Should Germany pay Greece reparations for World War II?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:55:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should Germany pay Greece reparations for World War II?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Should Germany pay Greece reparations for World War II?  (Read 4628 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »

Yes (normal).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:04:07 AM »

No, they should just accept to write off a part of the Greek debt and implement Euro-bonds. No need to resurrect old disputes if they stop being pretentious pricks on current ones.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »

No, they should just accept to write off a part of the Greek debt and implement Euro-bonds. No need to resurrect old disputes if they stop being pretentious pricks on current ones.

Forgiving the Greek debt would be an acceptable "payment" of reparations, yes.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »

Yes, because the last time Germany had to pay reparations, it worked out well for everyone involved Roll Eyes
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »

I voted no, but only because the option maybe didn't exist. Greece may have a realistic claim, the problem is that this claim come at this point in time. Greece have had two decades since the reunification (which they claim is then German should pay it debt). Greece have completely ignored it until it was discovered that they had delivered false budgets for years to EU. Suddenly Germany now owed Greece money.

As for Antonio's suggestion, as most Greek debt is in French banks, I'm sure it's not just pure opportunism.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 11:36:50 AM »

Yes, because the last time Germany had to pay reparations, it worked out well for everyone involved Roll Eyes

OK, then Greece knows what it has to do to get some respect from Europe: elect an insane, warmongering tyrant who will spread death and misery throughout the continent.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »

Ehh, no.

Germany and Greece already settled that issue together in a contract in the 1950s.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »

As for Antonio's suggestion, as most Greek debt is in French banks, I'm sure it's not just pure opportunism.

Does not follow.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 11:48:44 AM »

Does not follow.

Well I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that your suggestion will result in German tax money being transfered to French bankers.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »

Of course not. Jesus. How the hell is "Yes" winning?

You know, now that I think about it, it's remarkable that I don't think I've ever seen a thread on this situation that hasn't been  poor innocent Greece  or alternatively weird glee at how Greece can best fuck up Europe as some kind of infantile revenge for the consequences of their own mistakes. Even the election threads were dominated by Trotskyite hysterics.

I look forward to Tsipras's next pathetic stunt, anyway. Does Greece have a nuclear power plant he can threaten to force into meltdown?

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »

Does not follow.

Well I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that your suggestion will result in German tax money being transfered to French bankers.

I don't get it. Why should writing off the debt owed by Greece toward French banks be a good thing for said French banks and a bad thing for Germany?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 11:56:57 AM »

Of course not. Jesus. How the hell is "Yes" winning?

You know, now that I think about it, it's remarkable that I don't think I've ever seen a thread on this situation that hasn't been  poor innocent Greece  or alternatively weird glee at how Greece can best fuck up Europe as some kind of infantile revenge for the consequences of their own mistakes. Even the election threads were dominated by Trotskyite hysterics.

I look forward to Tsipras's next pathetic stunt, anyway. Does Greece have a nuclear power plant he can threaten to force into meltdown?

Are you living in an alternate reality? This forum is full of insane austericrats.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »

Nowadays, the roles seem to be exchanged. Frau Merkel and Herr Schäuble are developing an increasing similarity with Monsieur Clemenceau.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »

Are you living in an alternate reality? This forum is full of insane austericrats.

Well, I still have some hope left that you will once join the good side too, once you start earning your own money - instead of simply spending the money from your parents to finance your studies etc. ... Wink
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »

Does not follow.

I don't get it. Why should writing off the debt owed by Greece toward French banks be a good thing for said French banks and a bad thing for Germany?

Because Germany don't owe most of the Greek debt, they're only the third largest Greek creditor (after France and UK). So what you really suggest is Germany taking over the Greek debt.

I don't serious think you knew this. But I think you should think about it, everytime a French media suggest that the Germans should cover the Greek debt. What they really say are; "save our banks".

BTW I found a nice BBC graph from 2012

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »

The exposure of German banks to the Greek debt has fallen dramatically since the beginning of the crisis, because more than 80% of the rescue package went to foreign banks. Also, German banks were the main beneficiaries of the Spanish bank bailout. Nowadays the Greek debt is owed mainly to 'official' creditors, that is to say, European taxpayers and IMF. Thanks to the backdoor rescue of the German banking system, Germany can play the Grexit card without fearing adverse consequences. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »

Maybe I'm dumb but I still don't get the point Ingermann is trying to make. The fact that French banks own most of the Greek debt should make me support slashing off said debt? What sense does that make?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 01:00:50 PM »

Well, I still have some hope left that you will once join the good side too, once you start earning your own money - instead of simply spending the money from your parents to finance your studies etc. ... Wink

Spoken like a true US Republican. "Those damn lib'ruls only care about helping the poor because they're lazy moochers, but once they begin working their ass off they'll become good upstanding fiscal conservatives like us!"
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »

Austerity objectively doesn't work so I'm really not sure what to make of this tendency to act like it's the default position and any deviation from it is infantile histrionics.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »

Austerity objectively doesn't work so I'm really not sure what to make of this tendency to act like it's the default position and any deviation from it is infantile histrionics.

Indeed. I spent several threads trying to make this point, but I've mostly given up by now. I've come to realize the entire northern Europe is subject to an incessant media propaganda that systematically distorts facts to create an alternate reality where Greece could magically solve all of its problems and start off anew if it just wanted to, but instead for some reason prefers to continue mooching off the good harworking northern countries. This has become a mass indoctrination. You'd have better chances convincing a Scientology adept that he's being scammed.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 01:29:11 PM »

Spending like there's no tomorrow objectively doesn't work either.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 02:32:43 PM »

Spoken like a true US Republican. "Those damn lib'ruls only care about helping the poor because they're lazy moochers, but once they begin working their ass off they'll become good upstanding fiscal conservatives like us!"

Well, working for one's own keep and facing the realities that come therewith does breed a healthy antipathy of the naively affluent creature known as the leftist.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 06:50:42 PM »

yes, but France paying Haiti is the most important.  re-instate Aristide and give him a $75b check.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 07:19:46 PM »

False dichotomy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 07:34:37 PM »

False dichotomy.

Is there anything to suggest Greece would change course from what they've been doing if they were given money with no strings attached to cover their debts?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies