Which continents have you been to? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:35:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which continents have you been to? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Africa

Antarctica

Asia

Australia/Oceania

Europe

North America

South America

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which continents have you been to?  (Read 3737 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »

In addition to North America, I've visited Africa, Asia, South America, and the collection of islands and peninsulas hanging off the Asian continent that passes itself off as a continent (i.e., Europe). 

Never been to Australia or Antarctica.  Probably never will.  To be honest, although I would very, very much like to go diving on the Great Barrier Reef.  Maybe after the boy finishes university and I don't have to worry about stuff like returning home...

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:00:25 AM »

To be honest, although I would very, very much like to go diving on the Great Barrier Reef.  Maybe after the boy finishes university and I don't have to worry about stuff like returning home...

You might not want to put that off for too long... Sad
Oh the conundrum..do you see it before it dies knowing that by doing so you only hasten its death?

A paradox, isn't it?  I suppose that one could sail there using windpower rather than taking a commercial flight and then a motorboat. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »

I'm feeling rather incontinent about the inclusion of that one.  As a linguist you should as well.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:03:37 AM »

I'm feeling rather incontinent about the inclusion of that one.  As a linguist you should as well.

Of course not, dear angus.  As a linguist, if it the word that is in general circulation, it is of course the "right" one!

The word is of course in general circulation--I encountered it first as a proper noun and the name of a company my father worked for in the mid 70s--but it is in circulation as referring a group of archipelagos and island nations.  The etymology of continent suggests Latin roots:  con (with) and ten (hold).  Continent therefore implies "held together."  What holds Oceania together?  The specific modern definitions of continent are (1) able to control one's urination and defecation, (2) exercising self-restraint from sexual activity, (3) one of Earth's large land masses, and (4) that part of the Earth's crust that rises above the oceans and is composed of sialic rocks.  Under which of these four definitions would Oceania be a legitimate continent?  I guess the fourth one.  Fair enough.  Still, it seems odd to throw the word continent about like that since if it refers to collections of small islands it will have lost the main part of its original meaning.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies