embarrassed and ashamed of their country and to instead investigate our wrongdoings for themselves.

Thanks republicans...you're creating a generation of young Americans who hate their country!  And its your fault!

My reactionary father just can't understand why someone could feel that way about Murica!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 12:41:41 AM »

For those interested, the text of the resolution:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20152016/145962.pdf
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 06:12:17 AM »

Atlanta is modern and progressive. Rural Georgia and suburban Atlanta are not.

Authoritarians invariably see only one side of an issue -- their side. Such is so whether Commies, fascists, or supporters of Apartheid. The attack on AP history is part of an attack on education except as vocational preparation and propaganda for the Right. The Right has pushed "Back to the Basics", which has morphed into "Only the Basics" (suitable for churning out farm laborers, servants, checker-cashiers, wait staff, housekeepers, and mechanics) with right-wing indoctrination that tells people to accept severe inequality as the Will of God.

Truth be told, the whole South has some sordid history; outside the South, many admire those who resisted the ugliness of a heritage of economic inequality and institutional inequity. That's Martin Luther King, Jr. over Bull Conner, Medgar Evers over Byron de la Beckwith.

The neo-Confederate Southern Right has tried to sanitize the slave order and the KKK out of its political heritage in an effort to ensure that its agenda is only God, country, and prosperity. But it is a cruel God, a country that one loves for its hierarchy or must leave, and prosperity for only a few.

The Northern Right isn't so much different, except that it has no heritage of slavery to sanitize into oblivion.     
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 11:29:43 AM »

These Oklahoma and Georgia Republicans are forcing me to praise my own state's GOP, since at least they aren't trying to ban AP History. Gaah.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »

This country needs a Terror.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »

The Northern Right isn't so much different, except that it has no heritage of slavery to sanitize into oblivion.     
Not in the Midwest, but there absolutely was slavery in the Mid-Atlantic states, and to a lesser extent, in New England.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 08:47:29 PM »

Not in the Midwest, but there absolutely was slavery in the Mid-Atlantic states, and to a lesser extent, in New England.
Slavery in New England was extremely limited compared to the South, and the region's foremost support of abolitionism more than absolves them of any guilt they had, imo.

So a working class Southerner is guilty because his great great great grandfather's boss had slaves? Roll Eyes
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »

The resident Blue Avatars will likely condemn this as "silly" and then continue to vote for and enable these people.

Basically. I don't think Torie fully gets that there are people in his party who literally view his very existence as an abomination before the Lord.

Slavery in New England was extremely limited compared to the South, and the region's foremost support of abolitionism more than absolves them of any guilt they had, imo.

So a working class Southerner is guilty because his great great great grandfather's boss had slaves? Roll Eyes

Yes. His great-great-great-grandfather did his boss's bidding in the Civil War. And he does the bidding of the boss's great-great-great-grandson. Working class Southern whites are the people who hung men from trees and burned down churches and beat up civil rights activists.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 09:05:11 PM »

Why is all this craziness being politicized? WTF. I guess these people just don't like history that doesn't praise the US >90% of the time. Its actually remarkable how much US history is actually accomplishment and reform, how little it is injustice and regression. They can't just appreciate interpretations of the past where the US wasn't always doing the right thing.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 09:22:36 PM »

I'm confused how this works. Do you ban the class from being taken or do you ban the test? Because if you ban the class, than you have the same curriculum, take the AP prefix off, and make taking the test optional for the class. If you ban the test, you can still teach the same class. Also, does this mean that public universities in Georgia won't accept credits for getting a good score on APUSH? Banning the class doesn't seem to be the most well though out plan.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »

Why is all this craziness being politicized? WTF. I guess these people just don't like history that doesn't praise the US >90% of the time. Its actually remarkable how much US history is actually accomplishment and reform, how little it is injustice and regression. They can't just appreciate interpretations of the past where the US wasn't always doing the right thing.

It's not as case of wanting "US=Good" so much as "far right=Good."
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 01:13:04 AM »

Basically. I don't think Torie fully gets that there are people in his party who literally view his very existence as an abomination before the Lord.
I think Torie is quite aware of this fact. It's just that he views these folks as useful idiots that allow him to maintain his life of privilege and stick it to the poors and labor. As the cliché goes, you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 07:13:21 AM »

FAR.  RIGHT.  REPUBLICANS.  ARE.  FASCISTS.  PERIOD.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »

As a liberal who took APUSH, it's really not all that anti-American. Sure you learn about Native genocide, Jim Crow, & America's experiments with colonialism in the Pacific but you also get told that Ronald Reagan was a good president.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 04:45:35 PM »

Sure you learn about Native genocide, Jim Crow, & America's experiments with colonialism in the Pacific

We're more in danger is conservatives don't think those things (particularly Jim Crow) are bad. I also don't remember being taught subjectively about Pacific colonialism being good or bad - pretty up to interpretation. And Native genocide is mostly ignored (At least more than it should be). Assimilation is a topic that got debated and the only other time it is mentioned is when Andrew Jackson is referred to as King Andrew, which pathetically, many students are not able to put into historical context as necessarily a bad thing because many of his other accomplishments are told so positively. In fact, just about every land-grabbing Indian war is not even covered due to the small detail.

The complaints are literally nonsense. It's pathetic how these people are in positions of power.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »

Yes. His great-great-great-grandfather did his boss's bidding in the Civil War. And he does the bidding of the boss's great-great-great-grandson. Working class Southern whites are the people who hung men from trees and burned down churches and beat up civil rights activists.

By this logic a modern day German teenager is guilty for the Holocaust. I mean c'mon.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies