Opinion of Noam Chomsky
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:04:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Noam Chomsky
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: HP or FF?
HP

FF

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of Noam Chomsky  (Read 1991 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »

Vote!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »

YOU SHOULD START POLL OPTIONS WITH FF!!!!
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »

This is true.

Anyway, I'm pretty neutral. While I prefer him vastly to his neoconservative foes, for a genius, he drifts into black-and-white thinking a surprisingly large amount of the time.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 06:48:01 PM »

the Godfather of the left.  "a truth-teller on an epic scale", as one of his book jackets put it (it may have been Hopes and Prospects.)

the best work was the critique of major media and thought control in democratic societies, in both Manufacturing Consent and its follow-up Necessary Illusions, both of which have been formative in my political thinking.

the earlier essays, collected in American Power and the New Mandarins, are also quite good.

I write all this in case there's a teenager reading this and looking to start out with his work.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »

Relative FF.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »

an odious individual.

we live in the same town.  ive never seen him out and about.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:44:54 PM »

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »

Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »

Obvious FF is obvious.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »

Seeing this post followed by your avatar made it look like you were gunning me down over this.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 10:44:27 PM »

I feel like he gets by mostly on the fact that he has a memorable name.  If his name was Bill Olson, nobody would know who he is. 

My problem is that he's a devil's advocate against America and the forces of so-called "neo-liberalism."  Everything is the fault of America and/or neo-liberalism.  I think that's ridiculous, and it leads him to white-wash the crimes of non-American/non-neo-liberals, misinterpret the world and just build up these unfair arguments based on shoddy evidence. 

And, that's the problem with being a general expert of politics and linguistics.  Nobody is a general expert on that many topics and if you try, you're a first-class idiot.  Even the smartest person, and Noam Chomsky is very smart, would do well to be circumspect and humble as a thinker.  If you think you have the world figured out, or have some special insight, you're almost certainly wrong.  And, the longer you stay on that academic perch, the more out of touch and biased you become.  Your information net because more and more tainted by your own cognitive bias. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 05:06:10 AM »

the Godfather of the left.  "a truth-teller on an epic scale", as one of his book jackets put it (it may have been Hopes and Prospects.)

the best work was the critique of major media and thought control in democratic societies, in both Manufacturing Consent and its follow-up Necessary Illusions, both of which have been formative in my political thinking.

the earlier essays, collected in American Power and the New Mandarins, are also quite good.

I write all this in case there's a teenager reading this and looking to start out with his work.

They can start with this. Tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chomsky_normal_form
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 06:07:43 AM »

Freedom Fighter, in spite of some very real shortcomings (such as his apparent lack of understanding as to what Marxism is).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »

My problem is that he's a devil's advocate against America and the forces of so-called "neo-liberalism."  Everything is the fault of America and/or neo-liberalism.  I think that's ridiculous, and it leads him to white-wash the crimes of non-American/non-neo-liberals, misinterpret the world and just build up these unfair arguments based on shoddy evidence. 

he has stated in response to this line of argument that it's not his position to criticize or organize against power systems he has no capacity to influence.  it's not his job to criticize, say, Vladimir Putin's crackdown on Russian civil society, just as it wasn't the job of Soviet dissidents to organize against the Vietnam War.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 10:52:45 AM »

the Godfather of the left.  "a truth-teller on an epic scale", as one of his book jackets put it (it may have been Hopes and Prospects.)

They can start with this. Tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chomsky_normal_form

I've never been able to read more than a few pages of Syntactic Structures.  not my thing at all.  though he does occasionally give non-technical interviews on language that I can understand and find interesting.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 12:32:27 PM »

he has stated in response to this line of argument that it's not his position to criticize or organize against power systems he has no capacity to influence.  it's not his job to criticize, say, Vladimir Putin's crackdown on Russian civil society, just as it wasn't the job of Soviet dissidents to organize against the Vietnam War.

Isn't the convenient, "it's not my job to be fair or honest!  I'm sorry, if you're not being fair or honest, you're part of the problem.  If you are willing to divorce your beliefs and your actions from reality because you think you have an "enemy," you've just become a insane fanatic.  It's thoroughly unprincipled.

And, that's why you like him, you're a ridiculous, unprincipled fanatic. 
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »

it's the opposite of fanaticism, it's pragmatism.  if I have no conceivable way to change what happens in Somalia, but I do have plenty of ways which *may* influence what happens in New York, it makes sense for me to focus my energy on the latter.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 12:44:31 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2015, 12:46:24 PM by bedstuy »

it's the opposite of fanaticism, it's pragmatism.  if I have no conceivable way to change what happens in Somalia, but I do have plenty of ways which *may* influence what happens in New York, it makes sense for me to focus my energy on the latter.

It's not pragmatic to influence something just for the hell of it.  That's not the point of politics.  The point is to influence the world in a positive way, to improve people's lives and advance the cause of peace and justice.  So, you first need to have a principled understanding of the world and how to make it better, before you just declare one group "the enemy" and everyone else a "victim."

If you influence the world, and that influence is out of step with your principles or it doesn't actually help people, that's not good.  So, leave New York alone please.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 01:27:16 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2015, 08:11:53 AM by Torie »

thanks for that breakthrough treatise on morality & politics. I'll be referring back to it frequently.

besides, most of what I've taken part of in New York is quite benign. getting a rental housing unit approved in my hometown, organizing for state campaign finance reform, etc.  [redaction by Torie], but the moment is not quite right.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 03:33:18 PM »

Accidentally voted FF due to your heinous layout.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 07:01:47 AM »

HP
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 12:54:43 AM »

It's an interesting argument, but the idea that we leave protest to those in a position to influence it begs the question whether those people actually have a comparable voice in their society as we do in ours. Meaning that, we have a level freedom to speak out in our society, as imperfect as it may be, which is not found as much in much of the world.  So if we speak only on the faults of our own nation, and do not at least offer our moral support to those who are being persecuted for speaking out against the crimes of their nations, we result in a condemnation of our own nation while giving the impression through silence that other nations are blameless and meet with our approval.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies