Your Favourite Political Parties Not of Your Political Ideology/Orientation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:27:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your Favourite Political Parties Not of Your Political Ideology/Orientation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your Favourite Political Parties Not of Your Political Ideology/Orientation  (Read 1260 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 07:25:57 AM »

Supporting CDU and SYRIZA doesn't make a lot of sense.

Unless he's the political equivalent of a boxing promoter.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 07:28:37 AM »

I don't think I'll see anything as curious as a person who votes Syriza, but expresses admiration for New Democracy. Even ND voters don't 'admire' ND.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2015, 11:24:39 AM by traininthedistance »

Venstre in Norway is the obvious answer. (I assume D66 and Denmark's Social Liberals are too close to my actual ideology to count here.)

The ideological difference between these three parties is negligible. Venstre and Radikale Venstre (Social Liberals) are almost identical both in ideology and social composition of membership and electorate.

Do you consider Venstre to be to the left of the two other parties? Why?

I assume because Venstre ally with the conservative block and the social liberals ally with the red block, he is implying that Venstre is to the right of the SL party.

Precisely.  Even if their program and electorate are virtually identical, the bedfellows they choose are not and that makes a big difference.

kinda have some affection for the Nationals in New Zealand

Wha?!?!

Admittedly their current leader is as wet as a rainy day in Hokitika, but in general...

I was under the impression that they were decent on the environment and minority [read: Maori] issues in a way that is rare among conservative parties, especially Anglo conservative parties.  If I'm wrong I'd be happy to be set straight.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »

Would too!

Though you're definitely more familiar with Italian politics than I am. From what info on them I can get with my limited Italian skills, they seem like a party I agree with on substance but am sort of embarrassed for on style (kinda like Republicans). I admire their platform (degrowth, sustainable development, anti-corruption, Euroscepticism, etc.) but understand they are heavily criticized for Grillo's cult of personality and status as an un-elected leader, as well as members of the party being very aggressive and verbally violent, in addition to the dogmatic "all or nothing" overly moralistic stance M5S takes.

I recently saw this video, and it's one of the things I can find them admirable for (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KxPlg5avwA)

The last time I expressed support for M5S was back in late 2013, and got chewed out for it, but when I asked people what exactly was so bad about them, no one responded. I'm still an outsider on a lot of world politics, so if you could be so kind as to enlighten me as to why M5S is so terrible, I'm all ears.

And I'm not being sarcastic. I'm serious: someone explain to me why it is so bad, because everyone just scoffs at it withouth explanation.

I'm also the kind of guy who would like to like M5S - because yeah, a lot the stuff they denounce is pretty bad and Italy's political stage does badly need a breath of fresh air. But Grillo's ridiculous antics have entirely ruined whatever purpose this party may have had and converted it into meaningless, unfocused anger. They have repeatedly shunned genuine opportunities to participate in reformist initiatives, treated like crap anyone outside their party who tried to open a dialog with them, expelled all their smartest leaders to keep only the most worthless hacks, and have a fondness for nonsensical conspiracy theories. Grillo himself is an egomaniac with dictatorial tendencies, and the M5S's much vaunted internal democracy is a complete farce. There's really no reason to support M5S until you're an Italian whose (understandably) mad at all the other parties.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »

I'm also the kind of guy who would like to like M5S - because yeah, a lot the stuff they denounce is pretty bad and Italy's political stage does badly need a breath of fresh air. But Grillo's ridiculous antics have entirely ruined whatever purpose this party may have had and converted it into meaningless, unfocused anger. They have repeatedly shunned genuine opportunities to participate in reformist initiatives, treated like crap anyone outside their party who tried to open a dialog with them, expelled all their smartest leaders to keep only the most worthless hacks, and have a fondness for nonsensical conspiracy theories. Grillo himself is an egomaniac with dictatorial tendencies, and the M5S's much vaunted internal democracy is a complete farce. There's really no reason to support M5S until you're an Italian whose (understandably) mad at all the other parties.
Ah, I can understand that. Okay, thank you.

No problem. Sorry for not noticing your post before.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies