Did Harold and the Purple Crayon blow your mind as a kid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:53:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

What is that? (Hp option)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Did Harold and the Purple Crayon blow your mind as a kid?  (Read 1072 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:07:32 AM »

Harold chanced a magic purple crayon with which he could draw a world into existence.  I wanted that purple crayon soooo freakin bad. 

How about you? 

Any other book nostalgia?

I remember Arthur and Mrs. Pigglewiggle...and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (kidding)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 04:56:09 AM »

I, as someone born in 1998, did not grow up on Hey Arnold or 90s Nick (I watched Fairly Odd Parents, Spongebob, and House of Mouse, among other things, when I was very young), but I think that I would have well answered yes if I was born earlier.  I remember the cartoons I watched vividly with a mark of nostalgia.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »

Danny and the Dinosaur was the alpha and the omega of children's magical realism.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:20:47 PM »

I, as someone born in 1998, did not grow up on Hey Arnold or 90s Nick (I watched Fairly Odd Parents, Spongebob, and House of Mouse, among other things, when I was very young), but I think that I would have well answered yes if I was born earlier.  I remember the cartoons I watched vividly with a mark of nostalgia.

1998!?!?!?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:46:52 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2015, 01:49:00 PM by TimTurner »

1998!?!?!?

Yes, 1998.  Perhaps I should go into a monologue about just how much I love being mysterious only for some annoying, creepy kid to come near and get whacked down by me.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 02:02:19 PM »

I feel old, I was born in 88. Don't think I remember Harold though it sounds awesome.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 02:25:33 PM »

I feel old, I was born in 88. Don't think I remember Harold though it sounds awesome.

Don't feel old. I was born in 58, and though the book would be appropriate to my generation (published in 1955) I was never exposed to it.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »

Born in 1987 so...
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »

I saw the TV show and remember liking it. Didn't know it was a book series as well.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 05:12:52 PM »

In 3rd grade, we'd watch Magic School Bus and Reading Rainbow every week in class.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »

I spent roughly half of my childhood in the late 1990s and the other half in the early 2000s. Thus, I was able to witness firsthand the massive drop in the quality of kid's shows. It was really jarring. How the hell did we go from Batman to Spongebob?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 06:51:22 PM »

It really did, actually.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 07:21:43 PM »

Voted no because I don't remember learning of Harold till I was about 41 or 42 years old and because in my youth I was a human, not a goat, so I was never a kid.

Nevertheless, I do have a soft spot for Harold and the Purple Crayon because a production company showed up at my university when my son was about 4 or 5 years old and staged a Harold play and my son loved it.  It was well done and actually inspired us to borrow Harold from the local library (which I think was the point).  It turned out to be a good book.  Best of all, the production was one of those family shows promoting reading so we all got free tickets for ourselves and our dependents and the show cost nothing. 

In short, I'm a big Harold fan, but not having discovered it in my youth, and not being an ungulate, I have to vote no in your poll.  I'm sure you understand.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »

As someone that grew up on these books, 1,000,000% yes.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 02:34:41 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2015, 02:50:10 AM by The Inevitable Donald Trump »

Never heard of it.

For me, The Railway Series by Wilbert Awdry will always be my favorite children's book series. Great writing and beautiful illustrations.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 03:12:45 AM »

The cartoons im nostalgic about are

Scooby Doo (my favorite ever)
Flinstones
Jetsons

Ducktales
Darkwing Duck
Tailspin
Chip and Dale, Rescue Rangers

Also
Reading Rainbow
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

The books I posted before were all from 1st grade. 

Nearly every fond memory I have of 1st grade was associated with books being read to the class.  If I were in charge of curriculum...every teacher would devote a portion of every day (presumably after recess and lunch) reading to the students.

I learned so much more being inspired by those stories than any professor can lecture into my brain. 

We start kids off so well...and then increasingly fail them as we begin preparing them for their 'place' in the order of things.

Perhaps this is why the thought of Scott Walker makes me want to puke.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 06:11:15 PM »

Nearly every fond memory I have of 1st grade was associated with books being read to the class. 

I remember the first grade as well.  Mrs. Griffith.  I think she was a good teacher, and she was also very stylish, with her polyester green bell bottoms and large lapels, which in the early 70s were the height of fashion--my mama put me in purple polyester bell bottoms with a white turtleneck sweater for my first grade photo so I could relate.  I also remember the SRA reading colors, and the promotions therein.  What I remember most are two things.  One regarded The Thanksgiving People.  I remember William Bradford, Myles Standish, and Squanto.  I always liked that name, Squanto.  It wasn't politicized back then, either.  Just the facts.  The other thing I remember was the alligator.  The alligator is hungry, and he always eats the larger quantity.  Thus, 9>3, but 17<24.  See that alligator eating the larger number?  It's always like that. 

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies