Most Conservative and Liberal Presidents since 1964 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:56:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Most Conservative and Liberal Presidents since 1964 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most Conservative and Liberal Presidents since 1964  (Read 11636 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: March 21, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »

1. Reagan-arch-mage of conservatism
2. George W.Bush-some social reform that wasn't awful
3. George HW Bush
4. Gerald Ford
5. Richard Nixon
6. Bill Clinton
7. Jimmy Carter
8. LBJ
9 Barack Obama
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 04:32:58 AM »

1. George W Bush
2. Ronald Reagan
3. George HW Bush
4. Gerald Ford
5. Barack Obama
6. Richard Nixon
7. Bill Clinton/Jimmy Carter
8 . Jimmy Carter/Bill Clinton
9.  Lyndon B Johnson

It wasn't entirely sure about seven and eight.

How was Bill Clinton more Liberal then Obama,Carter, Nixon

Bill Clinton- Cut the growth of government more then any president then IKE
                   Signed NAFTA
                   Welfare Reform of 1996
                   Deregulation
                   DOMA

If it werent for Social Issues he would basically be a Republican

Clinton was indeed way too conservative. But Carter's domestic policy was also on the right-deregulating transport, austerity, budget-cutting. Also, Clinton at least passed a few more progressive measures (CHIP, Americorps, environmental legislation) whereas Carter did almost nothing but fold to the right. On the hand, Carter's foreign policy was relatively progressive, as he did not launch any pointless military "interventions" whereas Clinton pointlessly bombed Mid East countries through 1998. So, it's a draw.

But whereas Carter and Clinton had certain diplomatic successes in promoting peace, Obama has almost totally accepted the Bush Doctrine. Also, his civil liberties is atrocious, and except for the token stimulus, his fiscal program has mostly been austerity. He wouldn't even repeal the Bush tax cuts with a deeply Democratic Congress.

I wouldnt say too Conservative as I agree with more of those policies and I consider myself a moderate. But Obama signed Obama Care, Refuses to invade ISIS territory(I dont mean nation build I mean go in defeat ISIS and leave), Supports Amnesty, Wants to raise taxes etc. For civil liberties Conservatives and Liberals should equally support them so I would say its more of a Liberatirian thing now.

Obamacare was a bailout to insurance and a betrayal to the progressive goal of public health care-even the lousy 1993 Clinton plan let state's set up single-payer systems with their Medicare. And he's launching drones killing thousands of people with mercy over ISIS even though it's clear another Iraqi conflict would be extremely foolish. The lack of ground troops is, in my opinion, a cheap way to have war without sparking a antiwar movement. I see no sign Obama wants to raise taxes; I mean, he extended the 2001 Bush tax cuts when even some of the Blue Dog's thought it was time for an increase. Every president since Reagan has supported amnesty.

As Bill Maher said why do people think 'yes we can' ended in 2008, and they could some how just expect Obama to fulfill his legacy.

Do you remember what happened to Clinton's 1993 healthcare plan? It failed. Do you know what happened to Obama's? It passed. Blame the congress for watering it down, and just being a pain the ass.

FFS whatever Obama does he gets bashed, he's got rid of the highest level of Bush Tax cuts whilst allowing the middle class to keep a tax cut. He's managed to turn around the economy, and actually create growth.

He's opened relations with Cuba-something Clinton never did. He's negotiated with Iran-something Clinton never did. He actually embraced LGBT rights rather than passing DADT like Clinton did. He didn't take a heavy axe to welfare, and then claim he's being like RFK-like Clinton did
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »

3. George HW Bush
4. Gerald Ford
5. Richard Nixon
6. Bill Clinton
7. Jimmy Carter
8. LBJ
9 Barack Obama

The president who told the banks he was on their side more liberal than the President who launched a war on poverty and ceased Jim Crow apartheid?

Vietnam, Vietnam, Vietnam
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 02:19:23 AM »

3. George HW Bush
4. Gerald Ford
5. Richard Nixon
6. Bill Clinton
7. Jimmy Carter
8. LBJ
9 Barack Obama

The president who told the banks he was on their side more liberal than the President who launched a war on poverty and ceased Jim Crow apartheid?

Has nothing to do with liberal or Conservative. Only Libertarians are consistently anti war and they aren't even on the political spectrum

In that case the question should be about domestic policy
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »

3. George HW Bush
4. Gerald Ford
5. Richard Nixon
6. Bill Clinton
7. Jimmy Carter
8. LBJ
9 Barack Obama

Has nothing to do with liberal or Conservative. Only Libertarians are consistently anti war and they aren't even on the political spectrum

In that case the question should be about domestic policy

Even if it's not, where do you get the logical notion or any historical evidence/reasoning to suggest that anti-war is an inherently more liberal position?  Or even civil rights, for that matter.

FFS sorry that I was wrong about LBJ. He was the most liberal President ever, and I withdraw my remarks about Obama. Better?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Bill Clinton
3. Gerald Ford
4. GW Bush
5. Jimmy Carter
6. GHW Bush
7. Richard Nixon
8. Obama
9. Lyndon B Johnson

I am basing this almost entirely on economics.

People forget that Reaganomics began under Carter. Carter deregulated airlines-1978, trucking-1980, banking-1980. Carter in 1980 propsed a tax cut and higher defense spending.

Nixon floated the USD, tried to regulated wages and prices.

Ford was a fiscal conservative but after Wategate and 1974 elections many of his vetos were overridden.

I have George W Bush #1 because when he cut taxes he didnt cut any loop holes like Reagan did in the tax code. Plus Bush increased military spending to more then anytime since Vietnam when he inherited a military more cut then any time since 1946-1949. Plus he did nothing to hold the housing boom in 2005-2006

What about no child left behind? Medicare reform? Massive expansion of the Federal Government>

It's basically depending on whats your definition of conservatism
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies