Plausibility of this scenario...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:43:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Plausibility of this scenario...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plausibility of this scenario...  (Read 1401 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »

I like lurking on the Alternate History forum, and I thought this idea is quite interesting...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is it likely/plausible?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:00:18 PM »

I like lurking on the Alternate History forum, and I thought this idea is quite interesting...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is it likely/plausible?

Not really.  Pre-Panama Canal those islands would have had no value to the US.  In 1868, IIRC, the then current dictator of the Domincan Republic offered to become a US territory and we declined.  The Danes had been trying offload the Danish Virgin Islands for some time and we declined that too until the period we were preparing to add actual fighting to our participation in the Allied war effort in WWI and we became worried that Germany might make use of them.

Conceivably if there were a genuine independence movement in the French Caribbean we might have aided that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:34:23 PM »

Ernest, while you're right that Congress shot down the proposals to acquire the Dominican Republic and then St. Thomas, President Grant was totally gung-ho about both about the potential for having forward naval bases in the Caribbean in the event of a war with the UK. The worry about the Dominican Republic in Congress was mostly racial because of the size of the territory and the inevitability it'd eventually be a state, a majority-"black" state (yes, Dominicans aren't generally considered black today). Guadeloupe and Martinique are small enough that statehood would never be a question (until the acquisition of the rest of what is now the USVI as one unit).
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 11:03:46 AM »

I feel that there would be a "Hawaii effect", as in there would be a flood of white immigrants from the mainland who would alter the demographics of the territory.

By 2010 Guadeloupe could be about 25% white with a sizable mixed-race demographic.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »

I feel that there would be a "Hawaii effect", as in there would be a flood of white immigrants from the mainland who would alter the demographics of the territory.

By 2010 Guadeloupe could be about 25% white with a sizable mixed-race demographic.

There hasn't been one for the US Virgin Islands.  I see no reason to think the development of Guadeloupe, Martinique, or St. Martin would be significantly different under US administration.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 06:16:57 PM »

There hasn't been one for the US Virgin Islands.  I see no reason to think the development of Guadeloupe, Martinique, or St. Martin would be significantly different under US administration.

But, to be fair, the U.S. Virgin Islands are in a rather unfortunate position as they're right next to the powerhouse Puerto Rico.

But you may be right.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies