Favorite Country M-Z (round 3) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:30:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite Country M-Z (round 3) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Favorite Country M-Z (round 3)
Mexico

Sweden

United States of America

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Favorite Country M-Z (round 3)  (Read 1295 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: March 19, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »

Sweden. The USA is a great country and it makes sense that it advanced thus far, but patriotism must have its limits.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:50:25 PM »

USA to spite the internet's (and social-liberal political culture's, in general) Sweden fixation.

Yes, we love the country that has the most extensive, universalistic and egalitarian welfare system because we are "social-liberals". Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:03:07 PM »

Seriously, that makes absolutely no sense. What's wrong with actually liking a country because it represents the practical enactment of many policies we find desirable and is, in all conceivable rankings, among the top 5 most successful countries in the world? As opposed to voting for USA because "GO USA YAY PATRIOTISM!!!11!1!1!1!1!!!"?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:11:45 PM »

USA to spite the internet's (and social-liberal political culture's, in general) Sweden fixation.

Yes, we love the country that has the most extensive, universalistic and egalitarian welfare system because we are "social-liberals". Roll Eyes

I highly doubt that is true today.

I know it's not what it used to be, but what other country would you cite as a contender to that title? Apart from maybe Norway, I can't see any.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:13:41 PM »

Partially to counterspite "muh Sweden fixation so I'll vote USA"

Seriously, that makes absolutely no sense. What's wrong with actually liking a country because it represents the practical enactment of many policies we find desirable and is, in all conceivable rankings, among the top 5 most successful countries in the world? As opposed to voting for USA because "GO USA YAY PATRIOTISM!!!11!1!1!1!1!!!"?

I s'pose I forgot a few words...figured the pieces could be put together (fixed that). Anyway, I'm tired of those voting USA just because "oooh social liberals will vote Sweden".

And I did have the word partially for a reason (another part being that an all NA battle would be boring) I also do genuinely like the country myself for what it is.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just concurring and venting my own frustration. I think we agree on this. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »

Well, I'm surprised. I knew Denmark had higher taxes, but following what I read, I tended to doubt that they were actually employed in a welfare regime that covered a greater share of citizens and produced a more egalitarian social stratification than the Swedish one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 07:04:36 AM »

If I honestly thought any country was better than the US then I would move there. No such country exists therefore I vote USA. Although I am also fond of my current temporary residence of South Korea.

We do not live in a free migration world, so that is just silly.

And even then, most people don't just abandon their friends, relatives, job, and habit just because they think their country isn't the best in the world. That's not just silly, that's absurd.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »

@Antonio: Just heard a radio interview with Professor in polsci Ove Kaj Petersen, who is a leading expert on Nordic welfare states, and according to him Denmark has both the largest welfare state, the highest tax rate and the highest redistribution effect in the world. He also says DK has upheld the Nordic model in its most comprehensive form and cites things like the continued importance of collective agreements on the labour market and strength of trade unions. He estimates Sweden has gone furthest in "a neo-liberal direction" of the Scandinavian countries (which means Swe/No/Dk in Danish). So the ranking is apparently 1. Denmark 2. Norway 3. Sweden. With the caveat that I do not know enough about Finland to rate it relative to Sweden, but I would assume the Swedish welfare state is still more comprehensive than the Finnish.

Well, that's interesting to know, thanks. I'd like to learn more about the relative performance of Scandinavian welfare states when I have more time (right now I'm really too busy). I assume the bulk of neoliberalization happened under Göran Persson? Bildt must have sparked off the trend, but he didn't stay long enough to have a major impact.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies