Quebec redistricting, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:07:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec redistricting, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quebec redistricting, 2015  (Read 3577 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2015, 06:39:31 AM »

As someone asked on the Canadian Internation thread, here it is.

After every 2 elections, Quebec gets a new electoral map. We are at draft step, after there will be public audiences + written comments, a report and then Assembly voting on it. 36 ridings are modified, 89 aren't.

The draft is there:

http://lacarte.electionsquebec.qc.ca/en/

Main change is adding two ridings around St-Jérome (Les Plaines and Prévost) while deleting two ridings (St-Maurice in Mauricie and merging Mont-Royal and Outremont together to create Mont-Royal--Outremont, with domino effects on D'Arcy-McGee and Notre-Dame-de-Grâce).

Changes are very slight in other regions, if existing at all. Only one slight change in Quebec City...
Only 36 ridings are changing, 89 don't change at all.

I will run calculations for the exact partisan impact of the redistribution later today, but I would say it's good for PQ. St-Jérôme area is good for PQ, the deleted Montreal seat is a PLQ stronghold and Saint-Maurice has a slight PQ lean, but is currently Liberal. More exact numbers later.

Now, in detail:

Abitibi-Témiscamingue: No change
Bas-Saint-Laurent: No change
Capitale-Nationale (Québec City): 3800 electors are moved from Chauveau to Charlesbourg.
Chaudière-Appalaches: No change
Côte-Nord: No change
Estrie and Centre-du-Québec: Valcourt city and three other municipalities (Valcourt township, Racine and Maricourt) are moved from Richmont to Orford.
Gaspésie: No change

Montréal: One deleted riding, Outremont. The Plateau part of Outremont goes to Mercier, Outremont and the Université de Montréal area goes into a new “Mont-Royal--Outremont” and most of Côte-des-Neiges goes in D’Arcy-McGee, which also takes a part of Côte-des-Neiges which was in Mont-Royal. D’Arcy-McGee also loses its part of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce to Notre-Dame-de-Grâce riding. Westmount--Saint-Louis takes a part of Saint-Henri--Sainte-Anne. The Crémazie/Bourassa-Sauvé border is adjusted to follow the Montréal-Nord borough border.

Laurentides-Lanaudière: Two added ridings, both in St-Jérôme area. A new riding called “Les Plaines” is made from Saint-Janvier part of Mirabel city (Mirabel riding), Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines (Blainville riding) and La Plaine part of Terrebonne city (Masson). This allows to put back all of Blainville city in Blainville riding (a small part is currently in Groulx). Finally for that area, Masson is too small after that, so it takes the Lachenaie part of Terrebonne city from L’Assomption riding.

A new riding called Prévost (like the 1973-2012 one) with six municipalities. 4 from Bertrand (Prévost, St-Sauveur, Piedmont and Ste-Anne-des-Lacs) and 2 from Rousseau (St-Hippolyte and Ste-Sophie). That causes domino effect, obviously. Bertrand fixes that by taking two municipalities from Rousseau (Rawdon and Chertsey) and Rousseau takes three municipalities from Joliette (St-Jacques, St-Liguori and Ste-Marie-Salomé). Joliette being overpopulated right now, it’s the end of the dominoes.

Laval: 2500 electors are moved from Chomedey to Fabre.

Mauricie: The other big change. They go from 5 to 4 ridings. The deleted riding is St-Maurice (the one covering the center of the region). It’s splitted between the three other rural ridings of Mauricie. The Shawinigan, St-Gérard-des-Laurentides et Lac-à-la-Tortue parts of Shawinigan city are moved into Laviolette (north riding), municipalities of St-Boniface, St-Mathieu-du-Parc and the Shawinigan-Sud part of Shawinigan city are moved into Maskinongé (west riding) and Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel is moved into Champlain (east riding). Maskinongé becomes too populated, so 10000 electors from the west of the city of Trois-Rivières are transferred from Maskinongé into Trois-Rivières riding.

Montérégie: Only two changes. Hudson and the non-contiguous part of Vaudreuil-Dorion are transferred from Vaudreuil to Soulanges. Also, the city of Brossard is now separared, 7000 electors are moved from La Pinière to Laporte, to make La Pinière smaller.
Northern Quebec: No change.
Saguenay--Lac-St-Jean: No change

Outaouais: Chelsea municipality is moved from Gatineau riding (which isn’t about the city, but is a rural riding centered on Gatineau River valley) to Hull riding. Also, Chapleau (which is the riding centered on Gatineau) has its limit moved east to lower the population of Papineau, so 2300 electors are moved. That change is within Gatineau city.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:36:36 PM »

First part of partisan impact:

Chauveau, now: CAQ 52, PLQ 30, PQ 12, QS 4, Oth 2
Chauveau, draft: same

Charlesbourg, now: PLQ 42, CAQ 32, PQ 18, QS 5, Oth 3
Charlesbourg, draft: PLQ 41, CAQ 34, PQ 18, QS 5, Oth 3

Expected, Orsainville is a CAQ neighboorhood, in both ridings. Putting more of Orsainville in Charlesbourg helps CAQ.

Richmond, now: PLQ 41, PQ 28, CAQ 22, QS 7, Oth 2
Richmond, draft: same

Orford, now: PLQ 44, PQ 26, CAQ 21, QS 8, Oth 1
Orford, draft: PLQ 44, PQ 26, CAQ 22, QS 8, Oth 1

Not much to say, they are pretty much average villages.

Chomedey, now: PLQ 73, PQ 11, CAQ 11, QS 3, Oth 2
Chomedey draft: PLQ 73, PQ 12, CAQ 11, QS 3, Oth 2

Fabre, now: PLQ 55, PQ 21, CAQ 18, QS 6, Oth 0
Fabre, draft: PLQ 56, PQ 20, CAQ 18, QS 6, Oth 1

Moving a part of the Liberal stronghold Chomedey into another riding obviously helps Liberals.

Vaudreuil, now: PLQ 61, PQ 16, CAQ 16, QS 5, Oth 3
Vaudreuil, draft: PLQ 60, PQ 17, CAQ 16, QS 5, Oth 3

Soulanges, now: PLQ 54, PQ 32, QS 10, Oth 4 (CAQ failed paperwork)
Soulanges, draft: PLQ 55, PQ 31, QS 10, Oth 5

The very anglophone and wealthy Hudson is very, very, very Liberal. Moving it has a slight impact.

La Pinière, now: PLQ 58, Ind 23, CAQ 13, QS 4, Oth 2 (ind was endorsed by PQ)
La Pinière, draft: PLQ 58 Ind 24, CAQ 13, QS 4, Oth 2

Laporte, now: PLQ 48, PQ 24, CAQ 18, QS 8, Oth 3
Laporte, draft: PLQ 49, PQ 24, CAQ 17, QS 7, Oth 3 (counting Houda-Pepin as PQ)

Brossard is quite Liberal, splitting a part away is helping Liberals.

Current change: nil.

Next: Outaouais, Laurentides, Mauricie, Montreal.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2015, 10:08:42 AM by 🍁 Hatman »

Obviously, PLQ loses a seat in Montreal and Saint-Maurice. It looks like the new Prevost riding went CAQ, even though it is carved from two PQ ridings. However, the election day maps are deceiving, as we saw a huge difference between E-Day results and absentee ballots. Are you factoring in absentee votes in your transposition?

Also, Les Plaines looks to be a CAQ seat (also carved from 3 CAQ seats).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »

Here's my comments/suggestions for new riding names (what else would you expect from me!):

Les Plaines: Not a bad name, considering it contains Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines and the La Plaine sector of Terrebonne. The name doesn't cover the Saint-Janvier sector of Mirabel though, so how about Les Plaines--Saint-Janvier? If you don't mind long names, then the more inclusive name would be Sainte-Anne--La Plaine--Saint-Janvier.

Prevost: Obvious desire to re-incarnate the old riding name since it includes the municipality of Prevost. However, Prevost contains only part of the riding (I realize it was also named for the family). Prevost is the largest city in the riding and the second largest municipality. I can't really think of a better name for the district at the moment. Any ideas?

Mont-Royal--Outremont: Not a bad name, but the riding contains part of Cote-des-Neiges, so at the risk of having a long name, howabout Mont-Royal--Outremont--Cote-des-Neiges?

Effected ridings:
Masson -> Mascouche (obviously)
Terrebonne -> Terrebonne (only loses a newly annexed suburb of the city anyways)
Mirabel -> Mirabel. Not the best name, as the riding contains some territory on Lac Deux-Montagnes, but losing Saint-Janvier still puts most of the riding in Mirabel. Plus, Deux-Montagnes is in another riding of the same name.
Bertrand -> Huh I think this riding was a point of contention last time I created alternative riding names. I wanted Les Laurentides I think, but it was too general?
Rousseau -> Montcalm. Territory is now the entirety of this MRC, so it's an obvious name.

D'Arcy-McGee -> Cote-Saint-Luc--Hampstead or Cote-Saint-Luc--Hampstead--Snowdon.
Notre-Dame-de-Grace -> Notre-Dame-de-Grace--Montreal-Ouest. The riding now contains all of these two places.
Mercier -> Mile-End or Mile-End--Laurier. This riding contains all of Mile-End now.
Westmount--Saint-Louis -> Westmount--McGill.  The riding contains Westmount plust the area around McGill University.
Saint-Henri--Sainte-Anne -> Le Sud-Ouest? I hate that name, but it is the Borough name that the riding now has the exact same boundaries with. Also, the alternative is way too long: Saint-Henri--Saint-Paul--Pointe-Saint-Charles--Emard (based on a similar 1990s federal riding name, which was just as long).

Saint-Maurice:

Maskinonge -> Maskinonge--Saint-Maurice: Maskinonge already contained much of the historic Saint-Maurice County. Now that Saint-Maurice is dead, might as well add the name to this riding, especially since it gains even more of Saint-Maurice.
Champlain -> Champlain: The new territory is also located in the historic Champlain County. A more modern name for the riding could be Les Cheneaux--Cap-de-la-Madeleine reflecting the MRC and the community in Trois-Rivieres which is also in the riding.
Trois-Rivieres -> Trois-Rivieres: Just loses a neighbourhood.
Laviolette -> Shawinigan--Mekinac--La Tuque. The old part of Shawinigan has been transferred to this riding, so it makes sense to include it in the name. The riding also includes Mekinac and La Tuqe MRCs.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »

Obviously, PLQ loses a seat in Montreal and Saint-Maurice. It looks like the new Prevost riding went CAQ, even though it is carved from two PQ ridings. However, the election day maps are deceiving, as we saw a huge difference between E-Day results and absentee ballots. Are you factoring in absentee votes in your transposition?

Also, Les Plaines looks to be a CAQ seat (also carved from 3 CAQ seats).

No, since it's quite complicated and given than the ridings I did yet are small movements involving around 10%, I thought it was useless.

But, I'll do something for the ridings with more changes or being quite close.

For ridings:

Ste-Anne--La Plaine--St-Janvier is a no, since "St-Anne" is too vague and wouldn't help people. Les Plaines--Saint-Janvier would work, but I prefer simpler, really, for there. There isn't much community cohesion anyways, it's growing suburbia.

Prévost is fine.

I would keep Mont-Royal--Outremont since only the half of Côte-des-Neiges is in.

Bertrand: No, Les Laurentides is still too general. It's a region spreading from Mt-Laurier to Blainville, from Argenteuil to Mascouche. It's also a mountain rage ranging from there through Saguenay.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:08:03 PM »

Prevost includes a lot of mountains, so why not call it Sainte-Sophie--Les Monts?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 12:15:10 AM »

Prevost includes a lot of mountains, so why not call it Sainte-Sophie--Les Monts?

Because there is a lot of mountains in other ridings, too. St-Adèle, Morin Heights, Mt-Tremblant, Ste-Agathe-des-MONTS.

And Ste-Sophie has no name recognition (well, much less than Prévost or St-Sauveur or Piedmont). Old people from my area know it as "the place on the old highway to Montreal where it smells bad".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:37 AM »

Sainte-Sophie is the largest municipality, so what about Prevost--Sainte-Sophie?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 03:10:37 PM »

Sainte-Sophie is the largest municipality, so what about Prevost--Sainte-Sophie?

In theory, that might be good, but we know than they will prefer to stick to the previous name Prévost. At least, it's not named after a person.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »

I'm not offering names for submission, but just alternate names for the sake of it Smiley

I don't think I'd bother submitting better names, they do seem to fit within the mould that is Quebec riding naming conventions Tongue
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »

To reactivate this thread. Public hearings were held in 2015. The members of the National assembly only had the hearings to give their input in September 2016. So, the revised report could be ready in February or March 2017. I read that in the newspaper, the story was about Montreal mayor had sent a letter in October to the commission in support of a name change, to replace Crémazie with Maurice Richard.

The suggestions for name change by members of National Assembly were:

Crémazie to Maurice Richard
L'assomption to Jacques Parizeau
Charlevoix - Côte de Beaupré to  Charlevoix - Côte de Beaupré - Ile d'Orléans
Richmond to Richmond - Rock Forest
Vimont to Vimont - Auteuil
Matane -Matapédia to Matane - Matapédia - Mitis
Rivière-dy-Loup - Témiscouata to Rivière-dy-Loup - Témiscouata - Les Basques

There is usually a limit to two names in a riding name so adding a third might be too much.

As for the riding limits, the Mauricie fought to keep its 5 ridings. The Liberal party fought for the status quo, question adding two ridings in Laurentides-Lanaudière, too soon, some ridings will have low population, the number of exceptions to the below 25% of the mean accepted by the commission, why could there not be an exception added to Mauricie, the map is based on number of electors but the non-electors should be taking into account, legal opinion on the legality of the new map, respecting natural communities sometimes ethnic, be prident, prefer stability to have changes again next time, the last map was made not that long ago, the quotientfor population per riding should be calculated excluding the exception ridings (those with below 25% of the mean).   

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 11:14:10 PM »

The second report is out and the big difference is the commission backed off on merging Outremont and Mont-Royal. That is what happens sometimes, people oppose so the commission leave them alone and instead look elsewhere and those affected don't have the chance to speak at public hearings.

So in Montreal it's Sainte-Marie Saint-Jacques that will disappear. Westmount is taken from what was Westmount-Saint-Louis to go to NDG to become Westmount-Notre-Dame de-Grâce. The rest of Westmount-St-Louis becomes Ville-Marie and includes most of what was Saintr-Marie-Saint-Jacques.

The part north of Sherbrooke Street in the former Sainte-Marie - Saint-Jacques goes to join Mercier and what is east of De Lorimier (Jacques Cartier bridge) is put in Hochelaga -Maisonneuve.

I will try a direct link to the riding map:
http://lacarte.electionsquebec.qc.ca/en/map.php?bsq=389
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 08:00:59 AM »

The second report is out and the big difference is the commission backed off on merging Outremont and Mont-Royal. That is what happens sometimes, people oppose so the commission leave them alone and instead look elsewhere and those affected don't have the chance to speak at public hearings.

So in Montreal it's Sainte-Marie Saint-Jacques that will disappear. Westmount is taken from what was Westmount-Saint-Louis to go to NDG to become Westmount-Notre-Dame de-Grâce. The rest of Westmount-St-Louis becomes Ville-Marie and includes most of what was Saintr-Marie-Saint-Jacques.

The part north of Sherbrooke Street in the former Sainte-Marie - Saint-Jacques goes to join Mercier and what is east of De Lorimier (Jacques Cartier bridge) is put in Hochelaga -Maisonneuve.

I will try a direct link to the riding map:
http://lacarte.electionsquebec.qc.ca/en/map.php?bsq=389

QS would be the most affected here no? SMSJ they only barely won, but now Hochelaga-Maisonneuve which they were only 1000 votes or so away from winning becomes more winnable, gaining a huge chunk of polls that QS won.
Ville Marie is now dominated by the Liberals thanks to the western portion now, likely a Liberal win unless QS can find a strong candidate that can win over Progressive Liberals (I don't think that's Masse)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »

So they didn't get a federal Maurice-Richard riding, so now they're trying provincially? Jesus.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »

QS would be the most affected here no? SMSJ they only barely won, but now Hochelaga-Maisonneuve which they were only 1000 votes or so away from winning becomes more winnable, gaining a huge chunk of polls that QS won.
Ville Marie is now dominated by the Liberals thanks to the western portion now, likely a Liberal win unless QS can find a strong candidate that can win over Progressive Liberals (I don't think that's Masse)

It could nullify the growth of Québec Solidaire. Hochelaga-Maisonneuve was potentially a fourth elected member (their next target I presume) but now if they win it it will be three members, the same if there are no other gain (or loss). And it will probably be a strong battle.

Maybe someone good with numbers can see what Liberal margin would be in Ville-Marie. The west part is so strong Liberal and non-francophones stick with the Liberals, I don't know if another party would have a chance.

CAQ and PQ support QS on the new map. The process in unacceptable. There should be time for input like ridings affected by changes in the proposal had the chance to. I think tthere is a 5 hour debate in the National Assembly and then the final map will be published.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 05:35:36 PM »

The final report is imminent. There were critics about the Montreal and Mauricie regional map proposed in the second (February 2017) report.

In Mauricie MRC Mékinac is split and would like to stay together. Also the Trois-Rivières riding now contains a part on the east side of the river and to drive to it you need to go through another riding (and probably not as urban).

In Montreal, will Sainte-Marie Saint-Jacques survive? Did the commission had a plan C? In just two weeks there was a petition and mobilization, probably much more public reaction than the Outremont / Mont-Royal proposal. The director of elections said he could hold public hearings on the second report (Sainte-Marie/Saint-Jacques being eliminated) if the law is changed because public hearings need to happen in the 10 months following the first report. The government response was we should let the normal process continue its course (= had to publish a final report in 10 days).

Maybe plan C is eliminating Hochelaga-Maisonneuve instead. Target the poor to the east. I would like to dismantle Laurier-Dorion but it would require many changes around.

Some proposals were abandoned in the second report. Using the description in the first post, they are:

Estrie and Centre-du-Québec: Valcourt city and three other municipalities (Valcourt township, Racine and Maricourt) are moved from Richmont to Orford.
This proposal was cancelled so no change in this region.

Montréal: The Crémazie/Bourassa-Sauvé border is adjusted to follow the Montréal-Nord borough border.
This was cancelled. No change to the two ridings to follow the borough border.

Montérégie: Only two changes. Hudson and the non-contiguous part of Vaudreuil-Dorion are transferred from Vaudreuil to Soulanges. Also, the city of Brossard is now separared, 7000 electors are moved from La Pinière to Laporte, to make La Pinière smaller.
The part of Vaudreuil-Dorion that was proposed to go to Soulanges will stay in Vaudreuil. So the only changes in the region are Hudson going in Soulanges and part of brossard to Laporte as first proposed. 

Outaouais: Chelsea municipality is moved from Gatineau riding (which isn’t about the city, but is a rural riding centered on Gatineau River valley) to Hull riding. Also, Chapleau (which is the riding centered on Gatineau) has its limit moved east to lower the population of Papineau, so 2300 electors are moved. That change is within Gatineau city.
This proposal was cancelled so no change in this region.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »

Final decision is out. In Montreal the commission goes back to its initial proposal, the merge of Mont-Royal and Outremont.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »

Crémazie changes name (but not boundaries) to Maurice-Richard. First time for a sporstman's name to be used for a riding.

For the central area of Montreal, the final decision goes back to the boundaries in the first proposal. And the new map for the Laurentides and Lanaudière with two new ridings never changed.

Montréal: One deleted riding, Outremont. The Plateau part of Outremont goes to Mercier, Outremont and the Université de Montréal area goes into a new “Mont-Royal--Outremont” and most of Côte-des-Neiges goes in D’Arcy-McGee, which also takes a part of Côte-des-Neiges which was in Mont-Royal. D’Arcy-McGee also loses its part of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce to Notre-Dame-de-Grâce riding. Westmount--Saint-Louis takes a part of Saint-Henri--Sainte-Anne.

Laurentides-Lanaudière: Two added ridings, both in St-Jérôme area. A new riding called “Les Plaines” is made from Saint-Janvier part of Mirabel city (Mirabel riding), Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines (Blainville riding) and La Plaine part of Terrebonne city (Masson). This allows to put back all of Blainville city in Blainville riding (a small part is currently in Groulx). Finally for that area, Masson is too small after that, so it takes the Lachenaie part of Terrebonne city from L’Assomption riding.

A new riding called Prévost (like the 1973-2012 one) with six municipalities. 4 from Bertrand (Prévost, St-Sauveur, Piedmont and Ste-Anne-des-Lacs) and 2 from Rousseau (St-Hippolyte and Ste-Sophie). That causes domino effect, obviously. Bertrand fixes that by taking two municipalities from Rousseau (Rawdon and Chertsey) and Rousseau takes three municipalities from Joliette (St-Jacques, St-Liguori and Ste-Marie-Salomé). Joliette being overpopulated right now, it’s the end of the dominoes.

There are the adjustments because of numbers. Small part of Chauveau goes to Charlesbourg, part of La Pinière to Laporte, part of Chomedey to Fabre and Hudson goes from Vaudreuil to Soulanges.

Mauricie loses a riding and now has 4. Saint-Maurice is mostly merged with Laviolette (Laviolette - Saint-Maurice). A big part of MRC de Mékinac (Saint-Tite, Saint-Séverin, Lac-aux-Sables, Notre-Dame-de-Montauban, Sainte-Thècle, Saint-Adelphe and Hérouxville) that was in Laviolette is now in Champlain. Champlain has the biggest population in the region, 20% above the provincial mean.

Maskinongé has the lowest population (11% below mean) because it lost the territory of Trois-Rivières east of highway 55 and only gained Saint-Boniface and Saint-Mathieu-du-Parc from the former Saint-Maurice. Trois-Rivières gains the part east of highway 55 that was in Maskinongé.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »

A coalition including local mayors and borough mayors with former Liberal MP Marlene Jennings is contesting in court the new map, fighting the merger of Outremont and Mont-Royal ridings. Julius Grey is their lawyer.

http://montrealgazette.com/opinion/columnists/allison-hanes-citizens-take-up-new-gauntlet-changes-to-electoral-map

You must be logged in to read this quote.

One of their complaint is Montreal island loses one riding while there are regional ridings with fewer voters. There are six ridings maintained that are below 25% of the theoretical riding population average.

I find it false to say Montreal is at a disadvantage. I added the numbers of voters of all ridings on the island in the list given by the electoral commission proposal. The number in November 2014 is 1.306 million. The electoral quotient was 48 387 so it gives 27 ridings. Moving from 28 to 27 ridings is just representation and not being victim of keeping some smaller population ridings in more isolated regions.
Krago
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »

Does anyone have a link to a full map of the new districts in Quebec or Montreal?  All I can find on the site is this tool that compares individual ridings
http://lacarte.electionsquebec.qc.ca/en/search.php.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »

I don't see a map with all final changes. The closest thing is the map from the second report but the last minute changes that came after were for Montreal and Mauricie region (the four ridings).

Except for Montreal and Mauricie, the rest of second report map is correct.
http://lacarte.electionsquebec.qc.ca/fr/second_rapport.php

For Montreal the final decision on Outremont/Mont-Royal and other central ridings was to come back to the preliminary report (first proposal). The Montreal island map of the preliminary report was here but it's not the final map because of a proposed change to Crémazie (now Maurice-Richard) and Bourassa-Sauvé that was abandoned.

http://lacarte.electionsquebec.qc.ca/docs/cartes_regionales/Montreal.pdf

So this is good except the blue colour of Crémazie (new name is Maurice-Richard) should extend in a small band along the river. The thick red line of the old boundary stays as the boundary with Bouraasa Sauvé.

Warning to readers, the links are not the final map. I'm trying to navigate between the different proposal maps.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »

So, critics panned the decision to rename a federal riding after the Rocket, so now they're going to try and do it provincially? Looking forward to the new riding of "Céline-Dion" (née L'Assomption) as well.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 06:16:00 PM »

So, critics panned the decision to rename a federal riding after the Rocket, so now they're going to try and do it provincially? Looking forward to the new riding of "Céline-Dion" (née L'Assomption) as well.

Wouldn't be allowed by the Toponomy Board, as she is still alive.
Krago
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 12:45:24 PM »

Does anyone have a link to a full map of the new districts in Quebec or Montreal?  All I can find on the site is this tool that compares individual ridings
http://lacarte.electionsquebec.qc.ca/en/search.php.

The final regional maps are now on the website:

http://lacarte.electionsquebec.qc.ca/fr/rapport_final.php
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies