Would you rather live in Norway or Tennessee? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:20:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather live in Norway or Tennessee? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Where would you rather live?
Norway

Tennessee

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Would you rather live in Norway or Tennessee?  (Read 3701 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: March 19, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »

Certainly Tennessee. Even leaving aside concerns of weather and culture (both of which would be strong points in Tennessee's favor), as someone who is not white and belongs to a minority religion I would feel much more comfortable in Tennessee than in Norway.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 09:32:52 PM »

Certainly Tennessee. Even leaving aside concerns of weather and culture (both of which would be strong points in Tennessee's favor), as someone who is not white and belongs to a minority religion I would feel much more comfortable in Tennessee than in Norway.

Why would Tennessee be better for someone who belongs to a minority religion?  TN is heavily conservative Christian, while Norwegians are not very religious.

Because American culture is significantly more tolerant of religious diversity than Scandinavian culture.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »

Coming from northern MN, which with the exception of rural eastern North Dakota, Is as close to Scandinavia as it gets in the US I can tell you many would struggle much more to get along in Norway than in Tennessee.

You would NEVER be fully accepted in Norway.  You are once and forever an outsider. 

Many codes of conduct in different cultures are established as unspoken rules.  Scandinavians, however, are masters of the unspoken rule and you just plowed haphazardly through ten of them which is why all of the sudden they seem standoffish and cold.  Insular cultures are always like this.  Japan is an extreme example.

In other words...a black lesbian communist will be accepted in TN before even a Minnesotan with Norwegian cousins would be accepted in Norway.

Keep that in mind. 

On the other hand a black lesbian communist would be much better received and experience less discrimination in Norway than in Tennessee.

Black people are oddities in Norway in a way that they are not in Tennessee.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 11:47:07 PM »

Why would Tennessee be better for someone who belongs to a minority religion?  TN is heavily conservative Christian, while Norwegians are not very religious.

Because American culture is significantly more tolerant of religious diversity than Scandinavian culture.

No it isn't. Especially not compared to mainstream Southern culture.

Where do you have all your prejudices about Scandinavian culture?

(and there isn't really one Scandinavian culture)

Oh, I don't have anything against Scandinavia in particular. I have a great deal against Europe.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies