Postal Service Community Financial Lending Act of 2015 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 11:21:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Postal Service Community Financial Lending Act of 2015 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Postal Service Community Financial Lending Act of 2015 (Law'd)  (Read 2900 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2015, 06:56:15 PM »
« edited: April 13, 2015, 12:24:06 PM by Mideast Senator and Senate speaker windjammer »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Citizen Barnes
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »

Thank you, Speaker.

I am very happy to be before the Senate to speak on this legislation in my capacity as Secretary of Internal Affairs.  This bill is a very simple way to address a very pressing issue in our society.

By allowing the Postal Service to offer basic financial services, a huge section of the population will be able to have access to basic services that they have been denied by an inability to establish a bank account.  By being denied access to a bank, many people have been forced to be subservient to payday lenders. 

This bill will provide a lifeline to millions of people in large and small communities throughout Atlasia.  The Postal Service is present in every town and city, no matter the size, and is trusted by people. 

I urge the Senate to approve this bill and I will happily assist in the debate.   
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 04:18:05 AM »

This seems like a sensible measure to me. I honestly was not aware that the problems the Secretary outlined in his speech were still present in modern Atlasia, but I will not be the one to hinder them get their lives easier. I will support this bill.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 10:10:30 AM »

I concur with Senator Cranberry. Unless serious concerns are brought up later, I see no reason not to vote in favor of this bill.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 10:20:59 AM »

This looks great!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »

Well, it appears this is a non controversial bill. That's why I'm using the Article IV Clause 2 of the senate rules in order to speed the process. (I would be able to open a vote in 24 hours).

Senators have 24 hours to object. I hereby ask unanimous consent.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »

I understand the intent behind this bill, but I'm not sure I understand why the Postal Service is the natural home for these services? The only one that sort of makes sense to me is 1(b)ii...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »

Well considering that Hagrid seems to have concerns with this bill, I withdraw my request.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 12:41:55 PM »

Sorry, hehe. Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »

I understand the intent behind this bill, but I'm not sure I understand why the Postal Service is the natural home for these services? The only one that sort of makes sense to me is 1(b)ii...

There are very simple reasons. Firstly, the Postal Service has a branch in every community in every state in every region - there is no way that someone can be locked out of services geographically. Secondly, the Postal Service is a trusted and established pillar in communities - people know that they can rely on its services and that it exists to help them, not simply to draw a profit. Lastly, by providing these services, the Postal Service will be open to a large degree of revenue that will wipe away any talk of financial decline.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 12:38:34 AM »

This is very sensible legislation. I wonder if we should attach some amount of appropriations to this, however, for the hiring and training of new workers to carry out these services?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 02:20:11 AM »

I am offering an amendment.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 08:39:13 AM »

(Not entirely sure how I figure in the rules with this, but just to be sure.)

Senator Griffin's amendment is friendly. 

I had originally intended the program to be paid for by general appropriations from the Department of Internal Affairs, but if the Senate would like to go ahead and allocate the funds, I shan't complain. Wink
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »

This just keeps getting better and better.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 11:24:11 AM »

(Not entirely sure how I figure in the rules with this, but just to be sure.)

Senator Griffin's amendment is friendly.  

I had originally intended the program to be paid for by general appropriations from the Department of Internal Affairs, but if the Senate would like to go ahead and allocate the funds, I shan't complain. Wink

Well, unfortunately, the previous administration really took a hatchet to our country's vital public spending. Now that the forces of reaction and austerity have been defeated (but for how long... 😱) I think it's imperative that we once again pursue a policy of fully funding our government services.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »

I object.

This should not be a half billion dollar bill. I appreciate the answers I received earlier and I do believe this a service that could be offered (though I'm slightly uncomfortable with the fact that it fundamentally changes what the postal service is), but I don't think we need to be pouring so much money into this thing. Couldn't half of these new jobs be mechanized?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »

Senators, a vote is now open on Griffin's amendment. Please, vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »

AYE
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »

Aye.
If the amount of money has to be lowered, I might support it though.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »

Just to be clear, I am also open to an amended appropriation if it's in the sense of the Senate.

Also, to Senator Hagrid's comments, thank you for supporting the bill, but I don't think this is a fundamental change to the institution.  We are simply expanding a valued, reliable, and trusted service to serve the community in more areas.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 04:08:46 PM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »

The absence of a sitting Senator as sponsor for this creates significant problems. I was under the impression that some Senator would volunteer to act as such for the citizens who proposed legislation. No changes were made to the rules as part of the act and thus Windjammer would literally have to waive the rule on sponsorship like he did on the minimum wage act when I departed from your midst for now on every one of these.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 04:38:54 PM »

Nay

I echo the comments of Senator Hagrid.
I like the original text and I'm ready to vote for it, but I don't think that an half billion dollar is necessary for it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 05:15:29 PM »

The absence of a sitting Senator as sponsor for this creates significant problems. I was under the impression that some Senator would volunteer to act as such for the citizens who proposed legislation. No changes were made to the rules as part of the act and thus Windjammer would literally have to waive the rule on sponsorship like he did on the minimum wage act when I departed from your midst for now on every one of these.
I had thought about this potential problem and fortunately, nothing dramatic will happen Cheesy.

Quote from: Restricted
2 cases are handled by clause 7:
- if a senator wishes to withdraw his sponsorship
-if a senator leaves the senate.

FORTUNATELY, the current situation doesn't apply to clause 7 because Barnes hasn't asked to withdraw his sponsorship, or this bill has no sponsor after someone has left the senate.
So, I DONT HAVE TO SUSPEND THE RULES Cheesy.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length