Most Conservative and Liberal Presidents since 1964 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:36:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most Conservative and Liberal Presidents since 1964 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most Conservative and Liberal Presidents since 1964  (Read 11661 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« on: March 23, 2015, 01:51:02 PM »

1. Reagan-arch-mage of conservatism
2. George W.Bush-some social reform that wasn't awful
3. George HW Bush
4. Gerald Ford
5. Richard Nixon
6. Bill Clinton
7. Jimmy Carter
8. LBJ
9 Barack Obama

The president who told the banks he was on their side more liberal than the President who launched a war on poverty and ceased Jim Crow apartheid?

Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam

Has nothing to do with liberal or Conservative. Only Libertarians are consistently anti war and they aren't even on the political spectrum

In that case the question should be about domestic policy

Even if it's not, where do you get the logical notion or any historical evidence/reasoning to suggest that anti-war is an inherently more liberal position?  Or even civil rights, for that matter.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »

1. Reagan-arch-mage of conservatism
2. George W.Bush-some social reform that wasn't awful
3. George HW Bush
4. Gerald Ford
5. Richard Nixon
6. Bill Clinton
7. Jimmy Carter
8. LBJ
9 Barack Obama

The president who told the banks he was on their side more liberal than the President who launched a war on poverty and ceased Jim Crow apartheid?

Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam

Has nothing to do with liberal or Conservative. Only Libertarians are consistently anti war and they aren't even on the political spectrum

In that case the question should be about domestic policy

Even if it's not, where do you get the logical notion or any historical evidence/reasoning to suggest that anti-war is an inherently more liberal position?  Or even civil rights, for that matter.

FFS sorry that I was wrong about LBJ. He was the most liberal President ever, and I withdraw my remarks about Obama. Better?

I've just never understood the notion that being a war hawk is to the "right" on that issue, considering we've had several liberal Presidents who were interventionist and several conservative Presidents who weren't.  It seems pretty "outside" of political ideology.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:31 PM »

In the way that Mechaman (accurately) describes conservatism and liberalism - with motives being a lot more important than methods - this is my ranking:

1. Reagan
2. W Bush
3. HW Bush
4. Nixon
5. Ford
6. Clinton
7. Obama
8. Carter
9. LBJ

If we extended back to FDR, I'd insert Truman and FDR as the most liberal, JFK behind Clinton and above Obama and Eiswnhower above HW Bush and below W Bush.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:05:10 PM »

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Bill Clinton
3. Gerald Ford
4. GW Bush
5. Jimmy Carter
6. GHW Bush
7. Richard Nixon
8. Obama
9. Lyndon B Johnson

I am basing this almost entirely on economics.

People forget that Reaganomics began under Carter. Carter deregulated airlines-1978, trucking-1980, banking-1980. Carter in 1980 propsed a tax cut and higher defense spending.

Nixon floated the USD, tried to regulated wages and prices.

Ford was a fiscal conservative but after Wategate and 1974 elections many of his vetos were overridden.

I have George W Bush #1 because when he cut taxes he didnt cut any loop holes like Reagan did in the tax code. Plus Bush increased military spending to more then anytime since Vietnam when he inherited a military more cut then any time since 1946-1949. Plus he did nothing to hold the housing boom in 2005-2006

What about no child left behind? Medicare reform? Massive expansion of the Federal Government>

It's basically depending on whats your definition of conservatism

This last part!!!  And it seems nearly everyone here has a different one.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 03:06:05 PM »

CONSERVATIVE
-Eisenhower
-Nixon
-Reagan
-Johnson
-W. Bush
-H.W. Bush
-Ford
-Carter
-Clinton
LIBERAL

just........wow

Conservative refers to "conserving" tradition, does it not? The tradition of the post-Rooseveltian United States was the New Deal, so I ranked the presidents on how much they posed a threat to it. Liberals, obviously would seek to decimate it, such as when the radical Bill Clinton declared the end of "welfare as we know it". Compare that to conservatives like Johnson and Eisenhower who not only preserved this American tradition, but in fact expanded on it. I'll admit, not all of my placements were accurate, and some were put in place for arbitrary reasons. After all, while Reagan had a radical agenda, little of it was truly implemented, and he preserved the proud New Deal traditions of lavish federal spending and heightened nationalistic suspicion of other powers.

So would being pro-life be liberal?  I mean Roe v. Wade has stood for decades now.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:39:22 AM »

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Bill Clinton
3. Gerald Ford
4. GW Bush
5. Jimmy Carter
6. GHW Bush
7. Richard Nixon
8. Obama
9. Lyndon B Johnson

I am basing this almost entirely on economics.

People forget that Reaganomics began under Carter. Carter deregulated airlines-1978, trucking-1980, banking-1980. Carter in 1980 propsed a tax cut and higher defense spending.

Nixon floated the USD, tried to regulated wages and prices.

Ford was a fiscal conservative but after Wategate and 1974 elections many of his vetos were overridden.

I have George W Bush #1 because when he cut taxes he didnt cut any loop holes like Reagan did in the tax code. Plus Bush increased military spending to more then anytime since Vietnam when he inherited a military more cut then any time since 1946-1949. Plus he did nothing to hold the housing boom in 2005-2006

What about no child left behind? Medicare reform? Massive expansion of the Federal Government>

It's basically depending on whats your definition of conservatism

1986 Amnesty for illegals, 1986 gun ban, triples debt,

I feel like you're judging everyone off of these black and white standards that one learns in an intermediate AP Gov. class, LOL.  He can do some "liberal" things and still be one of the most conservative Presidents when it gets down to his views and rhetoric as a whole.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies