Quebec redistricting, 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:54:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec redistricting, 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quebec redistricting, 2015  (Read 3617 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: March 23, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
« edited: March 23, 2015, 10:08:42 AM by 🍁 Hatman »

Obviously, PLQ loses a seat in Montreal and Saint-Maurice. It looks like the new Prevost riding went CAQ, even though it is carved from two PQ ridings. However, the election day maps are deceiving, as we saw a huge difference between E-Day results and absentee ballots. Are you factoring in absentee votes in your transposition?

Also, Les Plaines looks to be a CAQ seat (also carved from 3 CAQ seats).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:24:27 AM »

Here's my comments/suggestions for new riding names (what else would you expect from me!):

Les Plaines: Not a bad name, considering it contains Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines and the La Plaine sector of Terrebonne. The name doesn't cover the Saint-Janvier sector of Mirabel though, so how about Les Plaines--Saint-Janvier? If you don't mind long names, then the more inclusive name would be Sainte-Anne--La Plaine--Saint-Janvier.

Prevost: Obvious desire to re-incarnate the old riding name since it includes the municipality of Prevost. However, Prevost contains only part of the riding (I realize it was also named for the family). Prevost is the largest city in the riding and the second largest municipality. I can't really think of a better name for the district at the moment. Any ideas?

Mont-Royal--Outremont: Not a bad name, but the riding contains part of Cote-des-Neiges, so at the risk of having a long name, howabout Mont-Royal--Outremont--Cote-des-Neiges?

Effected ridings:
Masson -> Mascouche (obviously)
Terrebonne -> Terrebonne (only loses a newly annexed suburb of the city anyways)
Mirabel -> Mirabel. Not the best name, as the riding contains some territory on Lac Deux-Montagnes, but losing Saint-Janvier still puts most of the riding in Mirabel. Plus, Deux-Montagnes is in another riding of the same name.
Bertrand -> Huh I think this riding was a point of contention last time I created alternative riding names. I wanted Les Laurentides I think, but it was too general?
Rousseau -> Montcalm. Territory is now the entirety of this MRC, so it's an obvious name.

D'Arcy-McGee -> Cote-Saint-Luc--Hampstead or Cote-Saint-Luc--Hampstead--Snowdon.
Notre-Dame-de-Grace -> Notre-Dame-de-Grace--Montreal-Ouest. The riding now contains all of these two places.
Mercier -> Mile-End or Mile-End--Laurier. This riding contains all of Mile-End now.
Westmount--Saint-Louis -> Westmount--McGill.  The riding contains Westmount plust the area around McGill University.
Saint-Henri--Sainte-Anne -> Le Sud-Ouest? I hate that name, but it is the Borough name that the riding now has the exact same boundaries with. Also, the alternative is way too long: Saint-Henri--Saint-Paul--Pointe-Saint-Charles--Emard (based on a similar 1990s federal riding name, which was just as long).

Saint-Maurice:

Maskinonge -> Maskinonge--Saint-Maurice: Maskinonge already contained much of the historic Saint-Maurice County. Now that Saint-Maurice is dead, might as well add the name to this riding, especially since it gains even more of Saint-Maurice.
Champlain -> Champlain: The new territory is also located in the historic Champlain County. A more modern name for the riding could be Les Cheneaux--Cap-de-la-Madeleine reflecting the MRC and the community in Trois-Rivieres which is also in the riding.
Trois-Rivieres -> Trois-Rivieres: Just loses a neighbourhood.
Laviolette -> Shawinigan--Mekinac--La Tuque. The old part of Shawinigan has been transferred to this riding, so it makes sense to include it in the name. The riding also includes Mekinac and La Tuqe MRCs.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:08:03 PM »

Prevost includes a lot of mountains, so why not call it Sainte-Sophie--Les Monts?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:37 AM »

Sainte-Sophie is the largest municipality, so what about Prevost--Sainte-Sophie?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »

I'm not offering names for submission, but just alternate names for the sake of it Smiley

I don't think I'd bother submitting better names, they do seem to fit within the mould that is Quebec riding naming conventions Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »

So they didn't get a federal Maurice-Richard riding, so now they're trying provincially? Jesus.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »

So, critics panned the decision to rename a federal riding after the Rocket, so now they're going to try and do it provincially? Looking forward to the new riding of "Céline-Dion" (née L'Assomption) as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies