Bush 2000/Kerry 2004 counties by state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:49:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Bush 2000/Kerry 2004 counties by state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush 2000/Kerry 2004 counties by state  (Read 1285 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:36 AM »
« edited: March 20, 2015, 06:49:29 PM by tara gilesbie »

AK: N/A
AL: None
AZ: None
AR: None
CA: Alpine, Mono
CO: Clear Creak, Conejos, Eagle, Gunnison, La Plata, Routt, San Juan
CT: None
DE: None
FL: None
GA: Chatham
HI: None
ID: None
IL: None
IN: Marion, Monroe
IA: Fayette, Jasper, Jefferson, Poweshiek, Webster, Winneshiek
KS: None
KY: Bath, Carter, Magoffin, Menifee, Rowan, Wolfe
LA: None
ME: Lincoln, Penobscot, Waldo
MD: None
MA: None
MI: Alger
MN: Beltrami, Blue Earth, Chippewa, Cook, Kittson, Koochiching, Mahnomen, Nicollet, Norman
MS: Jasper
MO: None
MT: Missoula
NE: Thurston
NV: None
NH: Coos, Sullivan
NJ: None
NM: None
NY: None
NC: Guilford, Mecklenburg
ND: Benson, Steele
OH: Stark
OK: None
OR: None
PA: None
RI: None
SC: None
SD: Corson, Day, Roberts, Ziebach
TN: None
TX: Travis
UT: None
VT: Caledonia, Orange, Orleans
VA: Albemarie, Fairfax, Nelson, Prince Edward
WA: Whatcom
WV: None
WI: Price
WY: Teton
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:39:39 AM »

These two counties used to be super hardcore Republican. We're talking like 80%. But somehow John Kerry convinced these 2 low population counties with a lot of Mormons to become reliably Democratic.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:44:41 AM »

These two counties used to be super hardcore Republican. We're talking like 80%. But somehow John Kerry convinced these 2 low population counties with a lot of Mormons to become reliably Democratic.

It looks like Alpine was already trending Democratic (Bush Sr, Dole and W barely won, and Dukakis reached forty) but I can't explain Mono.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »

I thought they were skier/environmentalist enclaves?
It looks like Alpine was already trending Democratic (Bush Sr, Dole and W barely won, and Dukakis reached forty) but I can't explain Mono.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »

Wow, this is amazing. There were SO FEW of these counties? I guess that this was one of the elections where the lowest numbers of counties swung the other way compared to the previous election... Someone needs to check this.

Many were "spoiled" by Nader. I'm working on Gore 2000/Bush 2004 counties right now. The number is much higher, and drastically so in the South.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »

Wow, this is amazing. There were SO FEW of these counties? I guess that this was one of the elections where the lowest numbers of counties swung the other way compared to the previous election... Someone needs to check this.

Many were "spoiled" by Nader. I'm working on Gore 2000/Bush 2004 counties right now. The number is much higher, and drastically so in the South.

Yeah I know about the Nader factor, but this is still very intreresting. If Kerry had won the election, he probably would have become the first president to win the fewest counties ever, a "big city president" LOL.
Btw: There was actually one county in WI that went for Bush in 00 and Kerry in 04 (I looked that up because I was sure that there were some): Price County. Though I would have thought there were much more, especially in the Great Lake States.

Ah, okay. Just added that to my list. Thank you.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 03:44:30 PM »

These few Bush/Kerry counties were in large part where Nader did his damage to the Democrats. Places like Missoula or Lincoln/Waldo, ME, or the several counties in Minnesotta are clear examples of this. If you had a swing map of census areas in Alaska you would see a few of these I imagine given Nader's strength.  In many cases where Nader was strong was where Bush was not strong anyways, or there would be more of these counties. The Gore/Bush 04 counties are generally going to be where Nader wasn't strong in 2000, thus many of them in the South.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »

The county seat of Alpine pretty much became a rural San Francisco starting in the '90's.

Basically the demographics shifted greatly. The county was already becoming Democratic on a statewide level.

Alpine's pretty much like California's internal Vermont.

And Mono's pretty much like the internal New Hampshire.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies