Cruz announces he's running for president
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:19:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Cruz announces he's running for president
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Cruz announces he's running for president  (Read 15278 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2015, 12:08:13 PM »

While at a meet-and-greet in New Hampshire last week, Ted Cruz made a joke about Existentialism. Now I don't know how much the Senator has actually read of that philosophy, but he did know enough to associate it with "chain-smoking Frenchmen wearing black", so I have to give him credit for that.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »

The clip I saw of his announcement speech had Cruz wearing a clip-on microphone that made him look like a motivational speaker. He'll probably win.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2015, 12:13:41 PM »

Evidently Liberty University required its students to attend the announcement:

His speech was during convocation, which is mandatory for students who live on campus, no matter who the speaker is. It used to be three times a week, now I think they have to go twice a week.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »

Evidently Liberty University required its students to attend the announcement:

His speech was during convocation, which is mandatory for students who live on campus, no matter who the speaker is. It used to be three times a week, now I think they have to go twice a week.

Makes sense. "Liberty" = the freedom to follow strict WASP rules.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »

This is a good sign for Cruz. The past few cycles the Republican who won the nomination has been the one who was the second choice of the most people. I won't be surprised if this time one of the candidates officially adopts "He's my second choice" for a campaign slogan.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »

This is a good sign for Cruz. The past few cycles the Republican who won the nomination has been the one who was the second choice of the most people. I won't be surprised if this time one of the candidates officially adopts "He's my second choice" for a campaign slogan.

"Settle on Cruz Control"
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2015, 02:09:10 PM »

Monarch, Time to admit your wrong prediction: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=207642.0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, Cruz's chances at the nomination are pathetic (the latest poll out of TX shows him leading by just 1 point in the primary) but he wants it really bad.

Why does the poll being for the primary make it worse? His lead is presumably bigger against Hillary than it is against Walker or Bush in a primary.

Well, yeah, but if you're only leading by 1 point in your home state's primary, that's very bad news, as recent republican nominees have generally enjoyed strong support in their home state during the primary. Mitt Romney, John McCain, and George W. Bush all enjoyed double digit victories in their home states (MA,UT,TX) in the primaries.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »

Did anyone see the large group of Rand Paul supporters behind Cruz during his speech??
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »

Only if we mean when he lost to Gerald Ford.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/who-is-ted-cruz,38278/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »

Famed Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz, who had Cruz as a law student, describes Ted Cruz as "off-the-charts brilliant," warning Democrats against underestimating him.

Well, he's also "off-the-charts crazy" so that might compensate for some of his brilliance.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »

That may have been the most anti woman speech I have ever seen, good luck with that outreach Rafael.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »

He was definitely in command of the crowd, though. He's very charismatic for the Christian right worldview.

His speech today could definitely be enough to consolidate Huckabee and Carson support to him.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2015, 03:55:12 PM »

He was definitely in command of the crowd, though. He's very charismatic for the Christian right worldview.

His speech today could definitely be enough to consolidate Huckabee and Carson support to him.
Besides the very visible Rand Paul people behind him?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »

Besides the very visible Rand Paul people behind him?

Rand has hard support. People will jump from Huckabee and Carson flavors to the more exciting Cruz.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »

I just finished the full speech. Pretty impressive job at making issues I know I disagree with him on completely seem palatable. A lot of more moderate Republicans and Independents could get pulled in by this guy. He just might be the nominee.

If you're a Democrat, this is definitely why you want Hillary to go up against him. Elizabeth Warren could not spar with him. Martin O'Malley would get slaughtered Dukakis-style. They are not in Cruz's weight class as a fighter.

Cruz has the very Clintonesque style in that, rather than debate an issue head on, he'll throw a curve ball answer to get people on his side. Only the Clintons can know how to defeat this. Bill Clinton would actually make an excellent debate prep stand-in for Cruz.

I'm interested to see how the GOP nomination polls move from this announcement. Walker got a huge bump for his speech in Iowa on the internet. This was far more impressive.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2015, 04:34:04 PM »

I just finished the full speech. Pretty impressive job at making issues I know I disagree with him on completely seem palatable. A lot of more moderate Republicans and Independents could get pulled in by this guy. He just might be the nominee.

If you're a Democrat, this is definitely why you want Hillary to go up against him. Elizabeth Warren could not spar with him. Martin O'Malley would get slaughtered Dukakis-style. They are not in Cruz's weight class as a fighter.

Cruz has the very Clintonesque style in that, rather than debate an issue head on, he'll throw a curve ball answer to get people on his side. Only the Clintons can know how to defeat this. Bill Clinton would actually make an excellent debate prep stand-in for Cruz.

I'm interested to see how the GOP nomination polls move from this announcement. Walker got a huge bump for his speech in Iowa on the internet. This was far more impressive.

I totally agree.  There is one huge stylistic problem with Cruz though; he can't smile.  Just look at his face, he looks very weird when he smiles.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »

I totally agree.  There is one huge stylistic problem with Cruz though; he can't smile.  Just look at his face, he looks very weird when he smiles.

he's definitely very weird looking... like an uglier mccarthy without that warm alcoholic's glow
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »

he's definitely very weird looking... like an uglier mccarthy without that warm alcoholic's glow

He's McCarthy with Nixon's nose.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2015, 05:06:01 PM »

Not looking forward to hearing his smarmy voice over the airwaves for the next year or so. I seriously don't understand how people call him charismatic.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2015, 05:48:54 PM »

For the record, those conservatives who were and are upset that Barack Obama was not qualified to be president because of his assumed birth in Kenya (he was born in Hawaii, FWIW) either cannot support Ted Cruz because he was born in Canada, but has one American parent, or must immediately drop the illogical and stupid witch-hunt that is the birther movement.  Sadly, I foresee a big double standard coming forth by our conservative friends.  I'm not a fan of Obama's presidency, but I have always defended and will always defend his legitimacy and qualifications to be President of the United States.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »

For the record, those conservatives who were and are upset that Barack Obama was not qualified to be president because of his assumed birth in Kenya (he was born in Hawaii, FWIW) either cannot support Ted Cruz because he was born in Canada, but has one American parent, or must immediately drop the illogical and stupid witch-hunt that is the birther movement.  Sadly, I foresee a big double standard coming forth by our conservative friends.  I'm not a fan of Obama's presidency, but I have always defended and will always defend his legitimacy and qualifications to be President of the United States.

QFT
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »

I'm not a fan of Obama's presidency, but I have always defended and will always defend his legitimacy and qualifications to be President of the United States.

I'm sure he appreciates that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2015, 06:06:20 PM »

Why did Cruz model his campaign logo on the Al Jazeera logo?:

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »

Cruz could have been born on the Moon, it doesn't matter. The birther "movement" is against Obama because of his skin color. That's literally all that is.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies